Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: What Would You Do For Internet Fame?

Warning: Graphic Topic! (Video NOT included)

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

What would you do for fifteen minutes of Internet fame?
    This past week,15 year old Giovanna Plowman posted a truly disgusting video of                       herself to You Tube, all in the hopes of gaining Internet notoriety.
                 Before you can say feminine hygenie products, the video goes viral
                                               and Giovanna is a YouTube hit.
        I have to wonder if fleeting Internet fame is worth a lifetime of being known as
                   the girl who ate the used tampon or as she is being referred to
                                               on social media,"Tampon Girl".

1. Before today, had you heard about "Tampon Girl"?
  2. Why do you think people are willing to go to extreme lengths to gain internet 'fame' or popularity?
  3.  What is the most extreme thing you or your child have done in the name of popularity?                    

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Replies (81-90):
Pattiann236
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I DO NOT EVER WANT TO BE ON YOUTUBE.....THERE ARE SO MANY SICKOS OUT THERE I FEEL SORRY FOR PEOPLE WHO ONLY THINK THEY CAN GET ATTENTION  BY DOING SOMETHING SICK OR STUPID, SOME YOUTUBE STUFF IS TERRIFIC BUT I IGNORE THE REST     PATTIANN236

SumthingSublime
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

That is disgusting! What in the right mind gave her that idea? Yuck! I have no idea why people even want to be famous especially for something like that. When she gets older I hope she realizes how dumb that was. I can't think of anything I have done to gain popularity except for just being nice to people. Being popular or known by all is not even close to the top of my priority list.

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I had heard about this and think its just crazy. Years from now this girl is going to realization how stupid this was. People who do this obviously lack impulsive control. I have no desire to have internet fame and can only hope I teach dd that its not worth acting stupid to get 15 minutes of fame served up with a lifetime of regret.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Gag!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larschick
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Yes my 13 year old sister showed me the video last week & I was about to puke. It was absolutely disgusting.
lkm091
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this
There's a link to The Huffington Post in that 2nd article that does have the video. I tried to watch it, but had to stop it before she did "the deed". I couldnt do it. Even from the 1st few seconds of it though, you can tell that she's so desperate for attention...

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

I couldnt watch it either. The link is to an article, but not to the video.

Quoting zetajen:

she eats a tampon? I am not going to watch that.

meliscool72
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I only watched it to the point of her putting it in her mouth I almost puked. This is so disgusting I can't believe this. Also, she should have known better to do something better with her life than this. However, I can say I am sorry she had to resort to suicide becuase of this, but she should have done something better with her time. I am not condoning the bullying or what not that she got, but she put that video up and I guess she was expecting positive responses and that is not a video you put up and expect support over. 

meliscool72
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM

She won't be getting older, unfortunatly she committed suicide because of the comments on the video

Quoting SumthingSublime:

That is disgusting! What in the right mind gave her that idea? Yuck! I have no idea why people even want to be famous especially for something like that. When she gets older I hope she realizes how dumb that was. I can't think of anything I have done to gain popularity except for just being nice to people. Being popular or known by all is not even close to the top of my priority list.

Misha1204
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Ew....what?! The world is full of crazies & sickos. This made my stomach turn!
michy04
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Yea I heard of her n did not see the video. But the one I did see (and I wish I hadn't) was the one of the girl having sex with her dog and putting it in her mouth. The worst thing I've ever seen. It was on face book fyi.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)