Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Sons father asking to claim him on taxes

Posted by   + Show Post
So my sons father called me yesterday to ask me if he could claim my son for taxes this year. My son is living with me btw...he gave me some story about him getting life insurance through his job and said that if he claimed him that they would give him more back..to me this sounds very fishy. He said he would give me the money for it but I do not trust him..also he cannot claim him because my son lives with me. I think he is just trying to fool me because if he wanted to get more on the life Insurance all he has to do is pay more right?
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Replies (21-30):
DixieFlower
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Why is that? CS and financially is just a portion of what it costs to raise a child so why should he get the benefit of claiming the child if he's not providing most of the support.

Quoting MichelleSw:

Does he pay Child Support & help financially? If so, he should claim him. Otherwise, no. JMO

ameraznkimko
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Sorry im not too familiar with all the abbreviations..but at least now I know what JMO means:)

Quoting MichelleSw:

Quoting ameraznkimko:

Why would he claim him even if he was paying child support? My son lives with me 100% of the time except on the weekends sometimes he will see his father..I checked with the IRS already and it's the parent that the child lives with that gets to claim them

Quoting MichelleSw:

Does he pay Child Support & help financially? If so, he should claim him. Otherwise, no. JMO

I said MY OPINION. YAy. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ameraznkimko
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Why don't you call them and report him?

Quoting Krystle21:

Well this has been going on for years I would think he would've gotten in trouble by now but I guess not. This seems to be a common issue so I guess the IRS doesn't take it that seriously. They don't give me any info about it

Quoting ameraznkimko:

Can't you get him in trouble for that?

Quoting Krystle21:

At least he asked, my kids father claims without asking or having the right to.

Krystle21
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:12 PM
I have they won't give me any info. This year I filed a fraud form who knows if I'll hear back about that

Quoting ameraznkimko:

Quoting Krystle21:

Well this has been going on for years I would think he would've gotten in trouble by now but I guess not. This seems to be a common issue so I guess the IRS doesn't take it that seriously. They don't give me any info about it

Quoting ameraznkimko:

Quoting Krystle21:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twynns
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this
He can't legally claim him unless he pays for over half of your son's living costs. I just had this conversation with my tax lady yesterday. Also, insurance and taxes have nothing to do with each other...
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MichelleSw:

Paying child support does not equal half of the child's expenses. 

The person that the child lives with the majority of the time gets to claim the child unless otherwise stated in either a divorce or a child custody agreement. 

wedding countdown

ameraznkimko
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Well I wish you luck and I hope that everything gets figured out

Quoting Krystle21:

I have they won't give me any info. This year I filed a fraud form who knows if I'll hear back about that

Quoting ameraznkimko:

Quoting Krystle21:

Quoting ameraznkimko:

Quoting Krystle21:

ameraznkimko
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Thank you that what I said..I don't know where he comes up with half the things he tries to tell me

Quoting twynns:

He can't legally claim him unless he pays for over half of your son's living costs. I just had this conversation with my tax lady yesterday. Also, insurance and taxes have nothing to do with each other...
pristine729
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Claiming your son will get him back some extra money, but not alot more. He can't claim the eitc like you can because your son lives with you
pristine729
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Yes he can. He can't claim the child tax credit

Quoting twynns:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN