Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Bulimic Baby!?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM
  • 9 Replies

Sorry for the dramatic subject line but I need some tips!

My 7 months old continues to stick her fingers to the back of her throat and then...yes, pukes everywhere. 

I mentioned it to the Pedi MD and she said, "Oh, she's dicovering her mouth, just re-direct her."  That is not working!  I could keep my eyes on her every second, but unless I am holding her hands she is too quick.  She doesn't do this all the time but she does it enough that I am starting to wonder if something else is going on.  Is her throat sore (everyday for the past month, with NO temp), is her mouth itching???  She isn't teething yet. 

Any suggestions or ideas on a cause?

Thanks

(posted in two spots for fast replies...I hope)

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I agree that she is probably just discovering. Hopefully its a phase she outgrows quickly.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Idk either. Hopefully this phase passes quickly.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I have not idea.
Hope she stops doing it too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mich.el.le
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:36 PM
2 moms liked this

She's discovered that if she shoves her fingers back there, something weird happens and even better-mommy freaks out!!! It's normal. Annoying but normal. Distract, redirect, and just say yuckies! and remove her fingers if you catch her in time. She'll grow out of it.

Proudmommy0610
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:53 AM
My son went through a similar phase three years ago and occasionally does it sometimes now but now he chews the skin off hid fingers. Not to throw up but because he wants to stimulate himself by having something in his mouth. Let me be a bit more specific he was diagnosed with sensory processing disorder at around 16mths. SPD basically means children with this disorder need constant stimulus and they resort to any measure to get it. He begun occupational therapy and the therapist told us yes it is discovery but its also his way of giving himself input in his mouth on constant basis. Her recommendation was put something sour on his fingers to stop him from making himself gag and she gave us what are called chews. Their basically gummy rubber chews that are for older kids and they provide different textures for children to chew on. They are made for all ages look it up on google type in sensory chews or special needs toys. It worked for us hope this helps good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
zacmacsmomm
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:56 AM

both my kids did that as well.   They both outgrew it.  Best of luck

1stTimeMommyKY
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Thanks ladies, I appreciate the suggestions AND support! :-)

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Thrush or teething?
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM

She will outgrow it. It must be hard for you though. (((hugs)))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)