Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Home school vs. Public school

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: Home school vs. Public school

Options:

Home School

Public School

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

I have a almost 5 year old and  I am trying to decide wether to put her into public school or to home school her. I am not sure about public schools right now with all the recent events. I mean you have all the shooting and not to long ago there was a 2nd grader raped by another one in the school bathroom. I am very nervouse about sending her to school. So I am looking to see what other people think. Thanks for your help all!!!

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Millions of kids go to public school every day and none of those things happen to most of them ever. The likely hood is very slim. To me home school is for other things, not fear.

Abbysmom1215
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM
We're planning on homeschooling. My little one is only two though. I dont have much faith in the public school system. I'd encourage you to join a homeschool group/co-op in your area. That way you'll have support and activites for your dd.

You could also look into a charter school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poohsybear
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Me wanting to home school is not only for fear but also for the fact that the schools around here suck. The testing has been below average and now is so bad that you no longer have a school district we are able to go to any of the surrounding schools. The only thing is then I will have to drive her out of town every day for school and pick her up. Thats a lot of gas with the gas prices so high. I am just not sure if it is worth it or if she would just get a better education here at home. I do child care from my home also so she has interaction with other children anyways and we have home school groups around here too. I am just trying to decide what going to be the best ting for her. Thanks

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't favor one over the other.....I'm fine with either one...but I would say make the choice that is best or best fits your family...

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM

That's a choice only you can make for your family.  For us homeschooling is the way to go.  We do use a charter school so we are not independent homeschoolers and that works really well for my family.  My son is 5 1/2 and there's just no place for him in public schools.  I also have a daughter who will be 3 in April

CrazyLife1996
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:59 PM
We homeschool because it is right for our family.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JOEJULA
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

If you can afford it private school. I went on a tour of a private school last week, and let me just I feel like I have failed by putting my kids in public school. These children were well mannered and intelligent to say the least.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM

your child isnt gonna be any safer at home. Just goin somewhere like a walk to shopping or getting in a car is a risk in itsself everyday. I would love to keep my babies at home but i know its better for then to get out and learn about life. I cant teach them what they need to learn thats outside the home. And i cant protect them from everything. They need to learn to live in this world and since we wont be around someday. But what works best for you and your kids is all that matters. Only you the parent knows whats best for your kiddo and if its homeschooling than there is nothing wrong with that

edieda
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Not all Public Schools are havens for crime, and the cases that you do hear about could happen at any school regardless of it is a private school, public, or parochial school. You should make your decision based on what you feel is best for you and your family. There are many people from all walks of life who were products of Public Schools all across the country , and not al of them are out robbing, killing or raping. I am sure Homeschooling while it is more of an open availability would appeal to some, just go with what is best for your family and situation. However, don't be afraid to explore the opportunities that are available in attending a public school. I feel like this, if you as a parent stay involved with your child in the learning process at school ( no matter which one you decide for your child to attend) get to know the teachers , the principal, go on field trips, be an active parent, and then you will know what goes on first hand at the school that you have picked for your child to attend, that way her teacher and all the others will know you and know that you are active in being there for her no matter what happens. Many schools have PTO's or PTA's become involved in it. Another option you may want to consider besides Homeschooling( I am not knocking it ) is to consider Charter Schools. these are schools which are a part of many public school districts all around the country , they are an option rather than having her attend a regular public school.  I wish you much success on whatever school you decide on for your child .  

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM

My son had to go to public school because he is legally blind, only has limited vision out of one eye.  There was NO way I was going to home school him.  He is 19 and graduated.  My daughter is 13. I took her out of our neighborhood school in 3rd grade, because they lost a teacher and wasn't going to hire another 3rd grade teacher.  So that would have put some 30 + kids in a class room.  I put her in a charter school after that.  She went to the charter school through 6th grade.  She did great.  For 7th grade I put her in a middle school that was in our boundaries.  It was horrible.  Not the teachers or studies, but the students and their parents were awful.  The neighborhood was awful.  I pulled her out at semester and she did an online school for the rest of the year, that too was a nightmare lol.  I was able to get a permit for her to attend 8th grade at a really good school in our district.  She loves it there.  For HS, I am enrolling her in a charter school.  I don't want her to go to school with the same awful kids that she spent the first half of 7th grade in.  Also the charter school has a wonderful arts and drama program.  Homeschooling is not something I ever wanted to do, it's a personal choice.  If you choose to homeschool, make sure you get in with a homeschooling group so your child will develope essential social skills.  When done right, homeschooling works great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)