Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Don't tell me how to feed MY baby!!!!!!!

So, I've heard all this bad stuff about baby cereal and oatmeal. I even made a post in group asking a question but no one answered my question because they were so intent upon tell me how bad feeding my baby oatmeal was and that I should do "baby led solids" and completly skip baby food all together. I did research it and decided that "bab led solids" just wasn't for me...especially seeing as how we get FREE baby food through my WIC. Why let all that food go to waste? I understand that people have opinions but someone could have at least answered my question before telling me what to feed MY baby. >.>

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Replies (51-60):
momtoBrenna
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Just because I'm bored, I want to throw my two cents in that both of my children had their first molars fully in by 8-9 months old. In fact, my dd had all but her 2 yr molars by 14 months old and my ds had all but his 2 yr molars by 15 months old. That said, my dd got baby oatmeal starting around 6 months but my ds hated it so he didn't get it after the first few tries. 

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

I'll answer for you:-)

Babies can’t digest it.

In order to digest grains, your body needs to make use of an enzyme called amylase. Amylase is the enzyme responsible for splitting starches. And, guess what? Babies don’t make amylase in large enough quantities to digest grains until after they are a year old at the earliest. Sometimes it can take up to two years. You see, newborns don’t produce amylase at all. Salivary amylase makes a small appearance at about 6 months old, but pancreatic amylase (what you need to actually digest grains) is not produced until molar teeth are fully developed! First molars usually don’t show up until 13-19 months old, on average.

Undigested grains wreak havoc on your baby’s intestinal lining. It can throw off the balance of bacteria in their gut and lead to lots of complications as they age including: food allergies, behavioral problems, mood issues, and more.

What does this mean? Don’t feed your baby grains (or even highly starchy foods), until all of their first molars have emerged. This means no rice cereals, no Cheerios, no Goldfish, no oatmeal, no infant crackers. It means that when you sit down with them at a restaurant, you shouldn’t placate them with the free rolls.

Feeding your baby grains displaces other, more important nutrients.

If you feed your baby cereal or other grains, you’re doing more than simply sticking them with an indigestible food. You’re feeding them an indigestible food in place of something more nutrient-dense. You’re feeding them something their body can’t really use and starving them of the nutrients they need to grow a healthy brain, nervous system, and bone structure.

Another issue is feeding iron fortified foods to a breastfeeding baby actually blocks the natural iron in the milk from absorbing. This causes anemia in baby.

And the reason so many choose baby led solids is its easier and healthier. Baby food is mostly water. It also doesn't have as many nutrients as feedings the non pureed version.

WIC gives you checks for foods. You don't have to use all the checks. So nothing is going to waste, someone else buys the food. Many moms don't use the baby food vouchers and use the fruits and veggie vouchers instead. Theres also many who get the baby food and cereal and donate it.

mama2gg
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

that's SCARY you trust someone else so much with YOUR child, do your OWN research don't follow blindly that's HORRID for your child PERIOD not from my mouth from the GOVERNMENTS

Quoting Pooobaihr:

I don't get it either. I go with what my doc says and he's a great doc.  He's even told me to put a little rice in the formula sometimes. Not enough to make it thick and clumpy, but just enough to where it still comes through the nipple.

Randi02
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Some people don't know that baby cereal is useless, or that their baby doesn't need to eat that jarred crap. That is probably why some of the other ladies shared that with you.

Pooobaihr
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Um.... yeah, no.

-.- I don't follow blindly, but you're free to think as you wish. :D

Quoting mama2gg:

that's SCARY you trust someone else so much with YOUR child, do your OWN research don't follow blindly that's HORRID for your child PERIOD not from my mouth from the GOVERNMENTS

Quoting Pooobaihr:

I don't get it either. I go with what my doc says and he's a great doc.  He's even told me to put a little rice in the formula sometimes. Not enough to make it thick and clumpy, but just enough to where it still comes through the nipple.

mama2gg
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM
2 moms liked this
Ha you just said in this quote you do what your doctor said just because they are a good "doctor" no reference what so ever to the fact that babies can't digest food till they can sit up alone ever so yeahh you are ffollowing blindly because you know nothing based on facts...

Rice in a bottle = sids, choking hazard, no nutrition

Food NO FOOD should ever be put into a bottle ever ever ever research it your self American Academy of Pediatrics stats- a baby should be able to sit unassisted and use a pincher grasp before introducing cereals or baby foods of any kind

Quoting Pooobaihr:

Um.... yeah, no.

Quoting mama2gg:

Quoting Pooobaihr:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Cereal is bad. It's nutritionally void. You're basically filling your childs gut with junk just because.

I agree with baby led solids as well. Using WIC as an excuse isn't good because WIC gives you more baby food then you could EVER possibly use for one child. We just donated ours when we had WIC because the kids didn't use that much.

If you did the research as you claim and still don't want to believe how our bodies work and what they need then that is on you. I could care less about your kid. Its their body and their health that you're choosing to risk. Don't try to justify it to us. Feed your kid whatever you want. I did my research, I don't have to worry about what other people think if my 7 month old never had anything but breastmilk before. It's my kid and my choice.

