Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Lance Armstrong Confesses!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:48 AM
  • 34 Replies

Welcome to the Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

Lance Armstrong, confessed to Oprah Winfrey on Monday that he used performance enhancing drugs to win the Tour de France. He had already been stripped of his titles and had stepped down from the board of his Livestrong foundation back in November.

1. Will you watch the interview when it is televised?

2. The Livestrong Foundation has helped many people over the years, do you think this 'scandal' will negatively effect the foundation and it's donations?

3. Do you think using performance enhancing drugs is truly cheating or just giving the athlete an edge?

While you answer our questions, let us know what you would

like us to serve you!

Be sure to check out these other posts while you wait.

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
monica4_85
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Of course I will. He denied it so ferverently. Oprah can get anyone to open up. She's amazing!!!

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I agree. I think she is part, preacher, part counselor, part confessor...lol

EVERYONE opens up to Oprah!

Quoting monica4_85:

Of course I will. He denied it so ferverently. Oprah can get anyone to open up. She's amazing!!!

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I agree.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

I agree. I think she is part, preacher, part counselor, part confessor...lol

EVERYONE opens up to Oprah!

Quoting monica4_85:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
monica4_85
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:00 AM

If he is being seen negatively in the public eye right now I don't believe it will last for long nor affect the foundation. I do believe he was cheating but many, many athletes professional and otherwise have used the stuff. Mark Maguire from the St. Louis Cardinals comes to mind. But Lance has done too much good to let this get him down and I wish him the best.

goodmama85
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM

i'm still debating.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I would really hate for his foundation to suffer because it really does help so many people.

Quoting monica4_85:

If he is being seen negatively in the public eye right now I don't believe it will last for long nor affect the foundation. I do believe he was cheating but many, many athletes professional and otherwise have used the stuff. Mark Maguire from the St. Louis Cardinals comes to mind. But Lance has done too much good to let this get him down and I wish him the best.

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I won't watch the interview, but I did see highlights of it.

I think in the short-term, the Livestrong Foundation will suffer a little bit.  He was the face of the foundation and they had asked him to step down immediately BECAUSE they need to try to do damage control.  People associate him with the foundation and so his scandal will most assuredly affect them in some way.  I just hope that the effects are minimal.  As time goes on though and the foundation dissociates themselves from him, they'll bounce back.

I DO think using performance enhancing drugs is cheating.  Athletes are athletes and reach professional status because of their natural ability and by taking performance enhancing drugs, they skew the field and it's really not fair to other athletes. 

Personally, after all of this, I hold very little regard from Lance Armstrong.  He vehemently lied about it all and strong-armed and threatened employees and associates so that they would not talk or testify against him.  Some of those people have been discredited and will never work in their fields again and their lives were destroyed because of Lance Armstrong.  He thought he was above it all and is now trying to get back in good graces so that he can compete again.  I don't buy any of it.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Can I get a iced mocha please! And honestly, I am not into this story at all. It is what it is. I think his foundation has always been a good thing and he is not the first or last to drug up!
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Iced mocha coming right up!

Quoting Pammi86:

Can I get a iced mocha please! And honestly, I am not into this story at all. It is what it is. I think his foundation has always been a good thing and he is not the first or last to drug up!

specialwingz
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM
2 moms liked this

No, I won't watch it.  Can't stand Oprah.  And, I live south of Austin.  So tired of hearing it all day on tv, radio, internet.  We are flooded with it here in TX.  I knew he was lying from the beginning.  Then, when he stepped down, it just confirmed what I already knew.  I don't need to see Oprah take the credit for getting him to "spill the beans" that were really spilled long ago.  Although "doping" is truly bad enough, it's more about the decade of lies, IMO.  The man just flat out lied to everyone for over a decade.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)