Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What kind of religions are out there? I would like to find out as much as possible about different religions.

Posted by   + Show Post

My SO and I were talking this morning about going to church.

We aren't married but plan on getting married one day. He is a Catholic but hasn't been to church since he was a boy.

I was a Catholic but then turned Christian but I haven't gone to church since my son was baptised when he was 9 months old, he's now 7 years old.

We are thinking about going to a baptist church or a presbyterian church but we don't know anything about them.

Are there any groups on this site that would help me find the answers i'm looking for?

I know that there are sites that aren't reliable and I don't know where to find reliable information about this.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Replies (21-30):
Bookwormy
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this
There are lots of religions out there, but I think you're really looking for Christian denominations. Each one thinks that they are the right one, not just Catholics, btw.

You might want to change your title to be more precise. I don't have the impression that you're interested in Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, etc, but I did originally, which is why I stopped by to chat!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Right, I understand that there are more requirements however it's a fair question to ask the OP if she believes in God in the Christian sense, but not Christ himself.  I assume she is looking for formal religious practice or she likely would not be seeking a church to attend.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Judaism & Islam require more than just accepting G-d/Allah. It sounds like she isn't any of these three but accepts G-d without a formal religious practice.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

When you say that you believe in God but not Jesus, what God are you talking about?  If you believe in the Christian God but not Jesus, then I guess that would make you Jewish.  Might you be Jewish?  Otherwise, what god do you believe in?  Do you believe in a god like Zeus?

I personally don't agree with going around and finding a church that matches with your own beliefs.  I personally believe in finding the truth and then changing your beliefs to match the truth.  All that really matters is what is true.

Quoting vinalex0581:

because back (10 years ago) when i became christian/catholic, i thought that i believed in Jesus.

but over the years.......i just know that i don't. 

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Can you point me to an explanation.  I have spent a very long time searching and never found any kind of explanation for life until I disocvered the deep intellectual writings on the Trinity within the Catholic church. None of it made any sense to me until then.  Why are we born man and woman? Why do we give birth?  Why are our children babies?  These things we take for granted because we are just so used to being but it's rather odd when you really ponder these things.  Why are we here and what are we supposed to accomplish?  What is next?  I could never make any sense out of any of that until the Trinity.   If you can explain it "just fine", by all means, please do!  What are you thanking me for?

Quoting Bookwormy:

Lots of folks explain life without accepting Jesus as god or the son of G-d. Sure he was alive, but only Christians think he was god or the son of G-d & Muslims think he was a prophet. The rest of us don't & still think we explain just fine. Thanks though, LOL.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Both Baptist and Presbetryian are extremely strong believers in Jesus Chrust as savior. I'm confused that you say you became a Christian but that you don't believe in Jesus. The definition of Christian is the belief in Jesus. What makes you think that there is no Jesus?  Ther is factual proof of his existence. Where do you get the basis for the belief in God but not Jesus?  So you don't believe in the Bible?  You may want to research the Catholic belief in the Trinity which also explains life. How can you explain life without Jesus?

Quoting vinalex0581:

I don't believe in Jesus but I believe 100% in God and only God.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Catholics are Christians -- they are the original Christinas of whom Christ founded his church when he handed the keys to Peter, the first Pope.  I would recommend learning more about the Catholic church before you reject it. Because you were already Catholic, you are bound by Canon Law and its a very serious matter to reject it. I heard some good advice recently, to make sure you know what it is you are rejecting before you reject it. If you research it, I doubt you will want to leave the Catholic Church. We are the only ones that have the Eucharist which is a requirement for salvation according to the Bible. We are the church that Jesus founded and set up to never fail. We are the only ones with true authority that comes directly from the Holy Spirit. The Bible days that if you say you believe in Jesus but don't have truth, you are a liar. The Catholic Church is the only one with the fullness of truth. There is an amazing and deep intellectual tradition within the Catholic Church and anything you could ever want to know is explained in more detail than you can ever imagine but you have to seek the info. Read Theology of the Body -- it's one of the best gifts you could ever give your marriage. It will blow your mind wide open and explain everything about your very existence. My husband converted to Catholicism from Southern Baptist and there is not a day that goes by without him praising God for leading him to the Catholic church and how he is so glad he has the truth now. We are on fire for Christ because of Holy Mother Church an learning more and more everyday. It's so joyous!!!!!!

