Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth control questions

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:47 PM
  • 9 Replies
Ok so I just had my second baby 6 weeks ago, I plan on getting an iud, prolly mirena if I can't get paragard. My Ob wants me on the pill first though to prevent pregnancy and so I have a few periods first.

I've only taken the pill once, and I had so many issues remembering it that I quit. I didn't have to worry about pregnancy at the time but wanted to be smart just in case.

Well with my first I went on nuvaring after, insurence stopped covering it. Then tried the shot, made me a psycho bitch. Then the patch... I had an allergic reaction to the patch well by that time I wanted my second so we stopped bc and tried for him.

Now my Ob has me on the pill. I can't tell you which one cause its in the livingroom and I'm laying holding baby cause " growth spurts hurt mmmmk"

She didnt explain when to start it, just to take it then get iud. So do you wait for your first post partum period, or can you start immediately?

Ill call tomorrow and ask to be certain but I can't sleep as its driving me nuts wondering.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:49 PM
I started immediately. If I had waited for my period I would have been waiting forever.
Sparkyfire
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Yea, that's my thought too. My first I think he was 2-3 months old before my period returned. And they had me start the ring immediately that day I got it.

Shoulda asked while there I know but I had more important things on my mind, like getting help for my ppd :/

Quoting shadow_lark:

I started immediately. If I had waited for my period I would have been waiting forever.
splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Quoting shadow_lark:

Same here.
Sparkyfire
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Also will birth control affect what I'm taking for my ppd issue? It's what I took 8 years ago when I medicated for my bipolar before I learned to be aware of what triggered and could control it myself with little to no issue.

I had to ask to be medicated again because I feel unable to control it anymore so she put me on lexapro again. I see a psych doctor the 9th but per my request she wrote me a script for something to start now in the hopes it helps.
splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I took Zoloft & the pill together with no issues after my 2 year old was born. I would hope your dr wouldn't prescribe something with adverse affects. :/ 

Hope life is able to get back to normal for you asap as far as the ppd. Good luck mama!

Sparkyfire
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM
She put me back on lexapro since it was what I was on before. She did mention I'd prolly need to switch it once I talk to the psych doctor on the 9th. Prolly to something to better suit my needs more than side effect issues.

I am thankful though that my Ob called the psych doc and set me up an appointment when I told her I didn't feel right mentally. Saved me hours of hunting a doctor down.

Quoting splatz:

I took Zoloft & the pill together with no issues after my 2 year old was born. I would hope your dr wouldn't prescribe something with adverse affects. :/ 

Hope life is able to get back to normal for you asap as far as the ppd. Good luck mama!

SlapItHigh
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I'm very sorry for your loss. 

DixieFlower
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I'm thinking you are supposed to start it immedately. Not sure though.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Quoting DixieFlower:

I'm thinking you are supposed to start it immedately. Not sure though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)