Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My 10 yr old dd has a bad cold and I'm thinking about putting Vicks on the bottom of her feet but I'm not sure what this is supposed to do. Does it help with a runny nose, cough, ...???  I've read about it several times but it's just that parents do it, not why they do it.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Replies (31-40):
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:35 AM

My mom never put it on the bottom of my feet. She always rubbed it on my chest. The vapors help to break up the congestion and help you breath a bit easier while you are sick. It does work. 

It is also said that if you have a pan that you don't ever wanna cook with again, you can put water and a little vicks in the pan of water and bring it all to a boil, then put your head over the pan with a towel over your head, making sure the towel doesn't catch fire and breath that in as well, and it will help. 

OliviasMommy611
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Oh! Ok

Quoting goddess99:

It is. I was wondering why so many parents put it on the feet.

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Why the feet ? I thought it was the chest?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eve-marie
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not about inhaling. Impurities are supposed to leave the body through the soles of the feet, and for flu if you cut an onion in half and put it cut-side to the bottom of your feet it draws the impurities out. I'm guessing the Vicks would do the same thing. My mother rubbed it on our chest and back, and she mixed it with Vaseline so it wouldn't burn our skin. And daddy made us wear socks to keep our feet warm.

Quoting Mommy4000:

My mil told me to do this because she said putting it on the chest would cause pneumonia. I've never found a doctor that could confirm that theory for me and putting it on the feet doesn't make sense. It just takes that much longer for the vapors to reach the nasal passage when you put it at the lowest part of the body.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Oh my dad used to cook it and breath it in under a towel.

Quoting Basherte:

My mom never put it on the bottom of my feet. She always rubbed it on my chest. The vapors help to break up the congestion and help you breath a bit easier while you are sick. It does work. 

It is also said that if you have a pan that you don't ever wanna cook with again, you can put water and a little vicks in the pan of water and bring it all to a boil, then put your head over the pan with a towel over your head, making sure the towel doesn't catch fire and breath that in as well, and it will help. 

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I've always just put it on my chest then wore a shirt to bed. It helps. My mom also used to put some right under our noses, but that we rubbed off as soon as we could, that was nasty.

Quoting goddess99:

Oh my dad used to cook it and breath it in under a towel.

Quoting Basherte:

splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never understood how it is supposed to help anything being on their feet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seraphimsong
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this
It's supposed to help with coughing. Not sure how it works exactly but I put it on my feet with socks before bed & it usually helps!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Colter
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

We tried this with our daughter who had a constant runny nose.  It really helped.  We put in on the bottom of her feet in the morning then put on socks and shoes as normal.  If we remembered we would put more on when she got home from daycare at about 4pm. We could really tell the difference.  

jdsmell7
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Yes it's great The basis of this is that we absorb & release toxins thru the bottom of our feet So it's not so much to rid a runny nose, but to cleanse the system :-)

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Thank you

Quoting jdsmell7:

Yes it's great The basis of this is that we absorb & release toxins thru the bottom of our feet So it's not so much to rid a runny nose, but to cleanse the system :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)