Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Don't tell me how to feed MY baby!!!!!!!

So, I've heard all this bad stuff about baby cereal and oatmeal. I even made a post in group asking a question but no one answered my question because they were so intent upon tell me how bad feeding my baby oatmeal was and that I should do "baby led solids" and completly skip baby food all together. I did research it and decided that "bab led solids" just wasn't for me...especially seeing as how we get FREE baby food through my WIC. Why let all that food go to waste? I understand that people have opinions but someone could have at least answered my question before telling me what to feed MY baby. >.>

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Replies (291-300):
TNorris
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Thank you for finally answering my question!  But if the enzymes in infant cereal can cause damage, why would any dr recommend starting you child on infant cereal before age 1?  Is it that the probability is very low?

My 5 month old son is back to waking up once in the night and again in the early am for a feeding, but I think a lot of it is he likes to drink to go back to sleep...very frustrating for me when a bottle is the only thing that will suffice.

angelmj
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Actually after posting this I did look into and love the idea of baby-led weaning now. I had heard about it but since my new baby won't be born till Monday did not feel the need to look into it just yet. Then I opened my mouth on CM realizing I had not yet done any real research lol.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Actually there is more risk of baby choking on purees since the care taker is controling the spoon(and extremely higher chance.of choking on cereal in a bottle), how far it goes, often over riding their natural gag reflex. It's extremely rare to choke on solids when it's baby led. Id encourage you to look into it, not to necessarily do it but at least learn something new

Quoting angelmj:

Isn't baby-led weaning hazardous sometimes anyways? Choking? 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I had the same reaction with my middle child when i first heard about it. I thought it was silly and babies would all just choke. Now with baby number 3 we've chosen to follow it and its much easier and we really like it, so does she :)

Quoting angelmj:

Actually after posting this I did look into and love the idea of baby-led weaning now. I had heard about it but since my new baby won't be born till Monday did not feel the need to look into it just yet. Then I opened my mouth on CM realizing I had not yet done any real research lol.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Actually there is more risk of baby choking on purees since the care taker is controling the spoon(and extremely higher chance.of choking on cereal in a bottle), how far it goes, often over riding their natural gag reflex. It's extremely rare to choke on solids when it's baby led. Id encourage you to look into it, not to necessarily do it but at least learn something new

Quoting angelmj:

Mrs.Sells
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

What do molars have to do with a babies stomach? If you have a daughter and she gets her period at 10, I guess that means she should have a baby right away

Quoting momtoBrenna:

Just because I'm bored, I want to throw my two cents in that both of my children had their first molars fully in by 8-9 months old. In fact, my dd had all but her 2 yr molars by 14 months old and my ds had all but his 2 yr molars by 15 months old. That said, my dd got baby oatmeal starting around 6 months but my ds hated it so he didn't get it after the first few tries. 

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

I'll answer for you:-)

Babies can’t digest it.

In order to digest grains, your body needs to make use of an enzyme called amylase. Amylase is the enzyme responsible for splitting starches. And, guess what? Babies don’t make amylase in large enough quantities to digest grains until after they are a year old at the earliest. Sometimes it can take up to two years. You see, newborns don’t produce amylase at all. Salivary amylase makes a small appearance at about 6 months old, but pancreatic amylase (what you need to actually digest grains) is not produced until molar teeth are fully developed! First molars usually don’t show up until 13-19 months old, on average.

Undigested grains wreak havoc on your baby’s intestinal lining. It can throw off the balance of bacteria in their gut and lead to lots of complications as they age including: food allergies, behavioral problems, mood issues, and more.

What does this mean? Don’t feed your baby grains (or even highly starchy foods), until all of their first molars have emerged. This means no rice cereals, no Cheerios, no Goldfish, no oatmeal, no infant crackers. It means that when you sit down with them at a restaurant, you shouldn’t placate them with the free rolls.

Feeding your baby grains displaces other, more important nutrients.

If you feed your baby cereal or other grains, you’re doing more than simply sticking them with an indigestible food. You’re feeding them an indigestible food in place of something more nutrient-dense. You’re feeding them something their body can’t really use and starving them of the nutrients they need to grow a healthy brain, nervous system, and bone structure.

