Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Don't tell me how to feed MY baby!!!!!!!

So, I've heard all this bad stuff about baby cereal and oatmeal. I even made a post in group asking a question but no one answered my question because they were so intent upon tell me how bad feeding my baby oatmeal was and that I should do "baby led solids" and completly skip baby food all together. I did research it and decided that "bab led solids" just wasn't for me...especially seeing as how we get FREE baby food through my WIC. Why let all that food go to waste? I understand that people have opinions but someone could have at least answered my question before telling me what to feed MY baby. >.>

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Replies (171-180):
NiCo86
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM
what was your question? i used cereal in my sons formula for a little while (he didnt like it) and though we tried baby food, he just progressed to solids quickly. maybe i could help some??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
azeventdiva
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Someone probably already replied to this, but I don't have time to read through all the replies. So, here's my answer. If you are already pumping, then simply add some of that to the cereal. It will actually make the cereal somewhat beneficial if you add the BM to it at least. I've been on WIC before in the past, and understand that they give PLENTY of baby food. However, that doesn't mean it's the BEST for baby. When I was on it, I would get a little bit of the baby cereal and add BM to it. But, never did any other baby foods. All other foods my children ate, were the same as what I ate, just cut tiny, or ground up. And, by the time I had my second child, I had stepped away from the baby cereals all together too. But, that's ME. Like I said, adding the BM to the cereal is the best thing you can do with it, if you are choosing to use the cereal. Shouldn't increase your supply if you're already pumping any how. And, even if you just pump a single bottle a day, it probably wont make much of a difference.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

I asked if adding a pumping session in so i have bm to put in the oatmeal would increase my supply. Cause I already have a pretty heavy supply. And I do understand that people have different opinions and I did do research before deciding to feed him oatmeal. I'm not anemic but my iron levels are rather low, according to the last blood test I had when I got my second shot of depo. It's just barely high enough for me to not be considered anemic.

Quoting BelleVernonGirl:

I always fed mine cereal...I got WIC as well..they are 16 and fine...I don't see the problem.  What was the original question you asked about it?  I missed it...

hopinforanother
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I'm on WIC and still used the BLW method. I just skipped picking up the free baby food.

Trisha-g
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I think people give advice bc we, as a society, have to deal with what you churn out. Not referring to cereal, just in general.
cali_angel_girl
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I agree with a lot of the other ladies you just have to learn to take everything with a grain of salt.  We all raise our children differently and at the end of the day you just need to do what you feel is best for your child no matter what anyone else says.

AugustMidge
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I don't really use cereals, didn't with my daughter either (she's turning two years old on the 24th of this month) what I did was start with Avocado, Bananas, Peas, Green Beans ... and so on then started mixing them.  I made majority of my own food and added flavor. Meaning small amounts of pepper and garlic, whatever spices that tasted good with purposed veggie. 

My reasoning was that didn't want my babies first foods be something with such little nutritional value. Not that Oatmeal isn't good for you, it is and we feed it to our daughter in the morning but I didn't want a Starch to be the primary first food. 

Have fun introducing foods. It was fun for me I loved the facial expressions they give. 

supercarp
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Cereal is good. Don't feed it to your baby until he is 6 months old. All pediatricians say that.

supercarp
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:43 PM

What is a purposed veggie?

Quoting AugustMidge:

I don't really use cereals, didn't with my daughter either (she's turning two years old on the 24th of this month) what I did was start with Avocado, Bananas, Peas, Green Beans ... and so on then started mixing them.  I made majority of my own food and added flavor. Meaning small amounts of pepper and garlic, whatever spices that tasted good with purposed veggie. 

My reasoning was that didn't want my babies first foods be something with such little nutritional value. Not that Oatmeal isn't good for you, it is and we feed it to our daughter in the morning but I didn't want a Starch to be the primary first food. 

Have fun introducing foods. It was fun for me I loved the facial expressions they give. 

NewMomma.S
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Baby cereal is actually just unnecessary. "They" say you need it to acclimate your baby's gut to solid foods but that was actually just a very successful marketing campaign by cereal companies. If you're worried about iron there are lots of fresh foods with that are high in iron like parsley. I started my baby on squash, then banana and avocado and she never had problems with her stomach. Of course it's your child, you can do what you like. Just maybe try a little research on your own from different sources rather than taking advice from a bunch of us on here :)
wishbearmom
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I think if it wasn't for WIC, there would be so many babies and children in my community who would not receive proper nutrition. I've read (and personally witnessed) PA scammers, but in my opinion, WIC is a worthwhile government expenditure.

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

you're new huh? that was actually NICE compared to what i've seen. take everything here with a grain of salt.

and be prepared to be bashed for getting wic. nothing people here hate more than someone declaring they're on public assistance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN