Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Don't tell me how to feed MY baby!!!!!!!

So, I've heard all this bad stuff about baby cereal and oatmeal. I even made a post in group asking a question but no one answered my question because they were so intent upon tell me how bad feeding my baby oatmeal was and that I should do "baby led solids" and completly skip baby food all together. I did research it and decided that "bab led solids" just wasn't for me...especially seeing as how we get FREE baby food through my WIC. Why let all that food go to waste? I understand that people have opinions but someone could have at least answered my question before telling me what to feed MY baby. >.>

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Replies (21-30):
BelleVernonGirl
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Sorry I know nothing about bf...sounds like a pretty solid question...and you got jumped for it?

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

I asked if adding a pumping session in so i have bm to put in the oatmeal would increase my supply. Cause I already have a pretty heavy supply. And I do understand that people have different opinions and I did do research before deciding to feed him oatmeal. I'm not anemic but my iron levels are rather low, according to the last blood test I had when I got my second shot of depo. It's just barely high enough for me to not be considered anemic.

Quoting BelleVernonGirl:

I always fed mine cereal...I got WIC as well..they are 16 and fine...I don't see the problem.  What was the original question you asked about it?  I missed it...

ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:35 PM
You can feed your baby oatmeal. Nothing wrong with that. I got WIC ton. All of my boys had cereal and baby food. They are all healthy boys. Feed your baby what you want and f*** everyone else. Your baby. Your choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TNorris
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:42 AM

My 2nd son is 5 months now and I have never heard that cereal is bad for babies???  Can anyone tell me why it has been decided that it is bad?  And what are "baby led solids"?

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I kind of remember that post. What was your question?

I have fed my baby's what I felt they needed at the time. My middle child was having problems keeping food down, so I thickened the formula with some cereal. No more problems keeping it down. No other adverse reactions either.

Good luck. Sorry you had to go through that. 

PrettyMomma24
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:36 AM
I went through the same thing when I had my first daughter. My SIL (who has no kids) would bitch and complain about me giving MY daughter oatmeal and baby food when she was like 3 months old. I used to be up like every 1 1/2 feeding her and it was the only thing that would keep her full. I would get told my her that my daughter would have stomach problems blah blah blah. She's never had a problem in her life. Just follow your instinct! Don't listen to anybody but yourself and people you trust obviously. Everyone is always going to have their own opinion of what you should do. Good luck!!
Keatonzmom
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

What? I never heard cereal being bad for babies. That's crazy. I fed my son the rice cereal mixed with breastmilk when he was old enough and he loved it! He never had any problems. Shoot my dad fed all of my siblings and I cereal when we were in our early months and we turned out fine with no intestinal problems or whatever they say is bad. Just think of it this way. Back in the day they didn't know half of this stuff we do and the things our parents use to do... did we turn out ok? Most of us I think so. Don't worry about it and ya don't let the free food go to waste. And why would WIC give you free food like that if it was so bad for your baby? lol.

pregnancy calendar

ApachePunk
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM
8 moms liked this

The reason it is unhealthy is because the enzyme necessary to process starch/grains is not present in the infant gut under the age of 1 year and grains can cause damage, even unseen, unknown damage, to their gut. baby led solids or not, the scientific fact is that infant cereal is not good for a child under 1 year of age. maybe it is hard to read someones attitude/intent online in how they tell you things, but most people just care about giving correct information.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/why-ditch-infant-cereals/

monica4_85
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM

So you get WIC. Whats wrong with that? Lots of people get WIC. I had it w/ both my boys. It helped a lot!! The nurses there gave really helpful info and thou it sometimes conflicted w/ pediatricians info it was helpful none the less. And as someone else said they are finding new stuff out everyday. My grandmother who has a masters in nursing told me that i should give my son Caro syrup when he was constipated. She'd given it to all her kids and they were fine. But now drs are dead set against it because it can cause bauchulism. So feed your baby what you feel is best as long as you know the risks and are ok w/ them go ahead. It's your baby! 

BethanyJ
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Baby cereal is nutritionally insignificant and really doesn't provide much for the kiddo -- but it's not harmful either, or at least I don't think so.  I used it with my kids but it's not necessary.  I say do whatever you kid seems to like.  

LyTe684
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM

LOL I know... for some reason people can't help it though. I was e-lectured about giving my kid cereal in her bottle for reflux. I was told I should use the special made formula for reflux instead because cereal is bad and just a filler..

uhh.. you mean the formula that has CEREAL in it? LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN