Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Using Vicks... Help

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM
  • 47 Replies

My 10 yr old dd has a bad cold and I'm thinking about putting Vicks on the bottom of her feet but I'm not sure what this is supposed to do. Does it help with a runny nose, cough, ...???  I've read about it several times but it's just that parents do it, not why they do it.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:26 PM

i never tried it on the feet.But i have heard of mom that do it and it works. Dont know. Its to help soothe a cough which seems like its best to put on the chest so that it and be inhaled

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah I'm thinking if she keeps waking up I'll go in there and put some on her chest. ty

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

i never tried it on the feet.But i have heard of mom that do it and it works. Dont know. Its to help soothe a cough which seems like its best to put on the chest so that it and be inhaled

my4loves4
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

when my son had the flu, i just rubbed it on his chest and it worked wonders, never tried the feet though...

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I've been doing that with DD since she was an infant.  I put tons of Vicks on the bottoms of her feet and cover with socks.  I found that it helped with congestion and fevers so when she even shows a hint of something, I put her to bed like that still.  I also rub it on her chest and her back for good measure to help clear her up and put a humidifier in her room and keep her slightly elevated to help with the breathing.

Mommy4000
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM

My mil told me to do this because she said putting it on the chest would cause pneumonia. I've never found a doctor that could confirm that theory for me and putting it on the feet doesn't make sense. It just takes that much longer for the vapors to reach the nasal passage when you put it at the lowest part of the body.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM
It is supposed to help with congestion. Make sure you put socks on her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaMoopsie
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Vicks has menthol in it and helps to open up the airways so they can get more oxygen and also helps loosen up the mucus in their chests.

I put it on my older children's chests, but my oldest who is almost ten says it stings her eyes, so I put it on her back and that seems to do the trick. Even with my youngest who just turned one I will put some vicks on a tissue and put it near her while she's sleeping. It really does help to ease their congestion.

Another trick we've used and that I learned from my mom is to boil sliced onions until they're mush then wrap them over and over in papertowel and lay it on their chest or stomach then bundle them up in blankets (they'll hate it, but I swear it works to help them de-congest!) it stinks, and they get really warm, but they'll start improving within 24 hours.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM

thank you!

Quoting my4loves4:

when my son had the flu, i just rubbed it on his chest and it worked wonders, never tried the feet though...

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Thank you. We have a humidifier going and she has an extra pillow for propping but she doesn't like it.

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

I've been doing that with DD since she was an infant.  I put tons of Vicks on the bottoms of her feet and cover with socks.  I found that it helped with congestion and fevers so when she even shows a hint of something, I put her to bed like that still.  I also rub it on her chest and her back for good measure to help clear her up and put a humidifier in her room and keep her slightly elevated to help with the breathing.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM

yeah that's why I was questioning the feet thing, and I think the pneumonia thing is an old wives tales, I've heard it too. thank you.

Quoting Mommy4000:

My mil told me to do this because she said putting it on the chest would cause pneumonia. I've never found a doctor that could confirm that theory for me and putting it on the feet doesn't make sense. It just takes that much longer for the vapors to reach the nasal passage when you put it at the lowest part of the body.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)