Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Don't tell me how to feed MY baby!!!!!!!

So, I've heard all this bad stuff about baby cereal and oatmeal. I even made a post in group asking a question but no one answered my question because they were so intent upon tell me how bad feeding my baby oatmeal was and that I should do "baby led solids" and completly skip baby food all together. I did research it and decided that "bab led solids" just wasn't for me...especially seeing as how we get FREE baby food through my WIC. Why let all that food go to waste? I understand that people have opinions but someone could have at least answered my question before telling me what to feed MY baby. >.>

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Replies (161-170):
bear.katten
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Fact: Babies do not have enough of the enzyme needed to digest ANY grains until they are at least 1 year old.
Fact: Pediatricians have minimal training/education in nutrition and really shouldnt be giving parents advice on when to start baby on solids or what solids to start them on.
You should speak to a nutritionist. But look up the facts about enzymes and how babies digest grains and you will find the information you are looking for.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Yeah I asked a question about weather I need to pump when DS has baby food to keep supply up or if it will work out and i got 100 people telling me ds is too young for baby food and it shouldn't be a meal it should just be a snack...wasn't asking about that only asked if i should pump to make up for the feeding. Kinda made me mad to be honest with you, its my baby if I wanna give him baby food at 4 months then that is my choice. Sorry I agree with you. It makes me mad that some people think pushing thier beliefs on you is giving a helpful hand.

rstuart66
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I wish I hadn't started baby food.  Now she's older and is not wanting to chew or learn to eat "big girl" foods.  Not sure if I should just yank it all or take baby food away a bit at a time.

YHanton
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I fed my son cereal mixed with my breastmilk and I had no problems at all he is now 16 months. I have a 3month old daughter that I feed oatmeal to. I wish I would have done the oatmeal instead of the rice cereal with all of my children. With the oatmeal she isn't constipated. Oatmeal actually keeps both of them (my 16 month old and my 3 month old) regular. NO WORRIES HERE....

Courtnut
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM
I'm doing baby led weaning. Skipping the whole stupid spoon feeding crap, and not feeding my child cereal or rice cardboard. :) very high levels of arsenic
Mitzi31
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually saw a recent post about baby cereals and oatmeal and if I'm not mistaken there were plenty of replies with links on the nutritional value and also that  research has shown that babies don't have the enzyme to actually break down the components in the cereals until they are a year. Now... I was raised on cereals and not bashing anyone for doing it but I choose not to. I take all research with a grain of salt but I've chosen to not give it to my babies because to me there's no reason to do so and I don't want to take that chance. Also if baby is breast fed they say that the iron in the cereals can block absorption of the iron in breast milk.. I think that's the correct info. I can't argue cause I haven't done enough research... Just stating that it's not that many people on here bashing. If you ask a question you are going to get some people's opinion. If you don't want opinions put it in your post to start with.

Courtnut
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Its NOT free. Everyone else is paying for it. Just saying! Letting your baby feed themselves when they're ready with no extra sodium and preservatives makes more sense.
ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Are you aware of the group on here for moms of children with sensory issues? :)

Quoting corrinacs:

Just do what you know is best!!!!!

I feed my baby cereal....why?  Because he has sensory issues and will not (cannot really) eat other textures right now.  I tried baby led solids and that went terribly :/.  He wasn't eating ANYTHING and starting to refuse bottles.  So, according to everyone on Cafemom I'm doing EVERYTHING wrong LOL.

He's on formula.....toddler soy formula at that.  He's allergic to milk.  He's still on purees and rice cereal.  He will eat cheerios, but that's not all that nutriciuos.

Besides, I don't what's so wrong with baby cereal either.  I get the organic kind.  Has quite a few vitamins and minerals :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiedidit02
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM

We have WIC and my youngest, now 14 months, took months for her to eat solids (baby food). I just didn't push. I gave her rice cereal maybe 3x's. It is just nasty and why force that on her. But this is how my children are. Go ahead and get the baby food that WIC gives you, donate it later if it doesn't get used. They always gave us way more than we needed. Just go with how your child reacts to food, if he seems starving and enjoys it that feed him all he wants. if he doesn't really have an interest than try it again in a few days.

Cemommster
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Quoting Pooobaihr:

last time I checked, BABIES/INFANTS are who use bottles.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)