Another issue is feeding iron fortified foods to a breastfeeding baby actually blocks the natural iron in the milk from absorbing. This causes anemia in baby.

And the reason so many choose baby led solids is its easier and healthier. Baby food is mostly water. It also doesn't have as many nutrients as feedings the non pureed version.

WIC gives you checks for foods. You don't have to use all the checks. So nothing is going to waste, someone else buys the food. Many moms don't use the baby food vouchers and use the fruits and veggie vouchers instead. Theres also many who get the baby food and cereal and donate it.

angelmj
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I know I am for sure going to do it with baby number two now. MIL is going to think I'm insane though. /: Her kid choked on a piece of cantaloupe at age 3 so she freaks out about things like this. I felt the need to say well I choked on a wiener (from a hot dog lol) when I was 23 should we take solid food away from me also? If she decides to attack me for it I need to be able to defend it. So yep I shall be doing plenty of research. Ugh, why can't people just let you raise your kids?

Quoting melindabelcher:

I had the same reaction with my middle child when i first heard about it. I thought it was silly and babies would all just choke. Now with baby number 3 we've chosen to follow it and its much easier and we really like it, so does she :)

Quoting angelmj:

Quoting melindabelcher:

Quoting angelmj:

Mrs.Sells
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

So since he has sensory issues, you stuffed him to make him happy?

Quoting Pooobaihr:

Or you could just be acting like a pain in the butt "sanctimommy" and think that I just feed my kid cereal straight out the womb. XDDD  Who knew that I had to give every detail of everything when I post a response. Oh wait, I forget, this is cafemom where everyone knows everyone and is in everyone's lives in every second of the day and you sit in my window and just know how I parent.

:D Well here is a few facts for you, when my child got the age where it was OKAY to feed them food, (CEREAL).  My doctor informed me that it was OKAY to put a little cereal in his formula to help fill him up BECAUSE my son has always had issues with eating and never seems to get full. Because see my deary, he has SENSORY ISSUES.  He NEVER is full.  It was only until he got to about 4yrs old where he began to fill the food in his stomach.

So yes, Miss Fly-on-my-wall.  While he was an infant, he breast fed up until he was about 6 months, then formula fed and then when he got to the age of FOODS, I put cereal in his bottle.

Is that enough detail information for you?  XDDDDDDDDDD  PS, this worked quite well for my kid and he is 8 years old now going on 9.  No sids for him.

Quoting mama2gg:

If you are putting rice in a bottle this mean there is NO FOOD in his life = common knowledge meaning BABY as over 6 months you would be feeding your child food

Or I could be wrong and your not following blindly your just too lazy to feed your baby food of they are not too young to eat cereals

Quoting Pooobaihr:

Well since you feel so keen on quoting me, please quote where I mentioned an infant?

Quoting mama2gg:

Ha you just said in this quote you do what your doctor said just because they are a good "doctor" no reference what so ever to the fact that babies can't digest food till they can sit up alone ever so yeahh you are ffollowing blindly because you know nothing based on facts...

Rice in a bottle = sids, choking hazard, no nutrition

Food NO FOOD should ever be put into a bottle ever ever ever research it your self American Academy of Pediatrics stats- a baby should be able to sit unassisted and use a pincher grasp before introducing cereals or baby foods of any kind

Quoting Pooobaihr:

Um.... yeah, no.

-.- I don't follow blindly, but you're free to think as you wish. :D

Quoting mama2gg:

that's SCARY you trust someone else so much with YOUR child, do your OWN research don't follow blindly that's HORRID for your child PERIOD not from my mouth from the GOVERNMENTS

Quoting Pooobaihr:

I don't get it either. I go with what my doc says and he's a great doc.  He's even told me to put a little rice in the formula sometimes. Not enough to make it thick and clumpy, but just enough to where it still comes through the nipple.

melindabelcher
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
pedis only get limited training in nutrition while in school. Most of their information is sent to then from formula and baby food companies. That's not biased at all lol. they really arent qualified to even give nutritional advice. Any nutritional advice they offer really should be taken as you would from any other acquaintance.

Night waking, while frustrating is actually common and a natural defense to sids. I would continue to meet his nutritional needs at night and try to remember it's just for a time. Some day your baby boy will be going to college and you may miss your quiet night times together.

