Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Am I just that out of touch with math?

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay, my daughter is 9 now and since she started school they've taught her to do math by estimation, and as a result I feel she's struggling because of that. Now they want her to get exact answers but for years have told her to estimate the answer and while I've worked with her at home to get exact answers she'd get upset with me and has struggled to learn her math facts, she finally has addition down but is now struggling with multiplications and division because it requires EXACT answers not estimations.

Well, she had homework tonight that says "Estimate then multiply to get the answer" one of the numbers was 4,456--now, the way I was taught to estimate is you start in the ones column and work your way up. She says "No, mom, you start with the first two numbers." Am I wrong? Have things changed that much?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Replies (21-22):
PEEK05
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I have no idea. My kids aren't in school yet so I can't compare.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM

It's a different math world these days for sure....

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

Right? Or when you are adding and need to carry the number to the next row? My daughter calls that regrouping too! 

Quoting delanna6two:

Things are different sometimes the way the teach math....like with subtraction and borrowing...in my kids class they use a different method and term for it...regrouping

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)