Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
We all have our reasons why we pick our children's names. So why did you choose the name you chose and what does it mean? Middle name too if applicable.

My son's name is Donovan Alexander.

Donovan = Celtic/Irish meaning "Dark warrior" or "Dark haired chieftain"
Alexander = Greek "Warrior" or Protector of mankind"

I chose the name Donovan because I met a guy named Donovan several years ago and I fell in love with his name, not him though. I chose Alexander because it is a strong name and I wanted a name that meant "warrior." Which ironically both do. I got to pick the name for a boy and my husband got to pick a name for a girl. Which is a good thing we had a boy, he didn't come up with a name, but he gets to chose our next child's name boy or girl.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:46 AM
Replies (41-50):
DragonMother10
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Hmm, well I am not sure if he has a choice or not, I am not a lawyer haha. Do you have a nickname for her? Or call her by her middle name instead. My mom hates her first name and always went by her middle name. Many people prefer to go by their middle name.

Quoting Dayna29:

We've been trying to get her to accept it. Some days she is okay others, not so much. Even though with it being in a song, but she hates the song. She is being difficult. But how can I change her name if bd won't agree to anything I do? Or actually if I have sole custody, does he have a choice? LOL

Quoting DragonMother10:

Well, you can legally change it if it's too much of a problem. Or find a way to get her to accept it. Maybe show her people with the same name if there is any.

Quoting Dayna29:

My youngest wants to change her name because we kind of named her after her dad. She hates it now. (she hates biodad) I really don't know what to do about that now. :(

Sammi20
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you xD A cashier at safeway, we talk to a lot, calls my daughter Natalie Portman lol Cracks me up.

Quoting DragonMother10:

The names fit really well with each other.

Quoting Sammi20:

We chose Natalie because out of the MILLION I wrote down... it is the Only one DH agreed with and loved. lol. I added Paige as her middle name because I used to have a teacher with a daughter thats first name was paige (In elementary school) and loved it. I remembered it all these years and decided it was perfect. Natalie Paige.

DragonMother10
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Haha, not going to lie, Natile Portman came across my mind.

Quoting Sammi20:

Thank you xD A cashier at safeway, we talk to a lot, calls my daughter Natalie Portman lol Cracks me up.

Quoting DragonMother10:

Quoting Sammi20:

We chose Natalie because out of the MILLION I wrote down... it is the Only one DH agreed with and loved. lol. I added Paige as her middle name because I used to have a teacher with a daughter thats first name was paige (In elementary school) and loved it. I remembered it all these years and decided it was perfect. Natalie Paige.

Sammi20
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:22 PM

haha Yeah. Ironically I Never connected the two until someone said it haha

Quoting DragonMother10:

Haha, not going to lie, Natile Portman came across my mind.

Quoting Sammi20:

Quoting DragonMother10:

Quoting Sammi20:

PoplarGrove
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:42 AM
1 mom liked this

All of my girls names sort of just came to me and I knew it was the right name.  

My oldest was named within minutes of being born - we hadn't picked a name but she looked like a Lily.

My second I had the name Aimee stuck in my head from the time I realized I was pregnant.  It turns out it was my birth name but I didn't know it at the time and she looks just like me and has my bio mom's personality.

My third's name popped into my head while I was in the shower one day.  It was a character in a book I had read as a child - Cecily

And my youngest every list we made had Ruby on it even though neither of us really liked the name.  When she was born her father looked at her and said "well, she's definitely a Ruby".  And she is.  

I didn't really look into what their names mean.  

abbysmom818
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Abigail means something along the lines of source of her fathers joy. It's very true. 

WithHope
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:15 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter was two days old with no name. I heard a Ben Folds song called "Gracie" and knew a variation of it was the right name for my little one. Her middle name is that of my best friend of now 25 years who was with me when I delivered. My boys have their Grandfather's names for their middle names and all 3 of my kids first names start with the letter g.
LilrockerMama
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this
My son is Ezekiel John- Zeke for short which at the time it meant shooting star and I had wished on a shooting star for someone then shortly after got pregnant lol. (I was 14) and then my daughter is Adalyn Grace, I just love the name Adalyn it means Nobel.

My next child if its a girl will be Sawyer Raelynn
No boys name agreed on
SparklingHope
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Samuel = "God heard"
David- = "beloved" 

It's a biblical name that we gave our ds. 

miracle0618
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM
2 moms liked this
I named my son Nehemiah Ezra Vasquez. Its all from the bible. :)

Nehemiah (ne-uh-MY-uh)= means "consultant of God.
Ezra = means "helper/aid"

Everybody wanted me to name him after daddy. Jacob but i didn't want it so i asked God to help and first thing in mind came Nehemiah and i always liked Ezra :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)