Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dehydrated 3 yr old

Posted by   + Show Post

my 3 year old wont drink water! the closest i can get is capri suns roaring waters, what else can i give him to keep/rehydrate him thats as good as water?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Yeah I'm not sure how well kool aid mixes with things. He might like the flavored ones. I like the icy idea too. Popsicles might do the trick.

Quoting my4loves4:

Quoting goddess99:

I always gave 100% juice, milk, if you think he's really dehydrated, I would give Pedialyte. I would always buy the unflavored and add a little apple juice so my dd would drink it.

Well the problem with juice is he gets diahrea, we are trying to potty train but he is still having irregualr bowel movements, hes always either constipated or has diahrea, i think he gets constipated from being dehydrated, so i push juice since he wont drink water, but then he just gets diahrea so im trying to find something in between. And i tried the pedialyte unflavored (because my daughter needed it too but shes to young for flavors), and mixed some kool aid in it, but he didnt like it... maybe ill try one of the already flavored ones?

wifeynmommie80
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:39 PM

You need to toss carpi suns. Thats full of sugar and bad for a little 3 year old. Juice is overrated too. So yea , get some pedialyte or Gatorade.  Now remember, this wont "Hydrate" your child. Thats not what electrolytes do.  Biggest misconception. They will however help the body retain the water needed for hydration. So your gonna have to get ur kid to drink water. Plain and simple. Maybe add a little lemon, or somthing.  But in the end they need to drink water.

thecoffeefairy
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Mio is a calorie free flavoring you can add to water. I will only drink purified water. I hate tap water.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blancavazquez
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:46 PM

when my kids get sick (diarrhea) they don't want to drink water, I wont give them juice or milk because I was told sugar makes the diarrhea worse so to keep them hydrated I give them very cold pedialyte they refuse to drink it so with the syringe I use to give them medicene I make them drink atleast 4ml every 5-10 min, sometimes they do drink the pedialyte but only if its fruit punch flavor and it has to be very very very cold. I also give them chicken stew just the stew in a sippy cup I give them sugar free popsicles yes even in the winter  that keeps them well hydrated :) I hope that helps

SerenityBerry
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Pedialyte and milk would be the next best options. Watermelon and cucumbers both contain a lot of water in food form, you might be able to sneak it into him that way as well. 

momamanda
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Popsicles!!

Hollysb
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:45 AM
Gatoraid..I have the powder from Sams..15 sugars per 8oz..it has sodium for the body to retain the water so u dont get dehydrated..I do not use sugar free because both sweeteners turn into formaldehyde once they get in your system..Otherwise I would use them..Stevia is good..my son likes ordinary decaf tea with stevia..He loves herbal tea's peach ect..Hope you can find something..I buy capri sun Duper V..my son loves them ..They have fruit and veggies in them ..and they taste good they are part water also..my son also drinks Vitamin Water bur they do have 30 sugars per 8oz but truely have awesome vitamins depending on which one u choose. when a kid is sick they need some sugar for energy..
Hollysb
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:47 AM
Capri Sun Super V

Quoting Hollysb:

Gatoraid..I have the powder from Sams..15 sugars per 8oz..it has sodium for the body to retain the water so u dont get dehydrated..I do not use sugar free because both sweeteners turn into formaldehyde once they get in your system..Otherwise I would use them..Stevia is good..my son likes ordinary decaf tea with stevia..He loves herbal tea's peach ect..Hope you can find something..I buy capri sun Duper V..my son loves them ..They have fruit and veggies in them ..and they taste good they are part water also..my son also drinks Vitamin Water bur they do have 30 sugars per 8oz but truely have awesome vitamins depending on which one u choose. when a kid is sick they need some sugar for energy..

Hollysb
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:59 AM
1 mom liked this
You might want an allergy test to see if he is slightly allergic to fruit juice or milk ect..you can water his juice half way..I get diarea from Equal..Spenda also makes my body hurt. I read someone say to serve the flavored pedialite very cold..It is right on cause it tast.terrible to me..Serve icy cold..Hope I helped a lirtle..God Bless..
LADYxGHOST
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:02 AM

walmart has generic MIO drink enhancers. No sugar and my kids enjoy it. It is near the crystal light

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)