Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ear piercings for babies/toddlers?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM
  • 39 Replies

Just curious... I have noticed that almost everyone I know pierces their little girls ears when they are an infant. And I have seen quite a few toddler boys with ear piercings as well. 

Did you pierce your childs ears as a baby/toddler? Why?

If you didn't pierce your childs ears, why not? And do you plan on letting them chose to pierce them when they are older? Do you have an age in mind that you feel they would be able to make that choice?

Sarah: Mommy to 2 little monsters. ♥ Mom to Mom Group Mod.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KJH78
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM

We did not pierce my daughter's ears and she will be three at the end of March. My husband initally felt as though she should be old enough to decide to get them pierced. Although about a year ago he indicated he was okay if we did it, but I thought at 2 she would be inclinded to play with them and such. So we're waiting until she is old enough to understand to leave them alone, but by waiting she will have to want them since she will understand. However, both of my nieces had their ears done as an infant!

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I did when Z was a toddler and when she would go to bed she would mess with them so now the holes are stretched out. You can't see it now, but you could years ago, so now she can't wear earrings. Just clip ons.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I had my daughters ears pierced before she turned one years old. She didn't mess them and she did fine.

annasmom1234
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM
4 moms liked this

No, we didn't get my dd's ears pierced.  In fact, she just got them pierced a few months ago when she turned 13.  I just feel like the child should be old enough to be be responsible for taking care of cleaning, turning, etc. the earrings when they are put in.  I had too much other stuff to worry about when she was an infant/toddler to have an extra job.  When dd turned 13, we made a fun day of it, and had a blast!

LOVE_mygirls58
by New Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Nope I refuse to until they ask me they want them done.  I just don't believe in putting holes in your children unless they want them done. 

My oldest actually thanked me lol she is 7 and still is not ready she said maybe when she is 10 =)

KZuz
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I waited a long time to have a girl, so I thought I'd get her ears pierced right away but I never did. Now that she's almost 2, I need to wait until her twin brother won't rip them out!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aamy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM
We did DDs at 4m old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I have teen girls now and they want their ears pierced.  I wish I had done them when they were little.

poma111985
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I was thinking about getting my daughters pierced when she was an infant, but my husband said he didnt think it was a good idea and we should wait until she is old enough to understand and make the decision to get them done and take care of them herself. Im glad we decided not to because she doesnt even like to wear clip ons. When she is ready to make that decision on her own and be able to take care of them, Ill be happy to take her :)

splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM
All of my nieces had theirs done as soon as they were old enough. I think its 3 months? That just seems so little. I agree that at 2 would probably be a bad time tp try. My toddler never leaves anything alone and she surely wouldn't leave something on her own body alone lol.

Quoting KJH78:

We did not pierce my daughter's ears and she will be three at the end of March. My husband initally felt as though she should be old enough to decide to get them pierced. Although about a year ago he indicated he was okay if we did it, but I thought at 2 she would be inclinded to play with them and such. So we're waiting until she is old enough to understand to leave them alone, but by waiting she will have to want them since she will understand. However, both of my nieces had their ears done as an infant!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)