Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My one year old keeps waking up in the middle of the night to play

Posted by   + Show Post

with his toys. Im not sure what to do at this point bc he is very cranky throughout the day and just wont listen to a thing i say. What do i do? He has a box of toys, should i put the box in my bedroom while he sleeps? Either way its not going to prevente him from getting up in the middle of the night bc sometimes he goes and turns the tv on. Yes, he knows how to turn the t.v on lol. He is almost two. I caught him last night and he had all his blankets off the bed and pillows, idk know what he was even doing. He doesnt cry when he gets up like this either, he just goes about and does his own thing. Im worryed bc what if he trys to go outside one night???

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
Venae
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Is baby not in a crib?  If he's playing w/his own toys in his room, what's the harm unless he's waking everyone up in the house?  

Is the t.v. in his room?  If so, get it out!  If not,  put up a gate across his door so he can't get to things in the house.  

Deadbolt all outside doors at the top of the door where he can't reach.

And yes, shorten his nap during the day so he'll sleep more at night - or make his bedtime later.

ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:33 PM
You could get a baby monitor. That way you could hear him when he is up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shaybay218
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:09 AM
1 mom liked this

get those door alarms so if he opens the door it will go off!

true-love-21
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Nope he is in a big boy bed. He doesnt fall etc. Gate is a good idea. T.v is not in his room.

Quoting Venae:

Is baby not in a crib?  If he's playing w/his own toys in his room, what's the harm unless he's waking everyone up in the house?  

Is the t.v. in his room?  If so, get it out!  If not,  put up a gate across his door so he can't get to things in the house.  

Deadbolt all outside doors at the top of the door where he can't reach.

And yes, shorten his nap during the day so he'll sleep more at night - or make his bedtime later.

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Sorry.  Is he going to bed too early?

LittlePiggies5
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Put a chain on the front door so he cant get out....

Supermommyof423
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM
I have the same problem with my 11 month old son. For some reason he won't sleep in his crib. Instead he sleeps in his playpen. If he wakes up during the middle of the night i push his playpen into the living room. Then Mommy piles up in the recliner. Neither of my kids take a nap, and we try our best to have pastime to wear them out. We did this last night and my son still woke up. After pushing his playpen into the living room i fixed him a bottle and he went right to sleep.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
serenity223
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM

He probably is sleeping too much during the day.  Does he still take naps.  I would start by reducing those and maybe putting him to bed later also- so he is good and tired.  Also- of course take all the toys out of the room!  I would want to play too if there were toys surrounding me.  Keep his SLEEPING area very bland (and boring).  Too many people put babies in bed to play, not sleep and this leads to bad habits.  The crib or bed should be for sleeping only.  Don't use it at other times.  If he is up, no interactions, just put him back in bed and quietly say, "time to sleep."  You may have to do this several times a night until he gets the idea.  If safety is a concern, maybe go back to a monitor for a while so you can hear him.  Sleep is a habit and a learned behavior.  He has to re-learn, but you can help by trying these things.

MzSanchez81
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:54 PM

i have the issue some times with my little girl once in a while

gamelas
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM

bed rooms are for sleeping, take all the toys out.  Put a door alarm so you know when he gets up and put him back to bed.  and get him a light up alarm clock and teach him to come out of his room when the light is green,  unless he is coming to you for assistance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN