Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was just curious if any moms out there had/have a phobia of something? Mine is Emetophobia. It is a fear of vomit. I am okay with spit up. But when it comes to stomach bugs and actual throw up I freak out. At one point in my life I told myself i would never have kids because of the fear and i didnt want to put them through my phobia. It controls my everyday life and I have tried to get help but honestly I have been looked at as rediculous. I dont know how to get rid of it. Does anyone other moms have the same phobia? Or a different phobia? How do you handle it?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I have a fear of flying.

my4loves4
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:44 AM

mines paper. i dont know why but i cant handle the feel of it. It made it so hard to get through school because noone understood and the teachers just thought is was a excuse but it makes me physically ill to even think about paper touching my skin! I admit its weird, but i cant help it lol. My younger brother has the same problem.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM
I am afraid of water. No swimming for me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
annasmom1234
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I think I have this too!  I just cannot stand throwing up, or even someone acting like they are going to throw up...just the sound alone.  SHUDDER......

I'll admit, I don't handle it very well at all.  If you vomit--I will vomit.  The first time my dd threw up on me, I thought I would die!

ImNotKarl
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I have trypanophobia, or the extreme fear of hypodermic needles. I have panic attacks and can't even look at pictures of them. I've sought counselling and it really didn't help me. I've been looked at like I was carzy, I've been told to buck up and act like a grown woman, I've been kicked out of doctors' offices, and I've been accused of faking it. When I'm not pregnant, I take a vallium before I get any injections or blood draws. When I'm pregnant, as I am now, I have to have at least a week to prepare and someone I trust at my appointment with me to keep me calm and focused on something else so I don't have an anxiety attack and FREAK OUT. 

My midwife only draws blood twice unless there's medical need to do more tests. Part of the initial reason I chose midwifery and natural birth was to avoid doctors and needles. I'd rather deal with even the worst pain than having a needle in my arm. I've pulled my own tooth so the dentist wouldn't numb me. My last midwife appointment I was crying so hard and my best friend was holding both of my hands and trying to keep me calm, and my midwife felt SOOOO BAD she kept apologizing. It's awful.

I'm usually pretty humiliated by it and try to give people warning about my reaction in advance because usually people don't know how to react. Doctors are the worst about it because they are so pressed for time and think I'm just being stupid. I seriously can't help it. The logical part of my brain shuts down and I panic. I hate it so much. I can't even be in the room when my son gets shots, which makes me feel like a bad mom.

When I tell people I have trypanophobia and explain what it is, I always hear, "I don't like needles either." It's so much worse than that. Fear I can live with. Discomfort I can handle. Dislike is nothing. This is gut-wrenching panic, completely primal and uncontrolable, and at times I have been considered a danger to myself and others because my fear reaction causes me to fight until I can run away if I don't have enough time to prepare. I have passed out. I have hit people. It makes me throw up and get dizzy and my heart pounds and I sweat and cry and nothing makes it easier.

Phobias suck ass.

DragonMother10
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I grew out of it.

Quoting Jessica0930:

Did you grow out of the phobia? Or did you have to work through it?

Quoting DragonMother10:

When I was a little girl, I used to be terrified of balloons, mostly because I didn't like the popping sound, and also fireworks. When I was a baby, my brother popped a giant balloon and it ended up traumatizing me. They don't bother me anymore, but sometimes the pop makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Jessica0930
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM

that sounds alot like me.

Quoting annasmom1234:

I think I have this too!  I just cannot stand throwing up, or even someone acting like they are going to throw up...just the sound alone.  SHUDDER......

I'll admit, I don't handle it very well at all.  If you vomit--I will vomit.  The first time my dd threw up on me, I thought I would die!

SaraLovesEli29
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM
I have a phobia of spiders. Bad. I hate them.
Mommyof1014
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I have a couple... I am extremely terrified of spiders.... I will not kill them I'm so scared of them! If I'm home alone and see a spider I will completely avoid the room that it's in until someone gets home to kill it for me... I will periodically go back during the day to see if it's still there! The other that I have is heights! It's not a terrible fear of heights! I will ride roller coasters and stuff but when it comes to free falling or not being strapped in or something I will not do it! Like I will not bungee jump I can not ride drop zone or stand on a bride or if you know what kings Island is I can't go up in the eifel tower... I'm terrified of falling! I have really bad panic attacks!

Jessica0930
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM

That is literally my exact reaction when someone is throwing up. I literally become histarical. I scream and cry and just straight up panic. Unless you have a phobia you can't understand what it is like to have that fear constantly nagging in the back of your head. There was one time, my brother was getting sick, I ran to the very opposite end of the house and tried to lock myself in a room. When he was done my mom wanted to show me that he was okay. But instead she literally had to grab my legs and drag me as I screamed and kicked her and was grabbing on to anything I could almost breaking things. She had good intentions cause I had been dealing with this phobia for so long she wanted to help and show me everything was okay. But I think it made it worse for me. You can't just fight your fear like that. You have to be eased into it. I will run anywhere but to get away from it. I have left home for a couple weeks a couple times till it was clear of the house. My parents knew where I was, they let me do it cause they had tried to help me and the only thing that would make me better was getting away. I am so sorry you have to face your phobia like that. Your stronger then I am cause I couldnt do that. My mom has the same thing you do. When she knows she has to get blood drawn or a shot, as soon as she walks into the drs office she passes out. and it never fails she passes out when she is getting it done as well. She did natural birth too cause she couldnt handle handle the needles. I feel for you and again I am so sorry you have to deal with that.

Quoting ImNotKarl:

I have trypanophobia, or the extreme fear of hypodermic needles. I have panic attacks and can't even look at pictures of them. I've sought counselling and it really didn't help me. I've been looked at like I was carzy, I've been told to buck up and act like a grown woman, I've been kicked out of doctors' offices, and I've been accused of faking it. When I'm not pregnant, I take a vallium before I get any injections or blood draws. When I'm pregnant, as I am now, I have to have at least a week to prepare and someone I trust at my appointment with me to keep me calm and focused on something else so I don't have an anxiety attack and FREAK OUT. 

My midwife only draws blood twice unless there's medical need to do more tests. Part of the initial reason I chose midwifery and natural birth was to avoid doctors and needles. I'd rather deal with even the worst pain than having a needle in my arm. I've pulled my own tooth so the dentist wouldn't numb me. My last midwife appointment I was crying so hard and my best friend was holding both of my hands and trying to keep me calm, and my midwife felt SOOOO BAD she kept apologizing. It's awful.

I'm usually pretty humiliated by it and try to give people warning about my reaction in advance because usually people don't know how to react. Doctors are the worst about it because they are so pressed for time and think I'm just being stupid. I seriously can't help it. The logical part of my brain shuts down and I panic. I hate it so much. I can't even be in the room when my son gets shots, which makes me feel like a bad mom.

When I tell people I have trypanophobia and explain what it is, I always hear, "I don't like needles either." It's so much worse than that. Fear I can live with. Discomfort I can handle. Dislike is nothing. This is gut-wrenching panic, completely primal and uncontrolable, and at times I have been considered a danger to myself and others because my fear reaction causes me to fight until I can run away if I don't have enough time to prepare. I have passed out. I have hit people. It makes me throw up and get dizzy and my heart pounds and I sweat and cry and nothing makes it easier.

Phobias suck ass.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)