Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

No family support

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:38 PM
  • 37 Replies

Any other new moms with first child without family support?  I am 41 years of age with our first child and all of a sudden my Husband and I don't hear from our families. 

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM
2 moms liked this

i had plenty of help with my first daughter when i needed it. 4 yrs later and everyone sucks. Before and after when the baby is born, they all tell you that they are gonna come around alot or they will help you when ever you need it. And right when you get the guts up to ask..no one is available every single time. Grrrrrr. My youngest is 4 mos and i can count on both my hands how many times my mom has been around. She is always not feeling well or is too tired or isnt at home

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:56 PM

hmm that's odd. You would think they would be so excited. Maybe they just think you are busy?? Idk? Hopefully they will start calling or stopping by the see the baby.

Mimee1971
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Thank you for writing.  Sorry to hear your not getting much help either, especially with a newborn.  Its very disappointing.  I have 2 sisters and 2 sister in laws.  Just the inlaws have kids, which are grown.  We have all been very close.  The only thing we can come up with is selfishness.  My Husband and I have done so much for everyone over 23 years, thought i would have a couple of hours a week from them once in awhile.  Just to clean a little or go to a dentist appt or whatever.  My Husband is great but works every weekday.  My mom has passed and my mother in law is having foot problems.  I am so distracted and in a bad mood about this now for 15 months.  I wish i could leave it behind.

Mimee1971
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Yes we feel their being a bit selfish at this point as we have done nothing but good for all of them and their children.  I do hope i can find the strength to leave it behind me.  thats why i decided to join this website.  Thanks for writing.

TinkerBell2013
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I didnt have much help with my first son. We found out that my mom had cancer when i was 6 months pregnant and the drs told her while she was on the chemo she couldnt be around that baby. My in laws didnt want to help but they didnt care one bit to tell me I was doing this or that wrong. I am sorry you dont have any help. Hope they will come around and see that you do need them to help you out. 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this
That is strange. You think they would want to be around more now that you have their grandchild.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mimee1971
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:58 PM

sorry to hear about your mother.  i lost my mother to cancer 5 yrs ago.  thank you for sharing your story.

Mimee1971
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:00 PM

family seems selfish is all i can think of.  sad our son doesn't know them too well. i do hope it changes.  thank you

Squirrel1309
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:05 PM

My situation is slightly different, all our friends disappeared after our baby was born. My mom is pretty good but my in laws all promised all sorts of things and have all conveninetly forgotten. Also my mother in law ignores whatever I tell her and does whatever she wants with my son.

Mimee1971
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:08 PM

thank you!  my friends also don't keep in touch.  you take care too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)