KylersMom8-16-7
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM
" First molars usually don’t show up until 13-19 months old, on average."

It's different for some obviously:-) What's not different is the inability to digest grains until AFTER 12 months or later.

"Babies don’t make amylase in large enough quantities to digest grains until after they are a year old at the earliest. Sometimes it can take up to two years."

" pancreatic amylase (what you need to actually digest grains) is not produced until molar teeth are fully developed!"

Meaning 2 year molars too, which usually show up between 20 and 33 months.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

Just because I'm bored, I want to throw my two cents in that both of my children had their first molars fully in by 8-9 months old. In fact, my dd had all but her 2 yr molars by 14 months old and my ds had all but his 2 yr molars by 15 months old. That said, my dd got baby oatmeal starting around 6 months but my ds hated it so he didn't get it after the first few tries. 

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Babies can’t digest it.

In order to digest grains, your body needs to make use of an enzyme called amylase. Amylase is the enzyme responsible for splitting starches. And, guess what? Babies don’t make amylase in large enough quantities to digest grains until after they are a year old at the earliest. Sometimes it can take up to two years. You see, newborns don’t produce amylase at all. Salivary amylase makes a small appearance at about 6 months old, but pancreatic amylase (what you need to actually digest grains) is not produced until molar teeth are fully developed! First molars usually don’t show up until 13-19 months old, on average.

Undigested grains wreak havoc on your baby’s intestinal lining. It can throw off the balance of bacteria in their gut and lead to lots of complications as they age including: food allergies, behavioral problems, mood issues, and more.

What does this mean? Don’t feed your baby grains (or even highly starchy foods), until all of their first molars have emerged. This means no rice cereals, no Cheerios, no Goldfish, no oatmeal, no infant crackers. It means that when you sit down with them at a restaurant, you shouldn’t placate them with the free rolls.

If you feed your baby cereal or other grains, you’re doing more than simply sticking them with an indigestible food. You’re feeding them an indigestible food in place of something more nutrient-dense. You’re feeding them something their body can’t really use and starving them of the nutrients they need to grow a healthy brain, nervous system, and bone structure.

Another issue is feeding iron fortified foods to a breastfeeding baby actually blocks the natural iron in the milk from absorbing. This causes anemia in baby.

And the reason so many choose baby led solids is its easier and healthier. Baby food is mostly water. It also doesn't have as many nutrients as feedings the non pureed version.

WIC gives you checks for foods. You don't have to use all the checks. So nothing is going to waste, someone else buys the food. Many moms don't use the baby food vouchers and use the fruits and veggie vouchers instead. Theres also many who get the baby food and cereal and donate it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM
3 moms liked this

Uhhh duh! Don't you know that ALL doctors are awesome and smart and they know EVERYTHING about every baby and you should ALWAYS follow whatever they say. ALWAYS.

Quoting mama2gg:

Ha you just said in this quote you do what your doctor said just because they are a good "doctor" no reference what so ever to the fact that babies can't digest food till they can sit up alone ever so yeahh you are ffollowing blindly because you know nothing based on facts...

Rice in a bottle = sids, choking hazard, no nutrition

Food NO FOOD should ever be put into a bottle ever ever ever research it your self American Academy of Pediatrics stats- a baby should be able to sit unassisted and use a pincher grasp before introducing cereals or baby foods of any kind

Quoting Pooobaihr:

Um.... yeah, no.

Quoting mama2gg:

Quoting Pooobaihr:

yperez0209
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM

What was your original question? And what is baby led solids? I personally don't feed my kids jarred food because i rather give them something fresh than something that was jarred months or yrs before they are consuming it. But that makes sense to me your situation or thoughts might be different.

I also had a bad expereince with the third stage foods. So i do homemade.

About cereal, I've given my kids cereal mixed with breast milk and fruit when they are about 6-9 months and never had an issue. I don't mix it with milk and feed it in a bottle. Once they are able to chew better I drop the cereal and move on.

momtoBrenna
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Well, again. I said I was bored, lol. Dd is just fine and ds is the one with the stomach issues which I forgot to add to the first reply. Ds had maybe a few tablespoons of cereal and he has severe reflux issues to the point that it causes croup from the acid and he is 4.5 now.  Dd had much more than that and she has no stomach issues. Also, you wrote in your reply not to give cereals until the first molars are fully in. They get multiple sets of them so I went by first meaning the first 4 not all the way up to the 3rd set at 2. 

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

" First molars usually don’t show up until 13-19 months old, on average."

It's different for some obviously:-) What's not different is the inability to digest grains until AFTER 12 months or later.

"Babies don’t make amylase in large enough quantities to digest grains until after they are a year old at the earliest. Sometimes it can take up to two years."

" pancreatic amylase (what you need to actually digest grains) is not produced until molar teeth are fully developed!"

Meaning 2 year molars too, which usually show up between 20 and 33 months.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Babies can’t digest it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)