Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: What Would You Do For Internet Fame?

Warning: Graphic Topic! (Video NOT included)

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

What would you do for fifteen minutes of Internet fame?
    This past week,15 year old Giovanna Plowman posted a truly disgusting video of                       herself to You Tube, all in the hopes of gaining Internet notoriety.
                 Before you can say feminine hygenie products, the video goes viral
                                               and Giovanna is a YouTube hit.
        I have to wonder if fleeting Internet fame is worth a lifetime of being known as
                   the girl who ate the used tampon or as she is being referred to
                                               on social media,"Tampon Girl".

1. Before today, had you heard about "Tampon Girl"?
  2. Why do you think people are willing to go to extreme lengths to gain internet 'fame' or popularity?
  3.  What is the most extreme thing you or your child have done in the name of popularity?                    

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Replies (21-30):
kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Are you kidding Me? 

No, I haven't heard of this video until today.  Is it for real?  

I have never ever done anything in the name of fame or notoriety or popularity.  Never.  Neither have any of my kids.   

I sure could use a nice, hot cup of hot cocoa with creme, please.  

Thank you.  :)  

louzannalady
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

First time to hear of "Tampon Girl", was just now. I feel someone who would go to those lenghts is short-sighted, because that video will haunt them the rest of their lives. I also feel that maybe, they need some help. If they have to have the validation of strangers in this way, they have some unmet emotional needs and that is not healthy. I never was so worried about being popular. I always have lived to the beat of my own drummer, so I did not expect anyone else to hear it or get it. I have always been happy doing my own thing and sticking with those who got me! : ) Well once, in fifth grade, I had my mom buy me a "No Fear" t-shirt, because that is what was popular. It did not change the fact that I am an eccentric, book worm, with an odd sense of humor. : ) Our sons are two years old and six months old. I pray, they never feel they need validation like this and that I have raised them to have as my family calls it "good sense"!

Schleetle
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM
No way, and I would be so pissed if my teenagers did anything that stupid.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gizmo538
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Wow. Really wish I hadn't clicked on this post. As if morning sickness wasn't hard enough to deal with :(

No, I would never stoop to degrading myself for a few minutes of internet fame.

coupon_ash_back
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM
I only saw a little because I didn't know what people meant. All I heard was some dumb teenager ate a tampon. I didn't know it was used,that she took it out in front of the camera while wearing some whorish shirt to get attention.
Truly disgusting,where are her parents? She is lacking attention obviously, to want to be known as tampon girl.
coupon_ash_back
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Quoting dudestfd:

good, I didn't watch it long enough to know. How sick.
dudestfd
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM

After she said she would suck on it and chase it with water I backed out... 

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

Quoting dudestfd:

good, I didn't watch it long enough to know. How sick.

got3boyz
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Yes, I've heard of her, and it's pretty disgusting the lengths people will go to for fame.  I don't really see what she hoped to gain from this.  Yes, many people know who she is now but I wouldn't want to be pinned with a reputation like that, and the nickname "Tampon Girl".  

Loving19mommy92
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Nasty, her parents need to spend more time with this girl so she can stop going to extremes to get attention elsewhere.

CafeMom Tickers

jazzgirl205
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't do this for popularity but just because it sounded fun. The wildest thing I ever did on the media was get brutally murdered (with my 7yo dd) by Seminole Indians on a documentary for the History Channel.  The murderers were real Seminoles and they were extremely nice.  DD and I made $100 each.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)