Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Starting solids

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM
  • 12 Replies

Ok so my babies 18 weeks and has started missing 2/3 bottles everyday And is watching everything I eat, I am thinking about starting her on food?

What age did you start your little ones on food?

What did you start them on?

How was they?

Did they sleep better?

Thanks in advance

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM

My dd was a year old before I started solids. Don't let her miss bottles.

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM

She is too young for solid food.  Her gut is still open which would allow particles to pass directly into her blood stream.  Additionally, she doesn't yet produce the enzymes needed to digest carbohydrates.  

I startetd at 6 months with mine.

I started with different things with each, things like bananas and avacados.

They did ok.

Sleep was the same.

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Quoting goddess99:

My dd was a year old before I started solids. Don't let her miss bottles.

^I agree.  Formula and/or breastmilk is very important for brain development.  Solid food you give her at this age won't have the fat needed for proper brain development.

Mommyof1014
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Don't skip bottles! Her bottles are her only form of food supply for now! I believe she is old enough to start solids... But what I tell most moms is that it is a choice of your own... if you are ready and comfortable and you believe she is ready then by all means it won't hurt to try! Start out with giving her some rice cereal... from there then add some fruit to the cereal then just try the fruit by itself and then add vegetables and stuff! The hardest part is going to get her to eat off a spoon! It can be frustrating at first! But she will get the hang of it! If you're ready then go for it! It will not hurt her!

MrsJoe125
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I started them when they wanted to nurse or wanted a bottle every hour or when they showed great interest, like watching intently and working their mouths like they were trying to copy what I was doing with the food.

I made a thin mixture of rice cereal with either breast milk or formula (which ever they were taking usually.

They were fine.  If they weren't really ready, they pushed it out of their mouth with their tongue (there's a name for that reflex, it keeps a baby who isn't ready for solids from choking on anything that gets in their mouth.)  If they were ready, they ate it.  I started out giving it to them once a day and increased from there as they seemed to be ready for more meals and/or different foods.  One of them wouldn't eat it off the spoon, so I had to make the rice cereal thick enough for them to eat it by licking it off their fingers.

It didn't make a difference.  (doctors will tell you that too, btw)
Oh, doctors will also tell you not to start solids until they're three months old.

DixieFlower
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM

We do baby led solids. My oldest was 6 almost 7 months old and my youngest was 8 almost 9 months old. They started on soft foods at first. The first thing I gave them was slices of avocado. They did okay with it but most of their diet was still formula. No they didn't sleep better.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I wouldn't start before 6 months. Then. a fruit like bananas is good to start with. Food doesn't help them sleep better.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
breebree04
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I started giving both of my kids cereal at one month. Just alittle bit at bed time for my ds and my dd had it in every bottle due to acid reflux so it definately wont hurt her if shes ready but definately start off slow like alittle bit of rice cereal and if she does good on that then add in alittle fruit. and it definately helped with my kids sleeping. At one month when I started giving them cereal they started sleeping through the night. They get fuller and can go longer between feedings but you do still need to give her formula or breast milk with whatever food you give her. She should still be drinking her normal amounts

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I started mine between 4-6 mos....We mostly used rice cereal and applesauce (Gerber) and sometimes mixed it with the powdered rice cereal.

Sstone12
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Same for me, we started mine at 5 motnhs with rice cereal, and apple sauce. We are now adding fruits and some veggies to oatmeal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)