Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: What Would You Do For Internet Fame?

Warning: Graphic Topic! (Video NOT included)

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

What would you do for fifteen minutes of Internet fame?
    This past week,15 year old Giovanna Plowman posted a truly disgusting video of                       herself to You Tube, all in the hopes of gaining Internet notoriety.
                 Before you can say feminine hygenie products, the video goes viral
                                               and Giovanna is a YouTube hit.
        I have to wonder if fleeting Internet fame is worth a lifetime of being known as
                   the girl who ate the used tampon or as she is being referred to
                                               on social media,"Tampon Girl".

1. Before today, had you heard about "Tampon Girl"?
  2. Why do you think people are willing to go to extreme lengths to gain internet 'fame' or popularity?
  3.  What is the most extreme thing you or your child have done in the name of popularity?                    

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Replies (51-60):
ms-superwoman
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I don't think that it was really a used tampon. I think it was a fake and everyone is believing a Youtube video.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I cannot believe that this made the frot page of CM

jyofray
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Before today I have never heard of her. Why do people do things to gain any kind of fame? I'd say because they feel the need to want to become a celebrity by all means. Now a days it doesn't take much to become a "star" post a hit video (no matter how crazy) and some how you get recognition. Can't blame them, blame the ones that find that kind of trash worth while. That's the sad part. Would my family do anything like that? I sure as hell hope not. It's sad. IMO.

godsgirl26
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Im with you i cannot watch that. She is just nasty.

Quoting zetajen:

she eats a tampon? I am not going to watch that.

Ladybugmama86
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I have never heard of her, not do I have any desire to! That is just wrong,

I am perfectly happy being a no body thank you very much!! If I ever get to be well known hopefully it is for a good cause or good reason.

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Allebas
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I haven't really 'done' anything to try to gain 'fame.' One of the craziest things I ever did was when I was 18, my the guy I was dating at the time and I and his nephew were in a public parking garage. It was the middle of the afternoon. I asked my boyfriend if he wanted to see my hot, pink underpanties!! ROFL!! ROFL!! I was wearing a mini-skirt. He would turn bright red whenever he was embarrassed! It was fun to tease him! He told me, "NO!!" I went ahead and pulled my skirt up and showed off my hot pink underpanties and his face turned so red it was hilarious!!! He told me to pull my skirt back down before someone saw me!! Him and his nephew stood there laughing almost as hard as I was!! LOL!! LOL!! TOO FUNNY!! I did finally pull my skirt back down!!! And no--there wasn't anyone else around in the parking garage that saw anything!! I've grown UP A LOT since then and no I would not do that now or anything close to that!!

babygomez
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Nothing. I wouldn't do anything to become "famous" over the internet. Only lonely, miserable people seek to be famous/popular, and I am neither of those. :)

cafemeplease
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM

ummmm....ew! I never heard of her and have  no desire to watch the video.. Hope she enjoys her 15 minutes of fame sure to end with a lifetime of being a joke

DragonMother10
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM
I have seen much more gross things, but she is 15 years old of course she is going to be stupid. Not saying all teenagers are too dumb to do something like this. I wonder what her parents think. I am sure they know by now even if they are not internet savvy. People will do stupid things to get attention. They should tell YouTube to take down the video.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LadyOphelia
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I half heard about her yesterday. Someone referenced tampon girl, and various other you tube oddities in relation to how sad society is acting to get noticed. Typically curiosity gets the best of me, but I think in this case....NOPE NOPE NOPE. I don't want to go look or find out.

I wasn't "popular" by popular standards. But being in theater & involved in just about anything I could, I was well known. I did goofy stuff not to gain press but just because it was Tuesday & I felt like it! :)  I would never go that far though. Hell, I can't stand the girls who are so starved for attention that they post half naked or highly suggestive pics places just to get creepers to comment on them. Sad thing is, a new member of the family is one of those girls. Here I am struggling to make sure my kids know that they should be known for being amazing, my daughter should have class & grace always....and this other person has a pic of a necklace that she is handily covering her nipples with a hand. Not neccessary!  But 10 people from other countries commented on how "long you make me, we skype now sexy lady".  Not good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)