Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Lactose? ?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:51 PM
  • 8 Replies
Do any of the moms here deal with children that have lactose issues? If so any pointers would be great. I was a pediatric nurse for 8 + years and dealt with it often, when it is your own it's different. We are doing a 2 week study now by eliminating all dairy from her diet. I bought Silk milk today, will go to Whole Foods to get her dairy free cheese and a few other foods to try.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Ravishing_dame
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Diary in my opinion, isn't something that needs to be given to children in high amounts anyways.  It's high in fat, sugar and animal proteins.  It's not really a lost cause that you are giving her silk milk etc.  There are many alternatives out there that I use (yes I am an organic freak) and my children seem ok with it, though they have been use to it for years.  It may end up being a no big deal for you. 

babynurse454
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM
We only drink 1% milk and we eat light yogurt, and cheese, I really watch what we all eat. So.much has dairy in it, it could be gluten this is just a 2 week testing to see if it is dairy.

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

Diary in my opinion, isn't something that needs to be given to children in high amounts anyways.  It's high in fat, sugar and animal proteins.  It's not really a lost cause that you are giving her silk milk etc.  There are many alternatives out there that I use (yes I am an organic freak) and my children seem ok with it, though they have been use to it for years.  It may end up being a no big deal for you. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM

bump

kewimom
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:58 PM

One of my boys is lactose intolerant.  Soy milk, I make soy ice cream for him.  For cheese, yogurt he takes a lactose pil.  I know the pill doesn't work well for some people.  Once we discovered that was he issue.  He lost about 5 lbs and most of his stomach issues were gone.

rebeccasmly
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM
My youngest is lactose intolerant. It was a huge adjustment to our family. Last year, one of my other children was diagnosed celiacs. Another huge adjustment. I now make nearly everything from scratch. Most processed foods have both gluten and lactose. Thank goodness we never ate much of the processed foods so it wasn't too hard on that aspect. We raise dairy goats now and my son can tolerate that milk very well.

Good luck on finding what is wrong with your child. Its hard seeing our babies feeling yucky all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM

My youngest is lactose intolerant. However, he does well with yogurt and cheeses. As for milk when he wants a glass I either get him coconut milk, almond milk, or hemp milk.

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this

All of my sons are lactose intolerant but then so is 75% of the world's population.  Most people are and it typically comes with age.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM
I can't drink milk but I can eat yogurt, cheese, etc..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)