Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi Ladies,

I have had terrible luck with oral birth control in the past. Mood swings, lethargy, depression, anger, violent outburts, weight fluctuation, etc. Hormones just aren't something of mine to mess with. lol. My husband and I have 3 children and we've been discussing birth control. We truly don't want anymore babies. I'm considering Paraguard because it's hormone free, it's not surgical, it's more effective than condoms (duh), and it can be (should it work out) long term. I'm just feeling...a little nervous. The only person I know that has had an IUD is my mom. She said she didn't really experience any pain, just some discomfort and cramping afterward but nothing more than period like cramps.

I know all of our bodies are different, and there are no guarantees - but I'm curious about other mom's input. I'd like to know about any experiences you've personally had with it - or friends that you have that have shared their experiences.

Thanks! 

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Replies (11-15):
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Yup, no problem. And definitely do more research. I hope you can find something that works for you.

Quoting gem_mommie:

Lol! Thank you. :)

I'm really nervous about this whole thing. I may need to really rethink this and talk about a vesectomy more seriously with my husband. So far I think only one woman, between both threads, has said that she is absolutely happy with having gotten a paraguard. Nearly every woman has said her periods became heavier and she cramped a lot more. :/

Thank you again, I appreciate the input you gave.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Iuds have strings that hang down into the cervix. They are there so that you can check each month to ensure it is in the right place...I'm sure you can guess how one does that lol. They are also there for easy removal when its time to get it taken out. Some guys can feel them during sex, but they are pretty far up there so it all depends on size and how active you are.

And yes, it is frustrating lol. I feel like I've wasted a bunch of money we don't have all for nothing.

Quoting gem_mommie:

I'm not getting a lot of positive feedback so far. This sounds so uncomfortable and frustrating. I'm sorry! I'm not familiar with the strings you're talking about; I thought the paraguard was supposed to be in a positive where you can't feel it and neither can your partner/spouse during intercourse. This may be a little intrusive, so I understand if you don't want to respond...how do you "check" it?

Quoting shadow_lark:

I'm getting mine removed on the 14th. My period hasn't been horrible heavy, but I get cramps all the time. Almost daily and end up taking ibuprofen 5 or so times a week so that I can get up and do what I need to. I can't ride my horse because it hurts so bad afterwards, and I get round ligament type pains at random. The strings have also disappeared, so I can't check it. I've only had it for three months and thus far its cost me almost ten times what a year of typical BC would.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:03 PM
My husband can't feel my strings by the way. They were cut short. I think it's worth it in my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shaybay218
by Shayla on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM

My sis Nancy just had hers taken out due to 30 lb weight gain...and horrible stomach cramps...good luck..

luckyladytaurus
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM

You may want to reconsider para guard I have had it for 3 yrs and I got pregnant with it in.

orngblsm
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I have had a Paraguard for three years now, and I love it.  I did have heavier periods for about a year, but now they are back to normal.  I had some mild cramping when it was put in, but otherwise didn't really have any other side effects. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)