Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Ear piercings for babies/toddlers?

Posted by   + Show Post

Just curious... I have noticed that almost everyone I know pierces their little girls ears when they are an infant. And I have seen quite a few toddler boys with ear piercings as well. 

Did you pierce your childs ears as a baby/toddler? Why?

If you didn't pierce your childs ears, why not? And do you plan on letting them chose to pierce them when they are older? Do you have an age in mind that you feel they would be able to make that choice?

Sarah: Mommy to 2 little monsters. ♥ Mom to Mom Group Mod.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Ouch! You would think it would hurt enough so that kids wouldnt keep doing it.

Quoting goddess99:

I did when Z was a toddler and when she would go to bed she would mess with them so now the holes are stretched out. You can't see it now, but you could years ago, so now she can't wear earrings. Just clip ons.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Do her piercings still look ok now as an adult? Mine have now ended up crooked. I think my ears must have grown funny or something lol

Quoting Janet:

I had my daughters ears pierced before she turned one years old. She didn't mess them and she did fine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I think that 13 seems like a good age for ears. My mom let me get my belly button pierced at that age and I was able to understand and care for it myself. However I sort of wish I hadnt done it now lol. But ears are a bit different. My SO and I plan to let our daughter choose whether she wants them or not when shes older. Just haven't decided at what age. 13 has a good ring to it though. :)

Quoting annasmom1234:

No, we didn't get my dd's ears pierced.  In fact, she just got them pierced a few months ago when she turned 13.  I just feel like the child should be old enough to be be responsible for taking care of cleaning, turning, etc. the earrings when they are put in.  I had too much other stuff to worry about when she was an infant/toddler to have an extra job.  When dd turned 13, we made a fun day of it, and had a blast!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM

You would think but her threshold for pain is pretty high.

Quoting splatz:

Ouch! You would think it would hurt enough so that kids wouldnt keep doing it.

Quoting goddess99:

I did when Z was a toddler and when she would go to bed she would mess with them so now the holes are stretched out. You can't see it now, but you could years ago, so now she can't wear earrings. Just clip ons.

vrbtnseele
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM
My daughter got hers at 3 months. She loves them. She likes being like auntie who is three years older than her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redbutterfly666
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Since I only have a boy no we didnt pierce his ears but if he wants to at any time in the future ill take him to get them done
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM
I agree. That is something they will have to live with for life and I rather my children choose for themselves. My ex husband wanted to get our sons ear pierced when he was 3. And he was just going to do it during visitation since I said no. Thankful that he pulled his head out of his butt lol

Quoting LOVE_mygirls58:

Nope I refuse to until they ask me they want them done.  I just don't believe in putting holes in your children unless they want them done. 

My oldest actually thanked me lol she is 7 and still is not ready she said maybe when she is 10 =)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM
I'd wait till it was something they wanted which makes me a but if a hypocrite since both my boys were circumsized at birth. But oh well!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM
How old is she now? Did you have any problems with them when they were done?

Quoting vrbtnseele:

My daughter got hers at 3 months. She loves them. She likes being like auntie who is three years older than her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Haha... I sort of wondered if this would pop into the debate!

Quoting AleaKat:

I'd wait till it was something they wanted which makes me a but if a hypocrite since both my boys were circumsized at birth. But oh well!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN