Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What's in a name?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:46 AM
  • 55 Replies
We all have our reasons why we pick our children's names. So why did you choose the name you chose and what does it mean? Middle name too if applicable.

My son's name is Donovan Alexander.

Donovan = Celtic/Irish meaning "Dark warrior" or "Dark haired chieftain"
Alexander = Greek "Warrior" or Protector of mankind"

I chose the name Donovan because I met a guy named Donovan several years ago and I fell in love with his name, not him though. I chose Alexander because it is a strong name and I wanted a name that meant "warrior." Which ironically both do. I got to pick the name for a boy and my husband got to pick a name for a girl. Which is a good thing we had a boy, he didn't come up with a name, but he gets to chose our next child's name boy or girl.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this

They are all named after dad in some way.

jbirdsladie27
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Oldest is named after his dad & youngest is named after both of our fathers
MsGrayciesMommy
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this

LOVE the name Donovan.

My dd name is Kenlyn Grayce. 

Ken is my dads name, Lyn is my mom and sisters middle names. and I chose grace because I was 20 when I got pregnant, and going out and drinking and partying everynight, and not living a good life. She was my Saving Grace. :)

artistmom27
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

My son's first name Anthony  is the English version of my grandfather's middle name. My son's middle name Stephen is his paternal grandfather's middle name.

My daughter was named after me. Rayne was one of my nicknames in highschool and Nicole is my middle name.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I choose the name Zadessa because I wanted something original. I made it up.

amanda81919
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Estevan victor=grandfather of my dh,except it was esteban. Victor bc it was a strong name
Valarie esperanza, =esperanza hope. She was supposed to be our last. Valarie well literally the only name we could agree on.
tifbrown
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Both of my girls have names that come from family members. And, I also really like the meanings of them.

Eva Shirley: Eva, is my middle name and my great grandmother's name. Shirley is my mom's sister who passed away from cancer 1 year, and 1 day before I was born.

Verina Mabel: Verina, is my husband's mom's real name, which she hates and doesn't go by. Mabel, is my husband's grandmother's name.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

We liked Olivia and her middle name is Joyce which is mine which came from my aunt who passed as a child.

DragonMother10
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Thanks. My son did the same. :)

Quoting MsGrayciesMommy:

LOVE the name Donovan.

My dd name is Kenlyn Grayce. 

Ken is my dads name, Lyn is my mom and sisters middle names. and I chose grace because I was 20 when I got pregnant, and going out and drinking and partying everynight, and not living a good life. She was my Saving Grace. :)

DragonMother10
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
My niece has a semi-original name. Her name is Aeon pronounced āon.

Quoting goddess99:

I choose the name Zadessa because I wanted something original. I made it up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)