Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
We all have our reasons why we pick our children's names. So why did you choose the name you chose and what does it mean? Middle name too if applicable.

My son's name is Donovan Alexander.

Donovan = Celtic/Irish meaning "Dark warrior" or "Dark haired chieftain"
Alexander = Greek "Warrior" or Protector of mankind"

I chose the name Donovan because I met a guy named Donovan several years ago and I fell in love with his name, not him though. I chose Alexander because it is a strong name and I wanted a name that meant "warrior." Which ironically both do. I got to pick the name for a boy and my husband got to pick a name for a girl. Which is a good thing we had a boy, he didn't come up with a name, but he gets to chose our next child's name boy or girl.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:46 AM
Replies (31-40):
macmamba
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Maybe that could be a bonding moment between you two. If her biodad is not being a good father, her name could be a constant reminder that the person who is supposed to love you the most, doesn't. You two could sit down and discuss what names she likes, what she wants her name to mean, family connections and genealogy. Sometimes I wish we could all name our children after we get to know them a bit better!!

DragonMother10
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Well, you can legally change it if it's too much of a problem. Or find a way to get her to accept it. Maybe show her people with the same name if there is any.

Quoting Dayna29:

My youngest wants to change her name because we kind of named her after her dad. She hates it now. (she hates biodad) I really don't know what to do about that now. :(

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Scorpiomom78
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest DD's name is Rain Rebecca, her first is bc we both love the rain and her middle is for my DF's grandma that passed while I was pregnant with her.

My Oldest DS's name is Maxwell James, we had his middle name picked first, it's after my dad and his first name is bc it was a strong name and went well with James.

Our twins names are Royce Ryan & Mila Jordan. We wanted to stick with the same initials as our older two but switch the sex that had those initials. Royce my DF picked and it actually took me some time to get use to bc I didnt like it at first, and his middle name is DF's middle name. Mila we both just loved and from the moment we found out one of them was a girl we both said Mila for her and I picked her middle name Jordan bc I really liked it and would have liked it for a first name. :)

Sorry so long but 4 kids takes a minute to explain :) Lol

Emiliush
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

My sons name is Noam.[Sounds liek Noah. but with an "M"]

I was choosing Israeli names that go both way [girls and boys]

then I asked my three closest friends and they all fell in love with that name. I also LOVE that name

It means quiet, peaceful, pleasent. :)

Emiliush
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM

A!!! my name is Mila, In Ukrain\Russian.

Quoting Scorpiomom78:

My oldest DD's name is Rain Rebecca, her first is bc we both love the rain and her middle is for my DF's grandma that passed while I was pregnant with her.

My Oldest DS's name is Maxwell James, we had his middle name picked first, it's after my dad and his first name is bc it was a strong name and went well with James.

Our twins names are Royce Ryan & Mila Jordan. We wanted to stick with the same initials as our older two but switch the sex that had those initials. Royce my DF picked and it actually took me some time to get use to bc I didnt like it at first, and his middle name is DF's middle name. Mila we both just loved and from the moment we found out one of them was a girl we both said Mila for her and I picked her middle name Jordan bc I really liked it and would have liked it for a first name. :)

Emiliush
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

OH MY GOSH!! SAME WITH MY  MY TWO BROTHERS AND ME. WE ALL HAVE THE SAME NAME LIKE IN MY DADS FAMILY!!!!!!!! INCLUDING MY MOM!!!!!!!!

[then they wanted to name my son after my fathers great grampa. to make my grandma feel better. but I didn't like Sam. [Samuel] and it's just wayyy too many names from his side of the family!!!!!!]

Quoting delanna6two:

They are all named after dad in some way.

Emiliush
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM

i kinda like it... it sounds like From Odessa in Russian.

oh my

Quoting goddess99:

I choose the name Zadessa because I wanted something original. I made it up.

Scorpiomom78
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Well then I LOVE your name!!! :):) I get very annoyed though that no one seems to be able to pronounce it right! Lol

Quoting Emiliush:

A!!! my name is Mila, In Ukrain\Russian.

Quoting Scorpiomom78:

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM

The name Odessa was actually on my list but I lept working with it until I liked it.

Quoting Emiliush:

i kinda like it... it sounds like From Odessa in Russian.

oh my

Quoting goddess99:

I choose the name Zadessa because I wanted something original. I made it up.

Dayna29
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM

We've been trying to get her to accept it. Some days she is okay others, not so much. Even though with it being in a song, but she hates the song. She is being difficult. But how can I change her name if bd won't agree to anything I do? Or actually if I have sole custody, does he have a choice? LOL

Quoting DragonMother10:

Well, you can legally change it if it's too much of a problem. Or find a way to get her to accept it. Maybe show her people with the same name if there is any.

Quoting Dayna29:

My youngest wants to change her name because we kind of named her after her dad. She hates it now. (she hates biodad) I really don't know what to do about that now. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN