Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Potty training question

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:56 AM
  • 8 Replies

My 2 1/2 year old *knows* about going to the potty. She knows how and why. But she refuses. She screams and pitches a tantrum if I put panties on her. She knows enough to try to use the potty as an excuse to keep delaying naptime and bedtime.

Any clues on what to do? Just wait? Let her streak?

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I would just wait. I would think when she's really ready she wouldn't throw a fit, she'd be more excited.

marleylovesdrew
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM

i think u  should just wait. my olivia is a 1 1/2 years old and is starting to train. every one leans their own pace

splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Just hold off for awhile. IMO when you push it that only makes things worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fortheboys1218
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Hi there, I am going to agree with everyone here, my son was just over 2 when he started to train, and my sister in law wanted her son to train as well , he is 6 weeks older than my son, still now that they are both over 3 my nefew is reverting back to not wanting to go potty, because he was pushed to start when he wasnt ready. It is great she knows that is the first step. She will do it when she is  ready be patient, many docs say 3-4 is when they should start.

MsGrayciesMommy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Wait. It really is true when they say "when they're ready, they'll just get it". I tried and tried with my dd from 19/20m for a few weeks. Then gave up. Literally a week later she started on her own! Now shes 27months and I can count the accidents she's had on one hand! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emarin77
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Keep the potty available for her but keep her wearing pullups.  My son had this but grew out of it.

opinionatedmom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:09 AM

give her more time she is young. but something that held my kid back and he didn't train till 4 was he thought he would fall in the toilet and be flushed away and never see me again. ask her why she doesn't want to.  the answer may suprise you. and it doesn't hurt to let her streak.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I would just wait. Give it a few months and then try it again. She will go when she is ready.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN