Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: What Would You Do For Internet Fame?

Warning: Graphic Topic! (Video NOT included)

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

What would you do for fifteen minutes of Internet fame?
    This past week,15 year old Giovanna Plowman posted a truly disgusting video of                       herself to You Tube, all in the hopes of gaining Internet notoriety.
                 Before you can say feminine hygenie products, the video goes viral
                                               and Giovanna is a YouTube hit.
        I have to wonder if fleeting Internet fame is worth a lifetime of being known as
                   the girl who ate the used tampon or as she is being referred to
                                               on social media,"Tampon Girl".

1. Before today, had you heard about "Tampon Girl"?
  2. Why do you think people are willing to go to extreme lengths to gain internet 'fame' or popularity?
  3.  What is the most extreme thing you or your child have done in the name of popularity?                    

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Replies (61-70):
thanush
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I feel like throwing up. Why did I think I have the stomach to read this. Lol throwing up

DixieFlower
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:51 PM
  1. Before today, had you heard about "Tampon Girl"? No I hadn't
  2. Why do you think people are willing to go to extreme lengths to gain internet 'fame' or popularity? I really have no idea
  3.  What is the most extreme thing you or your child have done in the name of popularity?  Not one thing.

Now I will say that when my oldest niece was younger we went to Dollywood and got there to have Breakfast at "Aunt Granny's" (It opened an hour before the park) It was right across from Lil Dolly's dress shop. We made sure we had a window seat so we could watch for the moment they opened and took my niece over so she could be "lil miss Dolly" for a day. They put her in one of the dresses with matching socks and hair bows. She had to wear it around the park for 4 hours and then it was hers to keep.

I'd like a vanilla creme please :)
Mama2JoshKatie
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:59 PM

That is so sick!!

I'd rather be a nobody my entire life then get famous for doing something disgusting. If I become well known I only want it to be for something good I've done with my life. Even as a "nobody" I'll always have the love of my family and friends. I'm "somebody" to them and that means more to me then what a bunch of strangers think.

ChocolateJunky
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I don't care how famous it would make me. Never ever ever would I eat a freaking tampon. That woman is either an idiot or VERY desperate for attention.

GraceStrickland
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Poor kid is never going to be respected by anyone.

raphaella
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

We have created a culture whose only rule is "Anything goes"  The only thing that matters to alot of people are breaking boundaries and smashing perceptions of what is right and wrong. It used to be clear what was right and what was wrong. Now everything is right. The more outrageous you are the more people give you attention, fame and money.

The reality shows display behavior that is downright disgusting alot of times. The Glass house, for example, (and I didn't watch it, just to clarify..lol) allowed viewers to 'control' what the people in the house did. So there was one guy that did what he was told to do...and was mean and hateful towards some people. How is being mean and hateful ok?

We have made it ok. We make these people celebrities. We watch those shows, advertisers spend money because that is what the people want to see.  

And...no doubt the tampon eating girl will get her 15 minutes of fame because thats what we have said was ok.

Zadidoll
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Before today, had you heard about "Tampon Girl"? - Nope. And just the title alone makes me want to avoid it.

Why do you think people are willing to go to extreme lengths to gain internet 'fame' or popularity? Money, "fame".

What is the most extreme thing you or your child have done in the name of popularity? Became a beauty blogger. LOL

colins_mom
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:30 PM
From what my friends brother said it looks like jelly/water/food coloring.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sashamom03
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM
My daughter entered the talent show at school and hoola hooped. She was awesome. No one viewed her at all. I guess only the raunchy get the most views.
ohmandy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:52 PM

ummm, no, i dont WANT internet fame

and thanks, cause now i know what my students were talking about... this inspired lots of nasty topics that i had to continually ask them to STOP having.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)