Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

giving kids showers PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM
  • 6 Replies

My dh and I have been talking as to when he should stop helping to give our 7yr old (8 in april) dd showers. We both give our kids showers. My dd does try to soap herself and wash her hair but shes not good at it yet. Just wondering how you ladies handle showers with kids of the opposite sex

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
baquick
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM
DF stopped helping sd at about 6 as per her request, But that's when I stepped in to start helping SD. In theory one of us will help until she has a handle on it. If I'm not home, DF will do it, but sd doesn't really like it.
For ds, he is 2 so naturally he will continue to have help for a while. Either of us will help for until he is ready for himself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I have two boys ages 7 and 9. We only have a tub here. When they go to there dad's house they take showers all by themselves. I can see if a little girl had long hair how she may still need help at that age.

MamaMoopsie
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM

My DH got uncomfortable with it when our oldest was 6 (almost 7). Like your daughter she could soap and wash her body. She could even start washing her hair, she just needed help rinsing it out. So I took over the final check. Basically we let her take her shower and then she'd call me to come help her rinse her hair out and then I began just coming in to watch her rinse it and tell her if she was missing (she'd always miss that front part near the forehead). By the time she was 8 she was taking showers completely solo.

klbetts
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM
About the time they actually start taking showers. By that time they have a good grasp on how to clean themselves. I just have to keep a timer going otherwise our 2 oldest will take 45 minutes each to shower. Our water heater doesn't last that long.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
breebree04
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM

My ds was taking his own shower at about 6/7. My dd was also taking showers at this age, washing herself and I was only helping with her hair. If she took a bath she could do everything herself. She is 8 now and takes showers completely by herself.

HotMommaStout
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM

My 8 year old takes his own showers. My 6 year old, 7 next week takes baths, but needs help rinsing his hair sometimes because he tends to get soap in his eyes. My 5 year old needs help with rinsing his hair in the tub because he leaves shampoo in it, and I still help him wash his hiney, because he's not much of a wiper and I want to make sure it's squeaky clean :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)