My 9mo is still up evey 1-3hrs at night. And I've got 2 older kids to care for during the day. It's very tiring but I try to remember that shes still little and obviously still needs to eat at night.
Hopefully both our littles will begin sleeping better soon! :)

Quoting TNorris:

Thank you for finally answering my question!  But if the enzymes in infant cereal can cause damage, why would any dr recommend starting you child on infant cereal before age 1?  Is it that the probability is very low?

My 5 month old son is back to waking up once in the night and again in the early am for a feeding, but I think a lot of it is he likes to drink to go back to sleep...very frustrating for me when a bottle is the only thing that will suffice.

Pooobaihr
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM

No, gave him rice so he could feel it. Didn't stuff him. Stuffing would be giving him a lot more than he needed and he'd throw up.

Quoting Mrs.Sells:

So since he has sensory issues, you stuffed him to make him happy?

Quoting Pooobaihr:

Or you could just be acting like a pain in the butt "sanctimommy" and think that I just feed my kid cereal straight out the womb. XDDD  Who knew that I had to give every detail of everything when I post a response. Oh wait, I forget, this is cafemom where everyone knows everyone and is in everyone's lives in every second of the day and you sit in my window and just know how I parent.

:D Well here is a few facts for you, when my child got the age where it was OKAY to feed them food, (CEREAL).  My doctor informed me that it was OKAY to put a little cereal in his formula to help fill him up BECAUSE my son has always had issues with eating and never seems to get full. Because see my deary, he has SENSORY ISSUES.  He NEVER is full.  It was only until he got to about 4yrs old where he began to fill the food in his stomach.

So yes, Miss Fly-on-my-wall.  While he was an infant, he breast fed up until he was about 6 months, then formula fed and then when he got to the age of FOODS, I put cereal in his bottle.

Is that enough detail information for you?  XDDDDDDDDDD  PS, this worked quite well for my kid and he is 8 years old now going on 9.  No sids for him.

momtoBrenna
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Did you read what I quoted where she said that babies have amylase when the molars are fully in and that you should hold off on grains until the first molars are in usually between 13-19 months? I was bored and pointing out that the range can go much younger for molars being in to the person whom I quoted. Your analogy is ridiculous. Feeding my dd cereal is far from condoning a 10 yr old have sex. It humors me that people on this site come up with such outlandish comparisons. My dd happens to turn 7 yrs old next week, it is moot for her. At that time, it was still "in" to feed cereal so we did. My ds didn't care for it so he didn't get it. My dd has zero tummy issues and my ds has severe tummy issues. 

Quoting Mrs.Sells:

What do molars have to do with a babies stomach? If you have a daughter and she gets her period at 10, I guess that means she should have a baby right away

Quoting momtoBrenna:

Just because I'm bored, I want to throw my two cents in that both of my children had their first molars fully in by 8-9 months old. In fact, my dd had all but her 2 yr molars by 14 months old and my ds had all but his 2 yr molars by 15 months old. That said, my dd got baby oatmeal starting around 6 months but my ds hated it so he didn't get it after the first few tries. 

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

I'll answer for you:-)

Babies can’t digest it.

In order to digest grains, your body needs to make use of an enzyme called amylase. Amylase is the enzyme responsible for splitting starches. And, guess what? Babies don’t make amylase in large enough quantities to digest grains until after they are a year old at the earliest. Sometimes it can take up to two years. You see, newborns don’t produce amylase at all. Salivary amylase makes a small appearance at about 6 months old, but pancreatic amylase (what you need to actually digest grains) is not produced until molar teeth are fully developed! First molars usually don’t show up until 13-19 months old, on average.

Undigested grains wreak havoc on your baby’s intestinal lining. It can throw off the balance of bacteria in their gut and lead to lots of complications as they age including: food allergies, behavioral problems, mood issues, and more.

What does this mean? Don’t feed your baby grains (or even highly starchy foods), until all of their first molars have emerged. This means no rice cereals, no Cheerios, no Goldfish, no oatmeal, no infant crackers. It means that when you sit down with them at a restaurant, you shouldn’t placate them with the free rolls.

Feeding your baby grains displaces other, more important nutrients.

If you feed your baby cereal or other grains, you’re doing more than simply sticking them with an indigestible food. You’re feeding them an indigestible food in place of something more nutrient-dense. You’re feeding them something their body can’t really use and starving them of the nutrients they need to grow a healthy brain, nervous system, and bone structure.

Another issue is feeding iron fortified foods to a breastfeeding baby actually blocks the natural iron in the milk from absorbing. This causes anemia in baby.

And the reason so many choose baby led solids is its easier and healthier. Baby food is mostly water. It also doesn't have as many nutrients as feedings the non pureed version.

WIC gives you checks for foods. You don't have to use all the checks. So nothing is going to waste, someone else buys the food. Many moms don't use the baby food vouchers and use the fruits and veggie vouchers instead. Theres also many who get the baby food and cereal and donate it.

SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:48 PM

No, the red text has nothing to do with your #1, it has to do with your #2.  There is evidence that it extends beyond 6 months b/c research has shown that stores are significantly increased still at 6 months and they don't disappear overnight. 

I quoted you to dispute your claim that cereal is a good source of iron. The OP doesn't ask that question. Did she ask within the thread somewhere else?  Any who there is quite a bit of evidence of the dangers even long term reduced intelligence. There is only a "biological need" for more iron when babies have immediate cord clamping, with the exception of high risk groups I mentioned earlier. I don't care if people want to have their LOs tested but I don't think it's dangerous not t if the child is not at risk.  

Quoting SuDoNim:

1. Yes, I did (see red text)

2. I implied no such thing. Again, I AGREE that there is a benefit of higher iron levels with delayed cord cutting, but the fact is there is no evidence that the benefits extend past 6 months.

To be honest, I'm not sure why you quoted me in the first place. The OP asked why some claim that cereals are useless or downright "dangerous". We're talking about adding cereal at 6 months, what do iron stores before 6 months have to do with the biological need for more iron after 6 months? Not all breastfed babies will be deficient, but it's dangerous and foolish to assume so without actually having those iron levels checked in the first place. 

Quoting SlapItHigh:

No, you didn't say #1.  As for #2, you claim that they last until 6 months which implies at 6 months they are the same.  At 6 months, they are significantly higher and that doesn't imply how much longer they last.  Are you claiming they just magically disappear the day after 6 months?  Why did you quote my post in the first place to comment on my cord clamping statements?  To agree with me?  You clearly were implying that there's not much difference by 6 months which is not accurate.  The research beyond 6 months simply hasn't been done.  However we know that at 6 months it is much higher.  With immediate cord clamping, babies iron stores last until 6 months and then additional iron intake is warranted.  With delayed cord clamping such is not the case as their iron stores are much higher at 6 months. 

We will have to agree to disagree regarding electrolytic iron.  The process is not as simple as you describe as you are completely ignoring the "electro" part of the process.  The process of electrodeposition is not simply grinding down elemental iron into powder.  My first thought was artificial but then I dismissed that since it does come from natural forms, however the process and the end result is not what would be naturally found in food.  Therefore, it fits the definition:

"devised, arranged, or fabricated for special situations to imitate or replace usual realities"

Quoting SuDoNim:

...which is pretty much what I said:

1. Iron stores are sufficient until about 6 months

2. Benefit of higher iron levels after delayed cord cutting until about 6 months

3. Electrocytic iron is not synthetic

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Even with immediate cord clamping across the board, exclusively breastfed baby's iron stores last until 6 months.  The exception to that is babies born to diabetic mothers and low birth weight babies.  Additionally, we know that delayed cord clamping for 3 minutes (I do longer) "significantly increases serum ferritin levels in infants at 6 months of age".

The iron used in baby cereal is electrolytic iron.  I considered a couple different words before settling on synthetic and I think it was apt.  Unfortunately, I've had to study iron fortification extensively as I have Hemochromatosis and my children are risk as well.

Quoting SuDoNim:

I agree delaying cord clamping can be beneficial, but as far as I've read, the higher iron levels after delayed clamping only last until 6 months of age; after that the difference is negligable and benefits are theoretical. Again, not all breastfed babies will be deficient without some form of iron supplementation, but the only way to know is to have their levels checked.

As far as the iron used in baby cereal, it is not synthetic; electrolyic iron is simply elemental iron in powdered form. Cereal is not the only way to supplement iron, but is often the easiest and most realistic 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)