Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
We all have our reasons why we pick our children's names. So why did you choose the name you chose and what does it mean? Middle name too if applicable.

My son's name is Donovan Alexander.

Donovan = Celtic/Irish meaning "Dark warrior" or "Dark haired chieftain"
Alexander = Greek "Warrior" or Protector of mankind"

I chose the name Donovan because I met a guy named Donovan several years ago and I fell in love with his name, not him though. I chose Alexander because it is a strong name and I wanted a name that meant "warrior." Which ironically both do. I got to pick the name for a boy and my husband got to pick a name for a girl. Which is a good thing we had a boy, he didn't come up with a name, but he gets to chose our next child's name boy or girl.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:46 AM
Replies (21-30):
DragonMother10
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Oh I see.

Quoting lovegrandbaby:

It is an Irish name meaning "God is Gracious"

AidansMomMom
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

My son's middle name is Tyler because his dad is Sean Tyler and his Grandma is Gina Tyler.

mommy936
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband and I had a hard time deciding the name of our daughter.  We finally agreed on Emily.  When I was in labor, the lady that was giving me a epidural asked what we was going to name our girl.  My husband said Emily Marie because Marie was my middle name.  I had picked out another middle name, but I thought it was nice he wanted to use my middle name so we did.

splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't pick either of my kids names...

Cameron Scott (ok I did sort of demand the middle name. That is his dads middle name)

Kaitlyn Rose. (Not sure why SO chose that name. I said I liked Katherine and then that blossomed into him choosing Kaitlyn.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
theschoenlys6
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Funny, I have never really looked up the meanings for my kids names.. LOL.. We just decided we liked the names.. we have six kids so here we go!!

Alexis Faith (Faith after My Grandmom! Alexis just because we liked it! it means defender which is her!)

Aaden Josiah (Josiah after My husbands brother who passed. Aaden John picked out. We were going to name him Austin but John made up his mind. AJ for short.) 

Addisyn Hope (Addie was picked because we met a gal with the named Addison had a nice ring to it. Hope just because we had a biblical trend going...) 

Ava Grace (After we had 3 A's we were like well we dont want to leave the 4th the odd ball. So Ava was very simple and very cute! Grace biblical.trend..)

Alivia Joy (her name seriously took us forever to choose... especially her middle name.. We picked Joy, one of my Best friends name is Joy, but John's grandma is Joyce that was a great combo. LOL. we Loved Olivia- we had the A trend going on.. why not do a little switch aroooo. Alivia. 

our new edition is a little more family named. Anneslie Noelle

My moms sister's name was Anne, and my sisters middle name is Lee, we kinda combine it and got Anneslie (Ansley) Which we instanly Adored! Noel is my husband's father, and Ellen is his mothers, so we combine those and  Noelle! :) That's how her name came to be! 

That's our kids! 

blancavazquez
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this

My son's name Michael Alexander
Michael = name of one of the archangels potrayed as the leader                                                 of heaven's armies and considered the patron saint of soldiers
Alexander = well as you said  "warrior" "protector of mankind"

My daughters name Sadie Jaya
Sadie = Princess
Jaya = victorious

I named both of my kids what I named them because of the meaning of the names...my son to me is a warrior and angel, and my daughter has been a victorious princess since befor she was born =)  

DragonMother10
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:10 AM
Wow, cool deal. :)

Quoting theschoenlys6:

Funny, I have never really looked up the meanings for my kids names.. LOL.. We just decided we liked the names.. we have six kids so here we go!!

Alexis Faith (Faith after My Grandmom! Alexis just because we liked it! it means defender which is her!)

Aaden Josiah (Josiah after My husbands brother who passed. Aaden John picked out. We were going to name him Austin but John made up his mind. AJ for short.) 

Addisyn Hope (Addie was picked because we met a gal with the named Addison had a nice ring to it. Hope just because we had a biblical trend going...) 

Ava Grace (After we had 3 A's we were like well we dont want to leave the 4th the odd ball. So Ava was very simple and very cute! Grace biblical.trend..)

Alivia Joy (her name seriously took us forever to choose... especially her middle name.. We picked Joy, one of my Best friends name is Joy, but John's grandma is Joyce that was a great combo. LOL. we Loved Olivia- we had the A trend going on.. why not do a little switch aroooo. Alivia. 

our new edition is a little more family named. Anneslie Noelle

My moms sister's name was Anne, and my sisters middle name is Lee, we kinda combine it and got Anneslie (Ansley) Which we instanly Adored! Noel is my husband's father, and Ellen is his mothers, so we combine those and  Noelle! :) That's how her name came to be! 

That's our kids! 

macmamba
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Lilliana- Lilya Podkapayeva was my favorite gymnast, Lily Potter was the greatest example of love between a mother and her child, Lilliana Haufmann- Bavarian princess, my favorite flower is the Calla Lily, the spelling is unique to the Italian version and Italy is where we spent our honeymoon and was the 4th language I learned to speak. 

Grace- in the hopes that my child would have more than I did :)

Dayna29
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM

My youngest wants to change her name because we kind of named her after her dad. She hates it now. (she hates biodad) I really don't know what to do about that now. :(

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Oldest sons first name means "Remembered by God" although I didn't know that when I picked the name out, but it fits, and his middle name is after his dad.  Daughters name was suggested to me by a friend, and is an Irish surname, so don't really have an actual meaning.  Her middle name is after my Mother in Law

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)