Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think bugs like flies and spiders feel pain when we kill them?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: When you kill a bug, do you think it feels pain?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 29

View Results

I smushed a spider today, and my son asked me if it hurt on the spider! What do you think? Does it hurt on the fly we swat or the spider we squish?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Replies (41-50):
jenna30
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Especially wasps are hard, it takes about three whaps before they go;)

Quoting delanna6two:

lol...as many times as it takes for us also:)

Quoting jenna30:

Yeah, it makes you think twice about killing them actually. At least I always whap them several times with thw fly swatter to be sure they die at once:) How many times do you smack them, haha?

Quoting delanna6two:

We kill them...but I just never really thought about the pain factor until now...

Quoting jenna30:

How do you handle creepy crawlies?

Quoting delanna6two:

I don't know...good question...

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Very true....we have problems in the Summer with them getting in sometimes and they are harder to kill.

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting delanna6two:

Quoting jenna30:

Yeah, it makes you think twice about killing them actually. At least I always whap them several times with thw fly swatter to be sure they die at once:) How many times do you smack them, haha?

Quoting delanna6two:

We kill them...but I just never really thought about the pain factor until now...

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting delanna6two:

jenna30
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Yeah, and if they sit on a window I dont want to smack them either because A: you cant hit that hard with the fly swatter on a window and B: I dont want to have bug guts on the screen:) So if on a window I try to usher them out:)

Quoting delanna6two:

Very true....we have problems in the Summer with them getting in sometimes and they are harder to kill.

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting delanna6two:

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting delanna6two:

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting delanna6two:

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Yes, it's good if you can catch them on the window and just let them out.....I try to wait till I get them on a wall and use a shoe...smack it down on them...put pressure on it and move the shoe back and forth until they are good and smashed....does not sound too good...lol...but that's one way that I kill them...

Quoting jenna30:

Yeah, and if they sit on a window I dont want to smack them either because A: you cant hit that hard with the fly swatter on a window and B: I dont want to have bug guts on the screen:) So if on a window I try to usher them out:)

Quoting delanna6two:

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting delanna6two:

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting delanna6two:

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting delanna6two:

jenna30
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Hope you dont have white walls, haha:)

Quoting delanna6two:

Yes, it's good if you can catch them on the window and just let them out.....I try to wait till I get them on a wall and use a shoe...smack it down on them...put pressure on it and move the shoe back and forth until they are good and smashed....does not sound too good...lol...but that's one way that I kill them...

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting delanna6two:

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting delanna6two:

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting delanna6two:

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting delanna6two:

jenna30
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:49 PM

You dont have a fly swatter?

Quoting delanna6two:

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting delanna6two:

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting delanna6two:

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting delanna6two:

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting delanna6two:

jenna30
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:40 PM

By the way, I always stop my kids from doing this! Cant tolerate that behaviour

Quoting Maks1mommy:

Have you ever ripped the leg off a bug? Or a wing, it panics, so I would assume that it feels pain.

jenna30
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:14 PM

60% believes the bugs feel pain!

jenna30
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:49 PM

;)

mitchiesgirl
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM
I studied Entomology initially as my major and this is the best I've ever read on this particular topic

http://insects.about.com/od/insects101/f/Do-Insects-Feel-Pain.htm
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)