Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 7 week old son has cradle cap that just came about within the last week and a half. It looks scaly and just nasty. I'm sure that it bothers me more than it does him but I want it gone! What can I do?

**Thanks ladies! I used the baby oil and brush and it's now completely gone :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Replies (11-20):
Herzchen
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok, here is what I did, but my baby was older: 

1. Try baby oil and brush, it will come off eventually. It does not harm the baby, so there is no rush to get rid of it, just keep brushing it out.

2. If that does not work, and cradle cap stays, check with your pediatrician whether or not you can use Neutrogena T-sal shampoo. If the doctor allows, make sure it does not get into baby's eyes, but that shampoo really helps. Only issue: your baby could be too little for it.

SuDoNim
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

The only thing that worked with my oldest was Head & Shoulders shampoo. 

allenrannigerr
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

With my daughter, I used a wet wash cloth with some baby oil on it. I wiped her head, in the direction of her hair, after every bath and several more times throughout the day. It's not an immediate fix, but it will work. It helps to add some moisture back into the scalp. Hope that helps!

KRIZZ25
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
baby oil 2 or 3 times a day ..helps.
LukasMom1210
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

My son also had cradle cap really bad. I used doTERRA essential oils on it and with in 2 or 3 days it was completely healed and gone. Check them out at www.doterra.com  Here are the directions on how to use the oils. Be very careful on the brand of oils you purchase! They only have to have 2% of the labeled oil in them to label them pure. doTERRA really is the safest I found! I used them on my son as a newborn! Good Luck!

Cradle Cap

·    Mix one drop of lavender (or melaleuca or geranium) with a small amount of carrier oil (coconut or olive oil). 
·    Precautions for babies: Test the skin first because children can be sensitive.  Do not use so much that it will run into their eyes. 
·   Let the oils absorb into the skin before washing their head. 
·   Usually 3 to 4 applications will clear the cradle cap.
splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I did the baby oil & soft brush as well. Though my youngest didn't have it too bad. So for the most part I just let it be.

MusherMaggie
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Coconut oil and a warm washcloth; a little breastmilk if you're nursing.
nightowl.poet
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:58 PM

My daughter has that, after I wash her hair I just put baby oil in her hair.  Not a lot to make it greasey but enough to moist it.

MamaMoopsie
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I highly recommend putting baby oil on his scalp for about an hour before bath time then used a soft bristle brush (or if you got one of those bristle things at the hospital that is a sponge on one side and bristles on the other that works great too!) when you're bathing him gently tilt him back and use the soft bristles to gently scrub his scalp, the combination of the baby oil and the soft bristles break up the cradle cap and it'll wash right out. If it's really bad it might take two baths, but generally one will do it. My first had cradle cap early on after birth and this did the trick. My 4th daughter didn't get cradle cap until she was like six months old and it was really hard to beat, turns out she has a skin condition and her skin dries out extremely easy. So now I have to do the baby oil treatment at least once a week.

Oh, and if you don't want his hair to look oil after doing the baby oil use a drop of regular dish soap to wash his hair first, then do the normal baby shampoo after. Good luck!

WithHope
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:36 AM
Johnson and Johnson has a baby oil gel. I rubbed that on my daughter's head and behind her ears where it was worst with a baby tooth brush.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)