Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Don't tell me how to feed MY baby!!!!!!!

So, I've heard all this bad stuff about baby cereal and oatmeal. I even made a post in group asking a question but no one answered my question because they were so intent upon tell me how bad feeding my baby oatmeal was and that I should do "baby led solids" and completly skip baby food all together. I did research it and decided that "bab led solids" just wasn't for me...especially seeing as how we get FREE baby food through my WIC. Why let all that food go to waste? I understand that people have opinions but someone could have at least answered my question before telling me what to feed MY baby. >.>

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Replies (201-210):
mishamama
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:20 PM
3 moms liked this
Doesn't WIC give you a certain amount to purchase fruits+veges, also grains and beans/lentils? Why not just make your own baby food at home with fresh produce?

Also, solids after 6 months ladies. I can't believe the amount of women offering food to a one and two month old. Shit, even back in the day it was 4 months plus. I'm sick of hearing "My baby is ahead or not full enough",your baby can be "smart" or ahead for their age but that doesn't mean their anatomy is any different from every other two and three month old.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
zacmacsmomm
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Ok generally didn't have that problem and I'm talking about obesity in childhood.  Yes there were children I knew who were obese, but far and few between, it wasn't anywhere near epidemic.  Oh and far as celiacs disease, yea wasn't a huge issue when I was growing up.  I'm 42 years old not 22, so I was given cereal in a bottle at 6 weeks, I have NONE of the above mentioned problems.  Obesity is a problem because people are too busy and too lazy to eat well and excersise.  AND there is also a genetic factor.  Like I said, something has happened in the last 20 or so years for all these issues to be croping up like they have.  Yes there were peanut allergies when I was growing up, but nowhere near what they are today, same with other food allergies.  It's really scary to have a baby this day and age.  Glad I'm done with that. 

Quoting tyrelsmom:

You mean you don't know anyone with irritable bowel syndrome? Celiac?
And our generation is mostly a bunch of fatasses, lol. I think you saying obesity isn't a problem for our generation is funny as hell. Not everything shows up right away.

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

It's funny how feeding solids and that stuff to a baby leads to obesity.  Kid's in my generation and my moms generation didn't have that issue.  My children don't have that issue.  Not saying that everyone should put cereal in a baby's bottle.  I did, but that was back in 93 and my son was a piggy pig when it came to food :).  
Also my generation didn't generally have problems with food allergies, digestion issues, choking etc...Something happened within the last generation to make our systems go all wonky.  I have no regrets about how I fed my children when they were babies, none, as they are very healthy.  But if I had a baby now, I would do something different with feeding, more with organics and stuff. 

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Haha thank you. that makes a lot of sense. I am fully a carseat advocate, my 9 year old just got out of her harness last year and is still in a booster. you are right. i dont know why i didnt consider the parallel. completely overlooked it. i just got so used to the 'old fasioned' way of babies and food

Quoting louzannalady:

*shrug* Just because we did not know better then, does not mean that we don't know better know. It is kind of like car seats. When my mother was born, they brought her home in my grandmother's arms in the front seat. As we learn better, we do better. 

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

You know. I read stuff like this, and i cant help but think, how is it that we are all alive today. 

in the 70s and 80s and into the 90s it was common practice, and encouraged by doctors to put rice cereal into babys bottle by 3 months or so, to help them sleep through the night. 

we all should have choked to death aparently. 

Quoting louzannalady:

Unless your child is having severe medical issues, and it is approved by the doctor, it is very unsafe to put anything but breast milk or formula in a bottle, because it is a choking hazard. Also, any introduction of solids before six months is connected to obesity, diabetes, food allergies, stomach infection and a whole host of other health issues. Babies under six months have an open gut and everything that enters their stomach goes into their blood steam. 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117811/forums/read/17640862/Reasons_to_delay_solids_What_to_start_with#mce_temp_url#

Quoting Onesecsmile:

My son is 3 months old, is it too soon to introduce rice cereal to his bottle?

Quoting celestegood:

Same here!  My son used formula with rice in it-and someone said I should not have done that.  Yeah, his five doctors and two surgeons were totally wrong.  (my son had airway surgery at seven months of age, and came out of it with a feeding tube.  He needed the AR formula so he could drink the formula, for some reason the normal formula he would drink by mouth would just come right up)

We used the AR formula and it helped his reflux and stopped him from losing all his formula every time he was fed.  His doctors were right.

Some stranger on cm just doesn't know what you are going through and should not judge.

Quoting LyTe684:

LOL I know... for some reason people can't help it though. I was e-lectured about giving my kid cereal in her bottle for reflux. I was told I should use the special made formula for reflux instead because cereal is bad and just a filler..

uhh.. you mean the formula that has CEREAL in it? LOL

NYChicago
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM
I fed my girls rice cereal. They loved it and now they are healthy, intelligent, tall-for-their-age 8 year olds. If the oatmeal you're feeding your baby is whole rolled oats and not the instant stuff that's full of sugar, I don't see anything wrong with it. We also did baby food, and again, everything is fine. Of course, everyone has to do what they feel is best and is comfortable with. There is so much contrasting information out there it gets confusing as to what is good and what is not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SerenityBerry
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM

As far as I am concerned what I feed my children is not for anyone else to say. If I have a question regarding their nutrition I will ask a qualified professional, rather than the online arm chair expert brigade. 

I don't have an issue with people having opinions, I have an issue with people expressing their opinions in a manner that demeans others and is stated as a command or law rather than what it is, a personal opinion. 

There is no one absolute right way to parent, no two children are exactly alike what is best for one may not be best for another. Trust your own instincts regarding what is best for your child, no one knows them as well as you. If we make a mistake, oh well, we're human, we learn and adjust as we go and as they grow, There are very few things that are irreversible or that will catastrophically effect them for the rest of their lives, and odds are you'll catch on before it reaches that point. 

Jennydawn85
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I would thank them for sharing important info with you.  If you don't believe it, or you believe it but feel that free food is more important, then by all means go the route of your choice.  Why wouldn't you want the information though?  As mothers, it's important that we share with each other.

This is what she is talking about judging for accepting assistance, don't make her feel bad for finding a way to care for her baby.

thanush
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Rice cereal got my DD constipated and gave her bad diaper rashes. She had that problem until she was about 18 mo. She could not eat rice ( now she can). She didn't have a problem with oatmeal and I added it to thicken some food like carrot purée. I made my baby food at home and only used the bottled ones when we go out. I too skipped cereal and started with banana, orange veggies, fruits, green veggies and then meats.

achorney
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I was warned against open gut in babies from feeding solids too early, and how baby cereal is very hard to digest because it's a grain.

Everyone has to make their own decisions. 

KyKosMommy
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:46 PM
OMG, no oatmeal for babies . Just do what the doctor says, not internet know-it-alls. DS2 had oatmeal in his bottle for his reflux. DS3 has Simply Thick . His doctors say it is a must and he was FTT before it & Elecare. No internet know it all is going to get me to change this either. He is 14 mos now anyway. Finally made it to 20 lbs.
JenniferMiller0
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Wow. O.O  Had no idea this topic would get this many posts. I thank everyone for their opinions/advice. Long story short, I will be doing what I think best is for my son...which includes continuing feeding him baby oatmeal. He only eats about 2 small spoonfuls of it anyway.

GwenGray
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM

If you are talking about the post you are thinking... then I did answer it, and I agreed that baby cereal is just fine because I gave it to both my oldest and now my youngest and they are healthy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)