Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break Time! Is There A Right Way To Sing The National Anthem?

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Coffee Break!

Alicia Keys has taken heat over her rendition of the Nation Anthem
                  she performed at the Super Bowl this past Sunday.
                    Critics have stated that artists should stop "trying to
                      make it their own" and sing it as it was intended.

1. Do you agree or disagree that the National Anthem should be sung as it was intended?
  2. If an artist is asked to perform, do you think they should be allowed creative license when performing something as iconic as the National Anthem?
  3. Does it matter to you?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Replies (61-66):
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Mocha cappaccino coming right up!

Quoting ForeverInLove:

Quoting ForeverInLove:

I do not like when they change it to almsot unrecognizable, or add in a bunch of other crap, or attempt to make it sound like scat. It's the National Anthem. You wouldn't color our flag a bunch of different colors, so why are you making the National Anthem colorful? You can make it your own without making it unrecognizable, or making it sound like something that came from a rap group.

Ok with this said, I'm listening to her version right now.

I'm not impressed. She should have started out in a lower key, and not tried to scream/screech it out in the higher parts with the more robust sound. You can sing forte, without needing to try to yell. 

It wasn't bad.... but it wasn't that great either.

A mocha cappuccino sounds good too :)

charity62
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM

i like they should be able to make it fit their voice scale

AA2.0
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I think it was too slow, I didn't like the piano accompaniment, and I think it's inappropriate to be seated while performing it, just as it is considered inappropriate/disrespectful to be seated while it is performed/played.

1. Agree

2. Within reason. Don't go stupid with the horrible, screechy high notes and whatnot.

3. Yes. It was written a certain way for a reason. There is nothing more annoying to me than the butchering of our national anthem. (Not that Alicia Keys in particular butchered it, but I've heard some pretty terrible renditions.) Did anyone see American Idol last week, the last round of auditions? This girl screeched/screamed the national anthem. I was appalled. Somehow she made it through to Hollywood. Don't ask me why. It was terrible, IMO.

Roo1234
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I just wonder what ever happened to the idea that it wasn't supposed to be performed, but it was meant to be sung by everyone.

Hoolikay
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Yum-o!!! Thank you!!!

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Mocha frappe no whip!

Quoting Hoolikay:

I think there needs to be a balance. I don't mind at all when artists play around with the melody and make it their own, but it bothers me when it is completely different or there are just way too many runs or add libbing. It's entirely possible to get way over the top with it. I think Alicia Keys' version was fine. I don't think there was that much revamping done.

As a singer myself, I can most certainly appreciate individual interpretation and expression in music, but there are so many times when less is more. A little bit extra is ok, but I think for this song, the artist needs to stick to the original melody for the most part.

ETA: I don't drink hot coffee so I'll take a mocha frappe (no whipped cream). Thank you!

mom2myfourbabys
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Hi, 

I think they should be able to sing in their own creative way, that is why they are artists.. as long as they do not change the words it works. She has a beautiful voice.

I love Double French Vanilla Cappuccino..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN