Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What Would You Miss if You Were Temporarily Separated From Your Kids?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM
  • 21 Replies

Mom Confession: I Left My Kids for 2 Months

Posted by Jenny Erikson

I mean really ... how could I not miss them?
Last fall, I was offered a fantastic opportunity for a job. I was all set to take it, until I found out that they didn’t want me to work remotely for the two-month stint -- they wanted me on site in Boston.

I tossed the idea out the window, because Boston is 3,000ish miles away from my San Diego home, and that’s one heck of a commute. Then the planets aligned, my husband told me he could hold down the fort, and my mom said she’d take care of the kids after school. Three days later, I was kissing my babies goodbye and flying across the country.

I knew I’d miss my kids like crazy, but there were some things that I did not expect to miss about them. I mean, no one likes wiping noses, right? Then I’d find myself turning a corner or waking up in the middle of the night, and I’d be hit with a whole lot of I miss them so much right now!

These are the things that I did not expect to miss about my daughters but did anyway.

Middle of the Night Snuggles -- I don’t know exactly when it started or how it happened, but for the past year or two, our four-year-old daughter will more often than not wake up in the wee hours and tear down the hallway and leap into bed with us until morning. We’ve never been a co-sleeping family, and honestly, I kind of like my space when I sleep, so I was surprised to wake up lonely in Boston without her snuggly little body next to mine.

Cartoons -- I have no idea what’s going on with Phineas and Ferb, and that’s tragic. I guess I just don’t think to turn on something animated without the wee ones begging me to.

The Park -- Confession: Normally I hate the park. It’s germy, they want you to play with them, and if you don’t play with them you’re forced to make small talk with the other parents who you’re inevitably going to end up not liking anyway, and the whole thing only ends when someone falls and hurts themselves. Total nightmare. But I found myself walking past the neighborhood parks a little slower in Boston … Not a lot of things beat the joy of a kid on a swing.

Homework -- Haha. Just kidding. I didn’t miss that at all.

You know what I did miss though? The wonder and excitement evident in my children when they learn something new or understand the world around them a little bit better. And the satisfaction of victory that trumps the frustration of teaching that comes along when something finally clicks into place for them.

I knew I’d miss the hugs and kisses, and the love that my children show me every day -- what I didn’t expect was to miss just being a mom.

Overall, it was a great opportunity and I’m glad I did it. I’m incredibly grateful to my amazing family and friends that made it possible for me to go. I love you guys so much -- and now I love my girls more than ever.

What ordinary things do you think you’d miss most if you were temporarily separated from your kids?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I would miss the kisses, doing her hair every morning, and the way she dances off when she's done talking to me.

Susy17A
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Everytime my son does something bad he tells me he loves me lol
And i would miss him telling me that im only his, he's a mama's boy. I would also miss my daughter yelling MA!!!! MA!!! Everytime i walk out of the room. I cant live without them
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:12 PM
I would miss her silly crazy talk and of course her telling me she has no kisses (she does have kisses for me)
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:12 PM
I would miss her silly crazy talk and of course her telling me she has no kisses (she does have kisses for me)
MamaMoopsie
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I had to leave my girls for three weeks while I moved my family 8 hours away and started a new job. It was torture. My girls were 15 months and 3 months old. It killed me every day.

I seriously missed changing diapers!

I missed hearing my older daughter singing everything...she still does this and she's going to be 4 in April. She sing-songs all the time when she speaks.

I missed our bedtime routine of teeth, story, bed and repeated hugs and kisses. Every night as I got ready for bed I'd get all teary eyed and sad and call my parents (who were watching my kids) and ask how they did for bed. My parents put up with 6 or 7 calls a day I made to "check up" on my girls.

If I had to be away from my girls now? I'd miss their enthusiasm for life. My 2 and 3 year old are always figuring something new out. My 9 year old SD always has something awesome and new to tell me. My baby just turned 1 and she's a mechanical genius, give her something to figure out, blocks, or crayons in a zipper pouch and she will work and work until she has figured out every aspect of how to blocks together, take them apart and stack them differently or how to zip/unzip the pouch, remove the crayons, examine the crayons, then put them back in the pouch and zip it back up. I would miss her discoveries.

The night time snuggles, too! And the middle of the night conversations? Every once in a while my 2 or 3 year old will wake up in the middle of the night and just need to tell me something. So I get up and we sit on the couch as they tell me the most wonderful stories, I'm guessing they dream these stories then tell me when they wake up from their dream. Those are some of the best moments of my life, even if I am exhausted the next morning.

adamssweetie
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Oh my goodness...I'd miss them so much! I'd miss playing with them, them napping and cuddling on me, giving them baths, loving on them....the list goes on and on...

WesternNYmom
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I would miss tucking my kids in at night,  seeing them off to school. I would also miss hearing them laugh and seeing their smiling faces everyday. I can't imagine being seperated from my kids for long periods of time. I miss them when they are spending the night at their grandparents house.  I don't know how anyone could just abandon their children for months or years at a time.

candicemoss
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:36 PM

i would miss my three year old telling me im a princess and that he was special and so  i.   how my son jaycob is so d bust out in dance out of  no where. i do atleast a week every year away from kids. by the end of the week you forget the whinning and tempers you just want your sweet angels back

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I would not be able to seperate from my children. I would miss everything! Just a smile melts my heart!

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I would miss them hugging me and telling me they love me. I would miss just looking at their sweet faces!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN