Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Problem with Eating Times....

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:24 AM
  • 13 Replies

Does anyone else have a problem trying to find things your kid will eat? Or trying to get them on a set time for snacks and regular meals?

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaMoopsie
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:50 AM

I'm a pretty loose parent as far as snack times go. I don't generally let them have a snack within an hour of dinner because I do want them to eat dinner. Dinner for us can be anywhere from 5:30 to 6:30. For me the biggest key is as long as the snacks they're eating are healthy, then I am happy. My daughters wake up around 6AM and will get breakfast by 7 or 7:30, then they'll generally have a snack by 9, a second one by 11--by snacks I mean things like apples, cheese and crackers, peanut butter toast, raisins. Then they get lunch between 12 and 12:30, a snack again around 1 or 2, perhaps another light snack around 4, then dinner between 5:30 and 6:30 and then a snack before bedtime, so around 7:30 or so.

I will generally be a little flexible about snacks--I ask them what they want, sometimes they go for healthy, sometimes they go for not healthy, but if they've had one less healthy snack, like gummy bears that day I just say "You've already had something with lots of sugar why don't we do something else like some grapes?" and that is usually okay. I give them alternatives. When it comes to dinner, they don't get a choice. They either eat what I made for dinner or they don't eat, and they don't get anything else but water until bedtime. They get to tell me what they'd like for lunch and breakfast, and if we don't have what they want then I give them a list of alternatives and they choose from that.

KsenijaR
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:57 AM

Oh yes, I have! My daughter eats very poor and only tiny portions. In time I've worked out several tricks:

1. If I want her to eat something she doesn't like, then I try to make this meal look attractive (make a butterfly out ofmashed potatoes and chicken fillet, decorating it with veggies etc.)

2. I try to take a walk with her or to play some active games before lunch or dinner. In this case her appetite is much better.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM

My kids were mostly grazers as far as snacks went.  My son didn't have too many issues with dinner, he ate most everything untill he turned 3, then got picky.  My daughter just grazed her way untill she was about 3, at that age I knew what she liked and what she didn't.  If she decided to not eat the dinner I made, then she went to bed hungry.  Or if she played around at the table instead of eating, she got sent from the table and didnt get any bedtime snacks.  I'm not a short order cook, I make one meal and we all eat the same thing. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I did in the beginning but now, years later, our schedule is set and my dd is very open to trying new foods. Take your kids grocery shopping with you and have them pick out things they want to try. When my dd was home all day we would have breakfast whenever we were both awake, a small snack 2 hours later. Then lunch a couple hours later. We pretty much had either a small meal or snack every 2-3 hours.

karima1980
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:52 AM
My one year old refuses to eat solid food in any shape she likes her formula tried everything nothing is working:(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Nope my dd is not picky and prefers eating healthy! Lucky mama here lol!

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Mine are picky.

chattycassie
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM

All my kids are in school. The get a snack after scholl then wait for diner. Then a small snack before bed.

ImNotKarl
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:40 PM

We eat when we're hungry around here. My son is a good eater. I let him snack through the day, but he eats breakfast before he's allowed to snack, and lunch is usually right before nap, and he knows if he doesn't eat lunch he won't get an after nap snack until he finishes his lunch food. We all eat dinner together, so we have a late dinner since my husband doesn't get home until about 8. If he doesn't eat dinner he doesn't get dessert. I don't care if he eats what we eat for meals as long as he's picking healthy, balanced food.

For example, on days we sleep in, we might not eat breakfast until 10:30, assuming we wake up at 9:30. I usually want fruit or yogurt and granola, and he usually wants breakfast burritos or cereal and toast, so I make it for him. Then he's free to snack until lunch, which might be at 1:30 or 2. He usually wants a PBJ and carrot sticks, and I can't eat peanut butter, so I'll make salad or a baked potato for myself. Then he naps until 4ish. If he didn't finish his lunch he finishes it when he wakes up and then he can snack until around 6:30. He helps me cook dinner, and if he doesn't like it I might make him something else like a sandwich with meat, cheese, and LOTS of avocado because he doesn't like meat unless there are tons of veggies with it, but normally he likes what I make for dinner. If he eats his dinner, he gets dessert with us. Frozen yogurt, ice cream, a couple chocolates, spicy caramel corn... If he's hungry right before bed time, which is 10:30 or 11ish, he gets sourdough toast and milk.

He's a picky eater in a weird way. He doesn't like meat very much, but if I make it with lots of veggies or cheese he will eat it. He likes weird foods for a 2-year-old. He likes bleu cheese and other "adult" cheeses, bell peppers, salsa, almost all veggies, onions, garlic, herbs, and a handful of fruits.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM
My 10 yr old eats what we cook.our 1 yr old son is not picky either
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)