Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Please help.. I don't know what to do anymore. *Edit*

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 37 Replies

I thought that since my son had a good day and got through his homework quickly I would surprise him with some time playing the Angry Birds game. After an hour of playing I thought it was time to change up and have him play with his toys. He decided that he was going to fight me because he wanted to play more Angry Birds. So I started by warning me that he would get a time out. Then he kept going. He started screaming at me so I told him that after his timeout he would lose the remaining TV time he had left (20 minutes out of 90). He started telling me how I was a bad mom and he hated me; and then decided he was going to throw things and so I told him he was going to lose his toys for the night. He started saying things like he hated me and wanted to move away... I am trying to be firm but when he said that I cried. How do I stay the firm disciplinarian without the hurt?

*Edit* We decided to reduce his game time. He now turns his own timer on for 35 minutes and when it is up, he gets off his game without fighting. He does ask for more time, but when I say no, he does not throw fits. He has even stopped hitting again, and I have only had to put him in time out once since for not following another rule of the house. Thank you everyone for your advice! :) 

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mybabybugssmile
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

How old is he?

marihla
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM

You can cry but don't lift the discipline you've placed. Then he'll be even meaner!

SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Realize that discipline doesn't mean punishment.  You are never going to get the outcome you desire this way.  All this does is drive a wedge between the 2 of you and hurt his heart.  Learn about how a brain of someone his age truly works.  You can't punish him into being someone he has no capability of being.  Learn who he truly is and then lead him and shape him with love and compassion, not punishment.

MammaKoi
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:39 PM

That's ruff I remember when my son was 5 told me he hated me and wanted to live with my aunt. Its okay to cry, I  did too. I explained to him that his aunt and I are very different and she could afford more things than what I could because she does not have any kids and her and her husband work good jobs. I'm still in school and work part time so I can take care of not only him but his brother so the extra stuff I can't always afford. 

Just keep being strict even with the hurtful sayings they will stop eventually. Just try to not let it get to you and don't show him that it hurts. 

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM
4 moms liked this

im sorry, but after all that, my hand woulda got to that little butt for a woopin. My 4 yr old knows better. She gets a warning, time out and then a swat on the butt if all fails and then thats the end of it. Its rare when she goes too far

ambercococleo
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like he's playing a highly visual semi-violent video game. Not that there's anything wrong with that but an hour for a small child is too much. He fought for more time physically because he doesn't know it's wrong to actually hit a person. You have to let him know at least once not to hit or he will be hit back-a whack on the bottom. Then you do it. You don't need to be letting him play those type of games right now. His mind can't handle all the activity during the game and letting go of the game mentally. He needs some personal time between yall playing what he likes at times. You can have him chose some and you do the rest of them so you don't give him free reign. Play at the park some or play in his room with cars or soldiers. Boys are much more on hands and need to be guided or they are like animals. You can't wait on doing stuff together. You'll lose him.

Phipps24
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:09 PM

keep up it discipline and remember he's a baby and they'll say things they don't mean to get the worst of you and get their way plus angry birds is an addicting game I know I'm addicted I'm angry bird crazy I have every thing in angry birds even car magnets lol but also remember those kind of games build skills that kids need and if u can try finding some learning games with his favorite characters like spongebobs counting or even get him some coloring books and next time he says some thing mean just hug him and give him a kiss and tell him he don't mean that and stick with your punishment he's just a kid and don't fully understand feelings yet

artistmom27
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM

He is 5.

Quoting mybabybugssmile:

How old is he?

mybabybugssmile
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM

LMFAO 

No more Angry Birds!

Quoting ambercococleo:

Sounds like he's playing a highly visual semi-violent video game. Not that there's anything wrong with that but an hour for a small child is too much. He fought for more time physically because he doesn't know it's wrong to actually hit a person. You have to let him know at least once not to hit or he will be hit back-a whack on the bottom. Then you do it. You don't need to be letting him play those type of games right now. His mind can't handle all the activity during the game and letting go of the game mentally. He needs some personal time between yall playing what he likes at times. You can have him chose some and you do the rest of them so you don't give him free reign. Play at the park some or play in his room with cars or soldiers. Boys are much more on hands and need to be guided or they are like animals. You can't wait on doing stuff together. You'll lose him.

artistmom27
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM

He has tons of games that are learning games and he does love them, but Angry Birds is a game one of the people that we work with on his developmental delays introduced to him. We noticed that he is able to focus on video games better than any of the other techniques we have tried. We have come really far and we talked about how it is time to really start working on disciplining him (I used to cuddle out the tantrums and not really address them). I know I am walking an uphill battle and this technique is what all agree is best, it just hurts.

Quoting Phipps24:

keep up it discipline and remember he's a baby and they'll say things they don't mean to get the worst of you and get their way plus angry birds is an addicting game I know I'm addicted I'm angry bird crazy I have every thing in angry birds even car magnets lol but also remember those kind of games build skills that kids need and if u can try finding some learning games with his favorite characters like spongebobs counting or even get him some coloring books and next time he says some thing mean just hug him and give him a kiss and tell him he don't mean that and stick with your punishment he's just a kid and don't fully understand feelings yet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN