Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

stop telling me how you think I should take care of my child!!!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:11 AM
  • 9 Replies
DF and I live in the basement of his parents' house, DS's room is upstairs. DS is almost 3 months old, and DF's parents help out with taking care of him. Lately they have constantly been trying to convince me that DS needs to have rice cereal in his bottle because he cries when he's done with a bottle and they think that must mean he's still hungry. But as soon as we start burping him he stops crying so it's more likely to be gas pains. Sometimes he doesn't finish all 4 ounces, so why would I try giving him more?? He used to get 5-6 oz but he was spitting up a LOT and his ped said it was because we were giving too much, and when we switched to 4 everything got better. I don't want to make them think I don't appreciate their help, because I REALLY REALLY do appreciate everything they've done for us, but I have told them a thousand times he's not ready for rice cereal, he doesn't need more food, and rice cereal isn't supposed to be given in a bottle anymore. They comment every day about how "it's too bad mommy doesn't give us more to feed you" and "you would like cereal, wouldn't you" things like that. It makes me feel like a bad mom when they say those things, especially because I'm trying so hard to do everything the best way I can. Just because they gave their kids cereal at 6 weeks and their kids were HUGE (one was 14 lbs at birth) doesn't mean my average-size baby needs it right now. I'm also worried that this is just the start of a parenting war where they'll want me to do EVERYTHING their way. He's MY son, I'll raise him the way I think is best for him!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
zacmacsmomm
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Just be polite about it.  If your son is only drinking 4oz at a time, there is no way he needs cereal.  Besides I guess you aren't supposed to be putting cereal in a bottle.  It's supposedly a choking hazard.  Best of luck

lovingmommywife
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I would just tell them the cereal would be to much. And tell the dr says no. And also say u can't put it in the bottles no more!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Tell them the dr. told you what he needs and you don't want to make him sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you. They need to clam up. I would start looking for a way to move.

DixieFlower
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I went through the same thing with my mom except she wasn't living with us. It was everytime she came over to visit which was practically everyday. I just learned to ignore her. I knew that what I was doing for my sons was best for them.

Megz93
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM
we're saving up to move into a co-op, but I lost my job so it's going to take longer than we thought. we love his parents, it's just that they need to listen when I tell them what I want for my baby.

Quoting goddess99:

I agree with you. They need to clam up. I would start looking for a way to move.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell them that the new research says that babies can't digest grains until they're much older and it could give your ds lifelong issues. That's what I read in another post about cereal and grains, etc. 

Aleta775
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as they don't over step and give him formula and soilds ahead of time, there is very little you can do or say. I know they are getting on your nerves, but just ignore them. They probably don't understand that the rules have changed sine they had kids. 

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I would just tell them in a polite way that you will feed him how your Dr tells you to and they need to accept it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)