Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break Time! Is There A Right Way To Sing The National Anthem?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM
  • 66 Replies

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Coffee Break!

Alicia Keys has taken heat over her rendition of the Nation Anthem
                  she performed at the Super Bowl this past Sunday.
                    Critics have stated that artists should stop "trying to
                      make it their own" and sing it as it was intended.

1. Do you agree or disagree that the National Anthem should be sung as it was intended?
  2. If an artist is asked to perform, do you think they should be allowed creative license when performing something as iconic as the National Anthem?
  3. Does it matter to you?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM

It doesn't really matter to me but that was too slow. She does have a nice voice though.

I would love a raspberry hot chocolate. Thank you =)

burgandymonroe
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM

sorry I am so late, but I will definitely have the usual "Starbucks, triple shot espresso in dark coffee. though I did not see her rendition of the national anthem, and I mostly feel as though as long as it sounds good I do feel a lot of the time tweaking it and making it more soulful makes it better. I am aware that sometimes people can over do it:)

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:06 AM

1. yes

2. yes

3. not a whole lot

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree. I dont mind a little bit of personality or tweek to it , but it this one was so so slow.

Quoting goddess99:

It doesn't really matter to me but that was too slow. She does have a nice voice though.

I would love a raspberry hot chocolate. Thank you =)

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Quoting burgandymonroe:

sorry I am so late, but I will definitely have the usual "Starbucks, triple shot espresso in dark coffee. though I did not see her rendition of the national anthem, and I mostly feel as though as long as it sounds good I do feel a lot of the time tweaking it and making it more soulful makes it better. I am aware that sometimes people can over do it:)

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I think its fine to have a creative license to the point of how you sing it, but I don't think its right to change the words and try to make it your own at a national event, because its not your own. I also don't think its right to be seated when singing it. 

gstaley
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM
2 moms liked this

1. I think that it should be sung the way it was intended

2. No

3. Yes because it was written to be sang a certain way that's way it should be sang and if an artist is asked to sing it,  they should be respectful enough to sing the way it was intended or declined the offer to sing.

Ultra_
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I think they can all do whatever they want. When I sing it, I prefer a capella and I don't add words or do too many runs. I DO a little bit to make it not so bland, but not go crazy! I think I do a decent job.

Holland04
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it should be sang the way it was written. The way Alicia Keys sang was beautiful but waaaaaaaaaaaay too slow. Apparently there were bets in Vegas as to how long her rendition of the anthem would last. 

No, I don't think artist should change it up. 

Mmmm carmel latte please. 

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Agreed ill take a chai latte

Quoting gstaley:

1. I think that it should be sung the way it was intended

2. No

3. Yes because it was written to be sang a certain way that's way it should be sang and if an artist is asked to sing it,  they should be respectful enough to sing the way it was intended or declined the offer to sing.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)