Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Don't tell me how to feed MY baby!!!!!!!

So, I've heard all this bad stuff about baby cereal and oatmeal. I even made a post in group asking a question but no one answered my question because they were so intent upon tell me how bad feeding my baby oatmeal was and that I should do "baby led solids" and completly skip baby food all together. I did research it and decided that "bab led solids" just wasn't for me...especially seeing as how we get FREE baby food through my WIC. Why let all that food go to waste? I understand that people have opinions but someone could have at least answered my question before telling me what to feed MY baby. >.>

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Replies (181-190):
emeraldangel2.0
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:53 PM

i do too. i have no problem with pa for the most part, but i know how this site works, or, rather, the women that use the site

Quoting wishbearmom:

I think if it wasn't for WIC, there would be so many babies and children in my community who would not receive proper nutrition. I've read (and personally witnessed) PA scammers, but in my opinion, WIC is a worthwhile government expenditure.

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

you're new huh? that was actually NICE compared to what i've seen. take everything here with a grain of salt.

and be prepared to be bashed for getting wic. nothing people here hate more than someone declaring they're on public assistance.

wishbearmom
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Thank-you for understanding the intention behind my reply!

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

i do too. i have no problem with pa for the most part, but i know how this site works, or, rather, the women that use the site

Quoting wishbearmom:

I think if it wasn't for WIC, there would be so many babies and children in my community who would not receive proper nutrition. I've read (and personally witnessed) PA scammers, but in my opinion, WIC is a worthwhile government expenditure.

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

you're new huh? that was actually NICE compared to what i've seen. take everything here with a grain of salt.

and be prepared to be bashed for getting wic. nothing people here hate more than someone declaring they're on public assistance.

Beth3721
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Baby food is fine.  We didn't use it because my DD didn't like any of it and would have rather chewed on a piece of toast or other mushy foods.

Bek22
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Baby cereal is fine. It is for such a brief period that babies get it. All moms are different about feeding their babies. Who is to say who is right and who is wrong? I have 4 and all of mine ate differently. Number 3 gagged on food so much that I never thought she would get the hang of it. She was on baby food the longest. I do prefer to feed mine organic which is just my choice, not saying that it is the way you should go. Talk to your pediatrician and as long as you are feeding your baby a healthy variety of foods, then you are doing great. I don't know why people get so worked up about how other people feed their children.

shortyali
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Quoting JenniferMiller0:

And you were answered a few times. No one jumped all over you, they answered and gave you information. Up to you if you want to take it or not.
gumeshoe
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Would you ask Dr. Oz what the best soda was if you are going to decide to drink soda? He would explain again as he has many time why soda is bad and tell you other options. I really doubt he would answer your question.

I would not help a mom do something that I believed was going to hurt her child and go against my beliefs. There has been a rash of postings in that group lately of why cereal is bad.

Unfortunately your post was very unclear. You didn't say I know that most here think cereal is bad but I have chosen to give it to my baby, I have read the other recent posts about that. I just have a question about pumping the milk to add to that cereal. I haven't pumped in months, my baby is 7 months old and I am wondering if I pump the small amount needed for the cereal I would cause myself a problem with oversupply.  (That is just all the facts that I could figure out from your post)  You never posted if you wanted to pump once a week for that weeks milk or once a day. You never explained what pumping you have tried so far either and how that went. No one had the needed info to answer the question you wanted answered.

What was clear to them a mom was trying to do something that many consider detrimental to a baby. They gave you the Dr. Oz answer PROCESSED FOOD IS BAD. Processed food being bad for you is a common belief now and days.

BTW I do by a bag of Cheetos everyonce in a while and drink a soda, but I have no belief that either is good for me. What you do is your choice. I never thought of it until recently that baby cereals and formula are super processed foods, so I don't want to give either to my baby. My belief is that hamber helper isn't great but baby cereal is far worse. So I would not go to a healthy living group and ask them what soda was the best of the worst option then get mad when they didn't answer me and just educated me on other options.

powers2704
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting SlapItHigh:

I would thank them for sharing important info with you.  If you don't believe it, or you believe it but feel that free food is more important, then by all means go the route of your choice.  Why wouldn't you want the information though?  As mothers, it's important that we share with each other.

. If to feel free food is more important!? What a snoody comment, she probably meant that if wic is giving out baby food for people who may need the help then it is probably not as bad as other people are making it sound. That's what I took from it anyway, with an open mind..... To each their own. I do agree though that not all opinions are going to make you feel good or be what you want to hear. Everyone is different and every baby is different. Do what you feel is right and what works for you. There are so many opinionated people out here these days that think they know everything. May be what works for them but may not be the path you need to go with! Just an FYI I have worked hard for years make too much money for any other assistance and only receive wic. I'm in the middle, not playing the system but wic is a big help. Not everyone who has wic is a person unplowed or lazy!!!!! Even if unemployed you do not know their situation so calm it with the snide remarks.
lizzistardust
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Do what works best for you and your baby.  Period.

We tried cereals and baby food and, in our case, our son was just more interested insoft finger foods.  No biggie, we switched to what worked for him.  (It also had the added benefit of us being able to put food on his tray and just help him out a little as we ate.)

In that sense, it's all "baby led!"

Monise78
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
The problem is the women on here think what they do is the Bible. I have 4 children who all had cereal none of which had any problems. It's their opinions not facts. No matter what you do there will be someone especially on here to tell you how irresponsible you are for doing it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lady_Mondego
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM
I'm curious why the only website listed for information supporting your claims is one that us an op-Ed opinion site. A dotcom not a dot org or anything that has to be held to factual standards yet you trust your research from those sites and criticise a woman that chooses to trust information from a doctor with medical training. If you don't trust your kids doctor then you should find another and if you are standing in facts from a dotcom site you might as well believe in ufos too. Also those preaching about the tradutional methods that have kept the species alive for thousands of years seem to have conveniently forgot that infant birth rates in those times were massive but today with science we have the lowest infant mortality rates ever. So if you want to follow the site your group is preaching as gospel which advocates feeding babies semi raw eggs (ridiculous) then go on ahead but don't imagine you have the better or best information at hand.

Quoting mama2gg:

that's SCARY you trust someone else so much with YOUR child, do your OWN research don't follow blindly that's HORRID for your child PERIOD not from my mouth from the GOVERNMENTS

Quoting Pooobaihr:

I don't get it either. I go with what my doc says and he's a great doc.  He's even told me to put a little rice in the formula sometimes. Not enough to make it thick and clumpy, but just enough to where it still comes through the nipple.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN