Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What can I do to help my congested 2 year old?

Posted by   + Show Post

She is just absolutely miserable right now. Her little chest sounds horrible. Her nose has been pouring non-stop. Obviously I can't give her any over the counter stuff since she is so young. Shes sleeping now but I think if she wakes up I will try to run some really hot water in the shower & let the bathroom steam up.

Any other ideas on anything I can do to help her?

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Replies (21-30):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Ditto

Quoting enafaye:

Our dr. always suggested salt water nose drops, and a cool mister in the bedroom. Hope she feels better soon.

jdsmell7
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Put a vaporizer in her room & use Johnson's baby bath w/ eucalyptus vapor in the tub-- it really opens them up! I also use children's Advil Hope that will help ! Also, keep her away from ANY cigarette smoke if anyone is a smoker cause it makes things worse !!

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Johnson's and Johnson's has this green stuff that goes into the bath. It is eucalyptus or however that is spelled, It has no medicine in it. It's all natural stuff. It will help to decongest her. It helps my son a lot, and even helps my husband when he is having a really bad allergy day. If it can help my husband, it can help just about everyone. GOod luck momma.

apixieprincess
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Yep, this and Vicks.

Push the fluids too.

Quoting enafaye:

Our dr. always suggested salt water nose drops, and a cool mister in the bedroom. Hope she feels better soon.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:21 PM

You can give her Hyland's Cough and Cold medicine. It's formulated for 2+. Also a humidifer may help. Do I need to send you my number?? ;)

splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:14 AM

We have some cough & cold stuff that is 2+ Similisan I think? It wasn't helping with the congestion. And I try to avoid medications if I can. And didn't have a whole lot in the house to work with lol. Its always nice hearing suggestions from other moms. :)   

She was still a little congested today. But wayyy better. The vicks seems to be working so now she is just coughing a bunch.

Quoting jltplk25:

You can give her Hyland's Cough and Cold medicine. It's formulated for 2+. Also a humidifer may help. Do I need to send you my number?? ;)

WithHope
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:34 AM
I swear by my kids Vicks vaporizer. They sleep next to it and it helps instantly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
isellglasses
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Get baby vicks vapor rub, I'm sure you won't want to try this, but, my sons doctor told me to give him 1/2 tsp of benadryl when he was sick, he was 2 at the time. Baby vapor rub is going to be a quick and easy relief, I got mine at walgreens, I got their brand. My son loves it when he is sick, he will ask for his "cream"
I hope baby feels better soon! :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:12 AM

We are the same way. The Hylands is homeopathic. Glad she's feeling better!

Quoting splatz:

We have some cough & cold stuff that is 2+ Similisan I think? It wasn't helping with the congestion. And I try to avoid medications if I can. And didn't have a whole lot in the house to work with lol. Its always nice hearing suggestions from other moms. :)   

She was still a little congested today. But wayyy better. The vicks seems to be working so now she is just coughing a bunch.

Quoting jltplk25:

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

Shelly126
by Michele on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Glad she is feeling better! And I'll say what most others say.....I use a humidifier in their room with a Vicks pad, I put baby Vicks on their chest and feet with socks, use a bulb syringe to suction and saline spray in the nose. I also try to either keep them away from or @ least limit and water down milk (if they insist on it) and keep them drinking all day as much as I can to keep them hydrated. A few times my son was really congested and I did use children's benedryl (my boys are also just over 2) and it worked well, but I keep that for when they are really super congested and miserable...it does the trick and makes them more comfortable. I use johnsons vapor wash in a nice warm bath and I also try to keep them elevated when sleeping.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)