Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What kind of religions are out there? I would like to find out as much as possible about different religions.

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 33 Replies

My SO and I were talking this morning about going to church.

We aren't married but plan on getting married one day. He is a Catholic but hasn't been to church since he was a boy.

I was a Catholic but then turned Christian but I haven't gone to church since my son was baptised when he was 9 months old, he's now 7 years old.

We are thinking about going to a baptist church or a presbyterian church but we don't know anything about them.

Are there any groups on this site that would help me find the answers i'm looking for?

I know that there are sites that aren't reliable and I don't know where to find reliable information about this.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jbradford
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM
I am Presbyterian. Most Presbyterians are very conservative. I have met a lot of former Catholics within the denomination. I heard a nun tell me once that the two were very similar. I haven't researched Catholisim though. The best way to research is to visit a church office during the week. They may have some pamphlets you could read.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM

BUMP

atheist here.

cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Im atheist and dh is agnostic. You could always contact a college and see if you could pick the brain of a theology professor
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DragonMother10
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Atheist here too, but I want to ask why won't your husband go to a Christian church? My parents were former Catholics that became Christians.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a Jehovah's witnesses. You can call any Kingdom hall near you and they would be glad to help you.
Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

There are groups here on CafeMom; some require an application. I am in one (maybe the only one without an application). As for churches, it will be best if you and your family go visit the local ones; just because two churches may say "Baptist", it does not mean that they're alike. Some churches are more formal, while some are laid-back. I am a Southern Baptist Christian and our church is somewhat laid-back and modern; we have the drums, a piano, keyboard, and electric guitar. The Holy Spirit can get caught at any time. Yet, last year, when we worshipped with another Baptist church, our First Lady caught the Holy Spirit and that pastor tried to make her be quiet; we were looking at him like what is wrong with praising the Lord. Yet different strokes....So out of my long reply, please go visit some churches and trust your gut instincts; if something does not sit right with you, run. Yet if you feel comfortable, stay and be ready to worship. Best wishes on your upcoming marriage!

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Catholics are Christians -- they are the original Christinas of whom Christ founded his church when he handed the keys to Peter, the first Pope.  I would recommend learning more about the Catholic church before you reject it. Because you were already Catholic, you are bound by Canon Law and its a very serious matter to reject it. I heard some good advice recently, to make sure you know what it is you are rejecting before you reject it. If you research it, I doubt you will want to leave the Catholic Church. We are the only ones that have the Eucharist which is a requirement for salvation according to the Bible. We are the church that Jesus founded and set up to never fail. We are the only ones with true authority that comes directly from the Holy Spirit. The Bible days that if you say you believe in Jesus but don't have truth, you are a liar. The Catholic Church is the only one with the fullness of truth. There is an amazing and deep intellectual tradition within the Catholic Church and anything you could ever want to know is explained in more detail than you can ever imagine but you have to seek the info. Read Theology of the Body -- it's one of the best gifts you could ever give your marriage. It will blow your mind wide open and explain everything about your very existence. My husband converted to Catholicism from Southern Baptist and there is not a day that goes by without him praising God for leading him to the Catholic church and how he is so glad he has the truth now. We are on fire for Christ because of Holy Mother Church an learning more and more everyday. It's so joyous!!!!!!

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:05 PM

You should also check out Fr Barron's series:

DixieFlower
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:16 PM

That was throwing me for a loop. I was wondering why people were saying they were Catholic then became Christian.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Catholics are Christians -- they are the original Christinas of whom Christ founded his church when he handed the keys to Peter, the first Pope.  I would recommend learning more about the Catholic church before you reject it. Because you were already Catholic, you are bound by Canon Law and its a very serious matter to reject it. I heard some good advice recently, to make sure you know what it is you are rejecting before you reject it. If you research it, I doubt you will want to leave the Catholic Church. We are the only ones that have the Eucharist which is a requirement for salvation according to the Bible. We are the church that Jesus founded and set up to never fail. We are the only ones with true authority that comes directly from the Holy Spirit. The Bible days that if you say you believe in Jesus but don't have truth, you are a liar. The Catholic Church is the only one with the fullness of truth. There is an amazing and deep intellectual tradition within the Catholic Church and anything you could ever want to know is explained in more detail than you can ever imagine but you have to seek the info. Read Theology of the Body -- it's one of the best gifts you could ever give your marriage. It will blow your mind wide open and explain everything about your very existence. My husband converted to Catholicism from Southern Baptist and there is not a day that goes by without him praising God for leading him to the Catholic church and how he is so glad he has the truth now. We are on fire for Christ because of Holy Mother Church an learning more and more everyday. It's so joyous!!!!!!

vinalex0581
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I don't believe in Jesus but I believe 100% in God and only God.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)