Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: What Would You Do For Internet Fame?

Warning: Graphic Topic! (Video NOT included)

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

What would you do for fifteen minutes of Internet fame?
    This past week,15 year old Giovanna Plowman posted a truly disgusting video of                       herself to You Tube, all in the hopes of gaining Internet notoriety.
                 Before you can say feminine hygenie products, the video goes viral
                                               and Giovanna is a YouTube hit.
        I have to wonder if fleeting Internet fame is worth a lifetime of being known as
                   the girl who ate the used tampon or as she is being referred to
                                               on social media,"Tampon Girl".

1. Before today, had you heard about "Tampon Girl"?
  2. Why do you think people are willing to go to extreme lengths to gain internet 'fame' or popularity?
  3.  What is the most extreme thing you or your child have done in the name of popularity?                    

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Replies (101-110):
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Quoting JTnJT:

An orange julius with raspberry please...

Nope, never heard of "Tampon Girl" before reading this post.   I don't understand the "Internet popularity" thing....I would think being "popular" with people you actually know, would mean more than being popular with millions of people you've never met, nor are likely to ever meet.   But that aside....I think (at least part of) the reason behind this intense need....is because of the "Hollywood Glamor" melting pot....I think that some people believe....that if they grab attention on line...it's somehow equivalent to being a Hollywood movie star....I don't know, I don't understand it.  

As far as the dumbest thing ever done for popularity....well it wasn't exactly for popularity, as it was trying to prove a point (which was a miserable failure!)....but when I was 5 some neighborhood kids starting calling me a "sissy"....and thinking that it would prove them wrong....I placed my pinkie finger on the curb to the side walk, and took a rubber mallet to it....broke my finger...cried like a "sissy"....and (what few people I still know from that time) still can't live it down.

mbsllc
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I did see it. It's not real. It's totally just for the attention it's getting. 

Hippie.Gypsy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Okay... time for me to get out more... there is absolutely no reason to *gags* nope...

lilyismyheart
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Pls tell me it wasnt used...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
violetstar20
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM
My drink will be a double mocha latte with a shot of espresso with whip cream & chocolate drizzle.
I never heard of "Tampon girl". That is the nastiest thing I've ever heard. I don't understand how it could have gotten that many hits. As for the 15 minutes of fame, I don't want to do something to be famous, I want to do something that will make a difference, & the viewers will "pay it foward".
imultracool
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM
I have never done anything for popularity. Its never been important to me. I'm trying to raise my kids to feel the same. I don't think I would describe the attention that girl has gotten as popularity.
Saranda
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Can anyone tell me why would she do that? I think there are million other things to do to gain fame so why be nasty? Doesn't she know that the menstrual blood is actually dangerous?
toni77
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:13 PM
My 15 year old son told me about it. Lovely world we have.
PolkaDots3220
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Wtf...
JennPearce
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:37 PM
I have absolutely no desire to be famous. Unless of course it was for doing good things. Nobody wants to see good though. I'll just keep up my good deeds on the down-low. At least I won't be known for eating tampons. That's DISGUSTING.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)