Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My kid doesnt want to sleep by himself! Help!

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:40 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi! Im brand new to cafemom, ive been having some problems with my son who is 2. Ive always co-slept with him since he was teeny tiny, but now its becoming an issue as soon as he feels ive gone he immediatly wakes up and goes crazy. i cant even shower in the am or at night! idk what to do to break him out of my bed, want some advice from anybody else who has had this problem

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
zacmacsmomm
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Best of luck to you sweets.  I never had this issue, so I'm of no help.  Just want to say that this too shall pass!

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM

It's very hard to break once you start it. Believe me I know. Mine slept with me until they were older than two.

gcstar42
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM

What kind of bed does he sleep in when he is by himself? If he has a crib or a play pen I would probably try letting him cry it out for a few minutes at a time. I know many people are against crying it out though (even I am to a certain extent), but at age 2 I feel like it is not so bad.

SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't consider that a "problem" but rather a normal thing that is to be loved.  We don't even expect adults to sleep by themselves, why would we expect a 2 year old to?  2 year olds have not slept alone since the beginning of time.  Most 2 year olds in the world today do not sleep along.  This is a purely modern materialistic cultural phenomenon, expecting young children to sleep alone.  Children have a biological need to sleep near their parents.  Over 800 studies have shown the benefits of cosleeping for 2 year olds.  Don't listen to the naysayers who tell you this is a "habit" that "you started" or that you need to "break" it.  Rubbish!  

wifeynmommie80
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM

GAhhhhhhhh I am having the same problem with my 5 year old and its our fault, we are too tired in the middle of the night to fight with him. It started with my mom left back to NC then he couldn't sleep alone.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Yea, hub and I never believed in the "family bed"  We weren't big on co-sleeping.  Not saying the  kids never crawled in bed with us when they were old enough to get out of their own beds.  But my kids were in their cribs, in their rooms from the time they were infants.  I would love to tell you to just let him cry it out, but I dont' have to listen to it.  Have you talked to his peditrician?  Maybe he/she will have some advice to "wean" him from your bed. 

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I am having this same issue with my 20 month old. I am pregnant with baby #2 and will def be doing things a little differently. She started sleeping with us when we moved around 8 months. Before that her crib was in our room but she was not in our bed. Now it seems impossible to break this habbit! I LOVE cuddling my baby girl and theres nothing wrong with letting her crawl into bed with us every now and then but honestly, my husband and I need our time! Our space! I think thats important for a marriage and it is def taking its toll lately. Noone sleeps well and that affects all of us! We are trying to get her to sleep in her room but put the crib back up in our room. So, its between a crib in our room or big girl bed in her own room! I am hoping we can figure it out soon bc I can not take it much longer! If I find some good advice I will def share!

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Here's a BUMP. Never co slept because I didn't want this problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN