Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

When Socio-Economic status DOES matter..???

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM
  • 9 Replies

So, just realizing that this matters.. I'm not sure why I fooled myself for a short time into believing that it doesn't???   I guess I never realized it before because I've always been around people who share my same socio-economic status.  But seems friendships, no matter how strong they seemed, will dwindle and friends who are in the higher economic statuses will flock together? Is this a reality, or no? Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this? It kind of hurts, i guess..  I've always been a little uncomfortable with where me and my family "ARE" in life, and I'm constantly working toward a better life for us... but this kind of makes me feel a little worse.. like not good enough..  I don't know.. just wanted to vent somewhere, I guess.. Thanks ladies! 

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I am not sure. I guess all my friends are pretty much in the same situation as us.

eoewan
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Your socio economic status does matter. Yes, people with likeness do tend to group together. It's not that anyone is excluding or purposefully dividing others, it's just the way it is.

Let's say you have a higher standard of living then your friends. Your friends would exhibit jealousy, ask for help, and complain about their lot in life. Would this make them fun to be around? I think not. So you make new friends; friends that are comfortable like you where no demands of you are made.

JMHO

living
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Yes, I guess you all are right, it makes sense!  It's a little sad though.. this was an awesome friend, so much fun to be around, but I guess you're right.. I doubt she would ever hang out with me, come ot my house, let her baby play with my kids when she is older.  It's just a hard reality, I guess.. 

splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:19 PM
I think it is a factor. If friends are getting together and say going out to lunch... if one person can afford a fancy restaurant and is accustomed to eating there its probably going to be awkward if you can only afford mcdonalds.

Hopefully a good friend would understand that you can't afford that. But.. I still think it would come into play.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM

For me and my friends it doesn't matter. I'm in the middle I guess and have a friend who is Extremely well off and a friend who is 1 dime away from being homeless.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I just take it a day at a time and really don't get into that much.

OliviasMommy611
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM
We're all the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:26 PM
I have friends from all economic status.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Quoting Janet:

I have friends from all economic status.

Same here. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)