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I would contact the churchs themselves. Ask them a bunch of questions. Or ask them one question - to tell you what their religion is about. Tell them you are questioning what religion is right for you and have them tell you everything they can. Or set up a date and time to go to that church and sit down with the pastor/whatever the title and discuss these things with them. It's the best way I know of to get reliable information. 

No, I'm more pagan/shamanic in my religion.  

wedding countdown

amirah827
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Good Morning and early Congrats on your engagement. I encourage you and your significant other to locate a congregation that is Biblical rather than model what background you two came from. I admire you for searching but be mindful there are a lot of non-biblical churches/religions that mix man and God instead of strictly Christ. When searching pray that you find a congregation that scripturally follows the Word. Saved through Christ bybrepentence and baptism the same and only way (Acts 2) and follow the New Testaments biblical structure of worship. May God Bless you and your fiancer on your spiritual journey.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Hope things work out and you find a church....

saltycoqui
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I suggest getting books that compare different religions. 

NaturalezaLover
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Do you see how contradictory is your comment? You want to be christian but don't believe in Christ???... Jesus  IS  Christ. Any Christian church believes and follows Jesus Christ.

Just going to a church service, you won't learn what that church is about.

- Why do you think that another protestant church (that is what you mean when you refer to any christian church that is not Catholic) will fill your necessity?

- What are you looking for? What kind of advice you need?

If I may, I'd say: Don't let the appearance confuse you. 

A temple is not a church. A pastor or a priest is a human being, you will find good ones and bad ones. You may or may not like the rituals of a ceremony, but rituals don't make a religion.  

I don't know if you understand what I'm trying to say. A religion is something very serious, is not something you choose like a dress... "let's see which one I pick, which one I like the most"... This is something spiritual. I would suggest you to learn more about the Church you already belonge to.

Quoting vinalex0581:

I don't believe in Jesus but I believe 100% in God and only God.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Catholics are Christians -- they are the original Christinas of whom Christ founded his church when he handed the keys to Peter, the first Pope.  I would recommend learning more about the Catholic church before you reject it. Because you were already Catholic, you are bound by Canon Law and its a very serious matter to reject it. I heard some good advice recently, to make sure you know what it is you are rejecting before you reject it. If you research it, I doubt you will want to leave the Catholic Church. We are the only ones that have the Eucharist which is a requirement for salvation according to the Bible. We are the church that Jesus founded and set up to never fail. We are the only ones with true authority that comes directly from the Holy Spirit. The Bible days that if you say you believe in Jesus but don't have truth, you are a liar. The Catholic Church is the only one with the fullness of truth. There is an amazing and deep intellectual tradition within the Catholic Church and anything you could ever want to know is explained in more detail than you can ever imagine but you have to seek the info. Read Theology of the Body -- it's one of the best gifts you could ever give your marriage. It will blow your mind wide open and explain everything about your very existence. My husband converted to Catholicism from Southern Baptist and there is not a day that goes by without him praising God for leading him to the Catholic church and how he is so glad he has the truth now. We are on fire for Christ because of Holy Mother Church an learning more and more everyday. It's so joyous!!!!!!

Pammi86
by Pamela on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I would visit different churches.

annasmom1234
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Love it!  I am a  Southern Baptist too :)

Quoting Mbpeaceful12:

There are groups here on CafeMom; some require an application. I am in one (maybe the only one without an application). As for churches, it will be best if you and your family go visit the local ones; just because two churches may say "Baptist", it does not mean that they're alike. Some churches are more formal, while some are laid-back. I am a Southern Baptist Christian and our church is somewhat laid-back and modern; we have the drums, a piano, keyboard, and electric guitar. The Holy Spirit can get caught at any time. Yet, last year, when we worshipped with another Baptist church, our First Lady caught the Holy Spirit and that pastor tried to make her be quiet; we were looking at him like what is wrong with praising the Lord. Yet different strokes....So out of my long reply, please go visit some churches and trust your gut instincts; if something does not sit right with you, run. Yet if you feel comfortable, stay and be ready to worship. Best wishes on your upcoming marriage!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN