Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Using Vicks... Help

Posted by   + Show Post

My 10 yr old dd has a bad cold and I'm thinking about putting Vicks on the bottom of her feet but I'm not sure what this is supposed to do. Does it help with a runny nose, cough, ...???  I've read about it several times but it's just that parents do it, not why they do it.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I use Vicks....my youngest loves it when she has colds....I put it on the chest, back, or neck....I've never tried/heard about the feet.

Missy5326
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes it helps you need to put socks on her feet. Do that when she goes to bed she will wake up feeling much better.
SP_Mama
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Okay, that was supposed to say Vicks.  I guess my Kindle Fire didn't like that word.  *L*

Quoting goddess99:

Thank you.

Quoting SP_Mama:

When DS has a cough we put Vicksburg on his chest and his feet and it seems to help. I was skeptical to try it because I can't fathom why it would work. It works for DS though so we keep doing it.

JTE11
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I have never been able to get a satisfactory answer on how this actually is supposed to physically work so I just buy baby Vicks and put it on her chest before bed. It's not as strong as the regular stuff and it seems to help her breathe. I have read that if someone has a bad cough and you put Vicks generously on the feet and put socks over it, it will stop the coughing. I'm not sure how it works but I haven't heard anything about it doing anything for nasal congestion or runny nose.

OliviasMommy611
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Why the feet ? I thought it was the chest?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM

The baby vicks is a good idea. Thank you.

Quoting JTE11:

I have never been able to get a satisfactory answer on how this actually is supposed to physically work so I just buy baby Vicks and put it on her chest before bed. It's not as strong as the regular stuff and it seems to help her breathe. I have read that if someone has a bad cough and you put Vicks generously on the feet and put socks over it, it will stop the coughing. I'm not sure how it works but I haven't heard anything about it doing anything for nasal congestion or runny nose.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM

It is. I was wondering why so many parents put it on the feet.

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Why the feet ? I thought it was the chest?

Spoiled_Blonde
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM

It will keep her from coughing. It works amazing! It's the only thing I use on my kids when they have a cough, then I don't have to give them that gross cough syrup! =)

JTE11
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

You're welcome :) The feet thing always seemed a bit too hocusy-pocusy for me!

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Good point. Thank you.

Quoting Spoiled_Blonde:

It will keep her from coughing. It works amazing! It's the only thing I use on my kids when they have a cough, then I don't have to give them that gross cough syrup! =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)