Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What kind of religions are out there? I would like to find out as much as possible about different religions.

Posted by   + Show Post

My SO and I were talking this morning about going to church.

We aren't married but plan on getting married one day. He is a Catholic but hasn't been to church since he was a boy.

I was a Catholic but then turned Christian but I haven't gone to church since my son was baptised when he was 9 months old, he's now 7 years old.

We are thinking about going to a baptist church or a presbyterian church but we don't know anything about them.

Are there any groups on this site that would help me find the answers i'm looking for?

I know that there are sites that aren't reliable and I don't know where to find reliable information about this.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Replies (11-20):
DixieFlower
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:23 PM

My mom was raised in a Catholic/ Protestant home with more emphsis on the Catholic teachings. When I was born her local Catholic church refused to baptise me because according to them I was a child out of wedlock since my parents while married were not married in the Catholic church. So she began to call various churches and the Lutheran church told her they would baptise me. Since then my mom and father became Lutheran. I was raised in the Lutheran church and am still Lutheran. My sister had considered becoming Catholic but after a few weeks in Catechism she decided that she did not believe the teachings and returned to the Lutheran Church.  My husband was Southern Baptist and after attending church with me he told me he'd finally found a church that had the same beliefs as him. 

I'd reccomend attending various churches in your community and seeing what you think. My mom had my sisters and I attend various churches as we were growing up. She always wanted us to make our own decision as to what we believed.

confusednsad38
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Latter Day Saint or Mormon here :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Both Baptist and Presbetryian are extremely strong believers in Jesus Chrust as savior. I'm confused that you say you became a Christian but that you don't believe in Jesus. The definition of Christian is the belief in Jesus. What makes you think that there is no Jesus?  Ther is factual proof of his existence. Where do you get the basis for the belief in God but not Jesus?  So you don't believe in the Bible?  You may want to research the Catholic belief in the Trinity which also explains life. How can you explain life without Jesus?

Quoting vinalex0581:

I don't believe in Jesus but I believe 100% in God and only God.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Catholics are Christians -- they are the original Christinas of whom Christ founded his church when he handed the keys to Peter, the first Pope.  I would recommend learning more about the Catholic church before you reject it. Because you were already Catholic, you are bound by Canon Law and its a very serious matter to reject it. I heard some good advice recently, to make sure you know what it is you are rejecting before you reject it. If you research it, I doubt you will want to leave the Catholic Church. We are the only ones that have the Eucharist which is a requirement for salvation according to the Bible. We are the church that Jesus founded and set up to never fail. We are the only ones with true authority that comes directly from the Holy Spirit. The Bible days that if you say you believe in Jesus but don't have truth, you are a liar. The Catholic Church is the only one with the fullness of truth. There is an amazing and deep intellectual tradition within the Catholic Church and anything you could ever want to know is explained in more detail than you can ever imagine but you have to seek the info. Read Theology of the Body -- it's one of the best gifts you could ever give your marriage. It will blow your mind wide open and explain everything about your very existence. My husband converted to Catholicism from Southern Baptist and there is not a day that goes by without him praising God for leading him to the Catholic church and how he is so glad he has the truth now. We are on fire for Christ because of Holy Mother Church an learning more and more everyday. It's so joyous!!!!!!

vinalex0581
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:27 PM

because back (10 years ago) when i became christian/catholic, i thought that i believed in Jesus.

but over the years.......i just know that i don't.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Both Baptist and Presbetryian are extremely strong believers in Jesus Chrust as savior. I'm confused that you say you became a Christian but that you don't believe in Jesus. The definition of Christian is the belief in Jesus. iChat makes you think that there is no Jesus?  Where do you get the basis for the belief in God but not Jesus?  So you don't believe in the Bible?  You may want to research the Catholic belief in the Trinity which also explains life. How can you explain life without Jesus?

Quoting vinalex0581:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Catholics are Christians -- they are the original Christinas of whom Christ founded his church when he handed the keys to Peter, the first Pope.  I would recommend learning more about the Catholic church before you reject it. Because you were already Catholic, you are bound by Canon Law and its a very serious matter to reject it. I heard some good advice recently, to make sure you know what it is you are rejecting before you reject it. If you research it, I doubt you will want to leave the Catholic Church. We are the only ones that have the Eucharist which is a requirement for salvation according to the Bible. We are the church that Jesus founded and set up to never fail. We are the only ones with true authority that comes directly from the Holy Spirit. The Bible days that if you say you believe in Jesus but don't have truth, you are a liar. The Catholic Church is the only one with the fullness of truth. There is an amazing and deep intellectual tradition within the Catholic Church and anything you could ever want to know is explained in more detail than you can ever imagine but you have to seek the info. Read Theology of the Body -- it's one of the best gifts you could ever give your marriage. It will blow your mind wide open and explain everything about your very existence. My husband converted to Catholicism from Southern Baptist and there is not a day that goes by without him praising God for leading him to the Catholic church and how he is so glad he has the truth now. We are on fire for Christ because of Holy Mother Church an learning more and more everyday. It's so joyous!!!!!!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:16 PM
I would suggest the both of you visiting a nearby Catholic parish and asking if there is a "Catholics Come Home" program or something similar. It may be that by gaining greater understanding you could return to the faith of your childhood.
preacherskid
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I was raised Southern Baptist, and still identify as "Baptist", but do not agree with all of the Southern Baptist Conventions doctrinal decisions, there are a few things that the SBC does that I disagree with.  I am a Christian, I believe that the Bible is the inspired and infallible word of God.  I believe that Jesus is God's Son, that He came to our level, lived a perfect sinless life, and died as the atoning sacrifice for my sins.  I believe that God has our lives planned from beginning to end before our conception, and I believe that Christians are predestined by God for a specific purpose.  I believe that once you are saved, once you are made a Christian by God, you never lose that and the Holy Spirit works to bend you to God's will.  If you have any questions for me about my journey, please feel free to pm me.  I would highly recommend two things: start reading the Bible as a family and with an open mind and heart, and start visiting churches in your area.  Ask questions while there- what are their core beliefs?  What is their Mission Statement?  Their doctrinal beliefs (the beliefs they derive from the Bible that should not change often)?  If it doesn't work for you, visit a different church.  Denomination is not so vitally important as how true to Biblical truths the church is.

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:36 PM

When you say that you believe in God but not Jesus, what God are you talking about?  If you believe in the Christian God but not Jesus, then I guess that would make you Jewish.  Might you be Jewish?  Otherwise, what god do you believe in?  Do you believe in a god like Zeus?

I personally don't agree with going around and finding a church that matches with your own beliefs.  I personally believe in finding the truth and then changing your beliefs to match the truth.  All that really matters is what is true.

Quoting vinalex0581:

because back (10 years ago) when i became christian/catholic, i thought that i believed in Jesus.

Bookwormy
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:11 AM
So you are not Christian then. Do you have a religion that you do follow?

Quoting vinalex0581:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Bookwormy
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Judaism & Islam require more than just accepting G-d/Allah. It sounds like she isn't any of these three but accepts G-d without a formal religious practice.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

When you say that you believe in God but not Jesus, what God are you talking about?  If you believe in the Christian God but not Jesus, then I guess that would make you Jewish.  Might you be Jewish?  Otherwise, what god do you believe in?  Do you believe in a god like Zeus?

I personally don't agree with going around and finding a church that matches with your own beliefs.  I personally believe in finding the truth and then changing your beliefs to match the truth.  All that really matters is what is true.

Quoting vinalex0581:

Bookwormy
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Lots of folks explain life without accepting Jesus as god or the son of G-d. Sure he was alive, but only Christians think he was god or the son of G-d & Muslims think he was a prophet. The rest of us don't & still think we explain just fine. Thanks though, LOL.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Both Baptist and Presbetryian are extremely strong believers in Jesus Chrust as savior. I'm confused that you say you became a Christian but that you don't believe in Jesus. The definition of Christian is the belief in Jesus. What makes you think that there is no Jesus?  Ther is factual proof of his existence. Where do you get the basis for the belief in God but not Jesus?  So you don't believe in the Bible?  You may want to research the Catholic belief in the Trinity which also explains life. How can you explain life without Jesus?

Quoting vinalex0581:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN